Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow speeds

24 REPLIES 24
Loofah
Chat Champion

After moving house and spending what seemed my entire life on the phone to your call centre trying to get reconnected, I'm finally back online but getting widely varying speeds. 

This morning it was 6mbs and a bit later 17. Last night it was 27 which is the fastest its been but still quite a way off the guaranteed speed of 35

Can you check the profile please?

Community Team

Hi Loofah,

I'm sorry to hear you're unhappy with your speeds

Your current sync speed is 28.7Mbps. Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service such as noise on the line? 

Thanks

Chris

Loofah
Chat Champion
No, phone line is fine. Speed just dropped to 0.41mbps! This is why I had to call in the first place although it was very suspicious that the broadband started working very quickly after asking if the correct broadband had been switched on (faster fibre rather than ordinary)
Community Team

OK thanks, what device are you running the speed tests on? How does it connect to the router (wifi, ethernet cable, powerline adapter)?

Chris

Loofah
Chat Champion
...and now back to 26...
Loofah
Chat Champion
...and now varying between 9 and 12... sometimes lower. This is all over the place!
Community Team

And how does the device that you're running the speed test on, connect to your router?

Chris

Loofah
Chat Champion
ethernet cable. I also tried wirelessly with phone and ipad with similar results
Community Team

Do you have another router that you can test with? If not then we can arrange to send one

Chris

Loofah
Chat Champion
I should have mentioned - part of the getting back online involved an helpdesk manager deciding it was the router and sending a replacement. It was the wrong router for the package which sent alarm bells off and I got online shortly after asking if they had in fact connected the correct package. No settings had been altered, just endless diagnostics which got us nowhere. As soon as I asked the question I miraculously got broadband back...

So anyway, yes I have another router and I get the same results
ferguson
Community Star

When you say the "wrong" router which model do you mean? Are you currently connected at the test socket?

Loofah
Chat Champion
I'm on the faster fibre package with the Sagem hub. I got sent an older D-link model (the same as when I had standard broadband); it rang a few bells is all.

Yes, connected to the test socket
Community Team

Hi Loofah

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you power down your router for a full 30 minutes and then run a speed test following this?

Thanks

Debbie

Loofah
Chat Champion
Sure. I'll have to do it later but will update when complete
Community Team

Hi Loofah

Thank you. Please can you run the speed test using the TalkTalk speed tester so we can see the results?

Debbie

Loofah
Chat Champion
OK all complete. better but not 35!
Community Team

Hi Loofah,

I've checked and I can't see any speed test results. Just to confirm, did you use the TalkTalk Speed Tester? What throughput speed are you receiving at the moment?

Thanks

Loofah
Chat Champion
I did!

Now can't connect to https://www.talktalk.co.uk/help/servicestatus/ but all other sites are fine??

This site can’t be reached The connection was reset.
Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_RESET
Loofah
Chat Champion
Anyway, speed is usable which is what I care about for now - I'll just leave this and maybe circle back to it at a later date
ferguson
Community Star

You can use this as a shortcut way of getting to the TalkTalk speed checker, submit your full phone number at the end with no spaces and it will be logged against your account:

http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/