Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow speeds

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
First Timer

Noticed our speeds plummeting lately - in the evenings from about 5. Typically we get about 60ish Mbps with really low latency. We're now at something 2-4 with latency from 100-300. The talk talk tool reports is at 40, but Ookla, Google and various others are giving much, much lower numbers. Can't think the contention ratio in our area has increased as it's all old housing hooked up to the exchange. This feels like throttling - I've been working from home a lot lately so the issues been really noticeable.

Highlighted
Community Star

What is your router's downstream line rate and were these speed tests done on wired or wireless connections? Are wired better than wireless?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
First Timer

Router downstream is generally around 80 ish. Tests conducted wired and wirelessly. It certainly feels like some sort of peak time throttling or traffic shaping and what's more odd is the discrepancy between talktalks speed test and Ookla/Google. Would assume that any shaping is bypassed when using their sponsored/embedded speed test.

If it continues I'll get the work laptop hooked up to the router and run some more thorough tests with that.

Be interesting to see if it suddenly stops at the end of the month - maybe the unlimited isn't as unlimited as they say.

Highlighted
Community Star

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Mattcart81

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and the sync speed looks good.

Please can you run some speed tests when the speed is ok and some more speed tests when the speed drops using the TT speed tester so we can see the results?

Have you also run the speed tests wired and using a different device?

Thanks

Debbie