Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow, slow, slow, slow, slow

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Team Player

21 months ago I took out a 2 year fibre contract because my slow broadband hovered 0.1Mb above the guaranteed minimum speed of 1.3Mb and could never be improved.  Not low enough to be able to cancel my contract without paying a penalty, but so slow that it was virtually useless. Even with a visit from a Bright Sparks engineer it couldn't be improved, regardless of the fact that it had started out at 3 Mb.
The guaranteed minimum fibre speed was 16.5Mb with an expected estimated speed between 18.2Mb and 26.4Mb. My initial speed was 23.5Mb which was mid range, acceptable and lasted for about 3 months before it started dropping.
Today my speed is 17.2Mb (0.7Mb above the minimum) according to the TalkTalk speed test with the router link rate showing 17998kbps. This is over a wired connection.
The router disconnects (overnight) approximately every five days and each time comes back a little slower. By the time my contract ends in just under three months I estimate my speed will be either at or marginally above the minimum guarantee, just like slow broadband was.
I see no point in going through the fault finding procedure because I've been there so many times I know it as well as the advisors do. Change the cables, change the filters 'can you plug straight into the master socket for 48 hours' (and completely lose the use of my landline for which I'm paying £10.00 a month) only to find that the improvement, if any, is so short lived that it's not worth the trouble.

My three closest neighbours (3 with BT - 1 with Sky) all get superior speeds to me (22Mb -25.7Mb) and yet we are all connected to the same telegraph pole and, presumably, the same BT cabinet. TalkTalk is either just SLOW or the speed is restricted.
TalkTalk have recently offered a contract renewal for a higher monthly fee than I'm paying now for a service that keeps getting worse. Why would I do that? Enough is enough.

Highlighted
Community Star

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi JohnLW,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Could I just confirm, have you tested with 2 different routers?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

I've finally decided to jump ship and signed up with a new provider.

As I suspected previously, the speed at my router has not only dropped to the bare minimum, absolutely guaranteed, rock bottom speed of 16.5Mbp/s it has dropped below that, and a speed test on my PC is showing even less at around 15Mbp/s. That's 36% slower than two years ago. That's the speed connected with cable, wireless is around 11.5Kbp/s. I doubt a different router would do anything for the speed into the router.
I appreciate the help people like Keith and the OCE's have tried to give over my nine years with TalkTalk (plus the two Bright Sparks engineers who have been called out) but the ongoing ever falling speed problem I've had has never been cured, even temporarily, and enough is enough.
The new provider may not be able to improve things but if I don't try them I'll never know if it's a general problem or just a problem with TalkTalk. It's a shame to have to leave because other parts of the service, such as the phone service, cost, billing etc, have been fine. However, with so much now needing to be done online, slower and slower internet connection is really not an option.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi JohnLW

I'm really sorry to hear this.

If there is anything else that we can help with on the Community then please let us know.

Thanks

Debbie