cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow router speed

4 REPLIES 4
Sightseer

Hi I joined in March on Faster fibre with guaranteeed speed of 45mb. Over the last month my speed has been dropping and is now been at 12mb for the last week.  I only have one socket in the houseshold and the router is connect with the microfilter. I have cnahe my set up  and i tried to reboot th Router on few occasions but nothing seems to work

How can get my speed back to what i'm paying for.

Cbn
Community Star

Hi @CBN1196,

If you go to the Service Centre what does it show for your 'estimated speed' and 'measured speed'. If your 'measured speed' is showing something closer to the speeds you would expect then have you tried switching the router off for over 30 minutes, then when you switch it back on it will start a new 'session' in the street cabinet, this can sometimes help in these situations.

From the service centre you can also do a test on your phone line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault on your line that might be affecting your speed. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

The staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.

Sightseer

Hi @Skynet_TX

The measured speed is only 12mb. Whereas the estimated speed is 45mb.

I did the line test last week and it did say there was a fault but nothing has improved. The measured speed was 18mb then.
I do also have a noisy landline.
Cbn
Community Star

Ok, so may well be that the fault has now caused your sync speed to be limited to 12mbps, when the staff pick this post up next week they will be able to check your connection to see if there is still a fault, if you have noise on the line then that is likely an indication that a fault does still exist.

You may get faster support from the live chat or by phoning up during opening hours over the weekend.

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi CBN1196

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 35mb.

In regards to the noise on the line, is the noise still present if you connect a corded handset at the test socket, with the router removed from the line?

Thanks

Debbie