Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow speed, lots of disconnects

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Team Player

My first foray into talktalk community was due to slow speeds. I was supposed to have BT come out and replace the line from pole to flat as they highlighted that as a major issue, which never happened and I was left hanging.... (66 down and 16 up at cabinet)

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Product-Archive/Half-speed-quoted/td-p/1820412/page/2

I for some reason have stayed loyal to talktalk to now discover looking at my account, that I am paying for a speedboost even though only getting 40mbps at the router so what's the point in paying the extra £3 a month if not getting the correct speed bracket. Also why is my bill around £27 something when I don't even have a phone plugged in?

Recently I have been disconnected very regularly and can barely stream 1 entire film without some problem.

I would very much like some help in a) being put onto superfast fibre with no speedboost as that is what I am paying for, b) finally getting that line from pole to flat replaced and also to have a faster and more stable connection.

I have had a test on my line done with Vodaphone for comparison and can provide screenshots if needed to show upto 72.04Mbps and a guaranteed minimum 55Mbps or my money back and for cheaper than I'm paying with Talktalk.

Do you think you can help me please?

Regards,

Sue Lewis

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi slewis,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look at this now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see re-connections on the line. Are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line?

Is the Speed Boost showing active in MyAccount?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

I don't have a telephone to plug into the line I'm afraid, so wouldn't know... I'll try and borrow one from somewhere...

I'm also unsure if the speedboost is active, I will have to check that.

Ofcom also says that talktalk are one of the few companies that don't cap speed, however with the wifi hub, it always and only connects at 40.0Mbps down and 10.0Mbps up....

This to me seems highly suspicious, as surely it should vary slightly and not be bang on a solid number.

I have no faith in the new router at all as a friend of mine has it too and can only sync between 49 and 52 but with her old one she gets 61-62 down.

However my old router states connected at 39999 and 9999KB/s so again seems like there is a cap of some sort.

Is there any settings that could be capping the speed in the router?

I'll update when I've had chance to check my account as I can't remember my password for my account, only this forum one and am work atm.

Highlighted
Team Player

Here's my package details...

Also, I don't appear to have any noise on the line (borrowed a phone from a neighbour)

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi slewis,

Thanks for checking for noise. I've sent you a PM to confirm some details so that we can investigate further 

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Replied, thanks.

Highlighted
Community Team

Thanks for the PM. I'm sorry about this but I've checked your account and it doesn't look as though the speed boost has been added your account, would you like us to add it for you?

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi, yes very much so, also, can I get reimbursed for the amount of months I've been paying for it and not had it please?

Also why is my bill £27.50 opposed to £25.95 please?

Thanks 😄

Highlighted
Team Player

Again couldn't connect for ages last night, finally did get on. Had to reset gateway a couple of times overnight...

Could this be due to the router?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi @slewis

In terms of reimbursement, Ive checked your last 12 bills, You haven't been paying for the speed boost so we cant refund anything.  

Your package is :

Faster Fibre for 27.50 if you add the boost it your price will increase by £5

can you re-confirm that is what you want.

Highlighted
Team Player

It was supposed to be 22.95 and with the speedboost 25.95 when we renewed. What you are stating is not what we were told when renewing.

I don't understand what is going on.

If it can't be done for the same price, then can you at least help sort out the disconnection issues until the contract is up on 14th July this year as the phone support is pathetic with talktalk and problems seem to take an age to get sorted via forums.

I'm sorry to come across as annoyed but we've been given the wrong package from the start, talktalk are unwilling to reimburse for their screwup and your new fangled routers are blatantly capped.

This will be being reported to OFCOM also in order to make them aware that there are either caps or major speed lowering issues with your latest and greatest router hardware.

I'd appreciate a swift resolution to the disconnecting issues.

The router is currently plugged into a new microfilter in the back of the master socket to avoid any potential issues with the openreach supplied MK2 built in frontplate tech.

Please let me have at least a couple of months of stable fibre even at this overpriced and capped speed.

Regards

p.s. my son has brought this to my attention... showing on my account.

Super Safe Boost

I trust we aren't paying for this as he specifically stated on signup we didn't require it. :angryface:

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi slewis,

Your connection does appear to be very unstable, are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Would you like us to raise a complaint on your behalf to our CEO's Office?

(the supersafe boost isn't showing on your account, you're not paying for it) 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Chris,

As previously stated in this thread, I don't use the telephone service as I do not have a telephone plugged in.

I borrowed one from a neighbour to check when asked and it appeared to be fine i.e. no noise detected.

I feel my son and I have narrowed the issue down to the router if it is anything internal, however the old router a HG633 appears to act the same way.

Raising my discontent to CEO level will mean I can only try and argue a case of phone interpretation from 20months ago. This as I'm sure you are aware will probably get me nowhere and cause a lot of hassle for myself.

Now, I just need this issue sorting and if there is any chance of some form of compensation for the pathetic service I have been paying for the last few weeks, that would be welcomed.

I feel if you can get the work done which was promised in my first foray into these forums (please see my first post in thread for link) and source me a working and stable router to use for the next few months, that would at least restore some faith in TalkTalk's integrity.

Regards

Susan Lewis

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Susan

The overall speed of your connection is correct at 40mb and aligned with your current package.  

There have been some drops in the connection.  Would you like to try a replacement router to rule this out before we look towards an engineer.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Highlighted
Team Player

That would be appreciated, yes.

Thanks.

Regards

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

A new router is on the way for testing.

This should arrive in the next 24-48 working hours.

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted
Team Player

Still disconnecting albeit not as frequently. Guess I'll have to wait till this virus is quashed now

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi slewis

Did you receive the replacement router?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player
Yes I did, thanks. However it provides a slightly slower upload speed and the other day it disconnected nearly 10 times.
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi slewis,

Sorry to hear this and I'll take another look now. I've re-run the line test which hasn't detected a fault, however the re-connections look like they have started to reduce over the last 24hrs. How long has the new router been connected for? Did you also replace the cables and microfilter?

Thanks