would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow superfast broadband

85 REPLIES 85
Highlighted
Crapbroadband
Conversation Starter

Hi, my super duper broadband is slow, I used to get nearly 80mbs but now down to low 50's. My guaranteed speed is mid sixties. My house is next to the street fibre hub. The check on your site tells me there is a problem with my broadband. My checks were done on master socket with a laptop wired and wireless both same result. No other devices on during checks.

I'll leave it in your capable hands to get sorted.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi 

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see re connections on the line which can affect the sync speed.

Is the connection dropping or has the router been rebooted?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Crapbroadband
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

I re booted the modem to see if that made a difference. Its even slower now, 45mbs.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you connect the router directly at the test socket for at least 48hrs without rebooting the router? We can then check the connection stats again to see if DLM has made any changes to the sync speed.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Crapbroadband
Conversation Starter

For your info I've noticed the data rate on the uplink/downlink on the modem settings is getting slower, it was 55700 and is now 47275 which if im right in thinking relates to the upper broadband speed and is why I'm getting in the 40's now and was in the fifties yesterday.

Highlighted
Crapbroadband
Conversation Starter

There doesnt appear to be a test socket on the master socket. If i take the plate off there is no where to plug in. Its a master socket 5C, openreach.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

This socket should have a test socket. Would it be possible to post a photo of your master socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Crapbroadband
Conversation Starter

Ill have another look.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

Thank you, there should be a small socket where you can connect a micro filter and then the router.

Debbie

Highlighted
Crapbroadband
Conversation Starter

Ive had another look and tried to insert the modem cable but it won't fit into the socket once the plate is removed, the plate has one male socket which must split into the modem and phone female sockets which are accessible when the plate is pushed on. There is a space in the bottom cetre where i can see wires but there is no socket. Maybe its been a cowboy job fitting this. Ive taken photos but ive no idea how to attach them to the forum text.

Highlighted
Crapbroadband
Conversation Starter

I must have been given duff info or you are thinking of wrong master socket. The engineer who fitted it told me it doesnt need micro filters as its built in to the socket and it hasnt had one attached since he put it in and i was getting 80mbs.

Help#@%!?

Highlighted
Crapbroadband
Conversation Starter

Think ive attached photos, fingers crossed.

Highlighted
Crapbroadband
Conversation Starter

No, that didnt work, not a valid extension?????

Highlighted
Crapbroadband
Conversation Starter

Ok, think I’ve sussed this out, it was because I don’t use micro filters that caused the confusion. I’ve dug one out from the junk drawer and connected it in the internal socket with front plate removed and connected phone and modem to filter. Is this what you meant by test socket ?

Thanks

Highlighted
martswain
Philosopher

Once you have the faceplate off, that removes the built-in filter/splitter.

You need to use the "phone" end of a dangly microfilter to connect to the test socket, then connect the ADSL cable to the smaller socket of the microfilter.

Martin
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

Did you connect the micro filter first?

This socket does have a pre filtered face plate but we also ask for the test socket to be used for fault testing.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

Yes this is correct.  Please can you leave the router directly at the test socket for at least 48hrs without rebooting the router? We can then check the connection stats again to see if DLM has made any changes to the sync speed.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Crapbroadband
Conversation Starter

Ok, will do. Thanks Debbie

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

Thank you. If you post back on this thread on Friday then I can check the connection stats/speed again.

Debbie

Highlighted
Geordie34
Chatterbox

Hi Debbie,

It's even worse now it's in the 30's now getting slower every day.

Thanks