Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow superfast broadband

Highlighted
Community Team
Highlighted
Crapbroadband
Conversation Starter

Hi, I’m getting back in touch as my super fast broadband with speed boost is slow again. I recently renewed my contract and was sent the latest router, I set it up yesterday but speed checks reveal it is only getting 55mbps whereas I was getting about 75mbps before. I checked the router settings and noticed that it is set for 60. I have carried out checks wired with no other connections and left it on over night for 24hrs but it is still 55, maybe it needs time to settle in but experience tells me it needs re jigged by yourselves or an open reach engineer to get it back to normal.

Over to you fine folks to sort it out.

Thanks for your help.

Highlighted
Community Team

Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the connection looks stable.

What is the make and model of the new router? Does the speed increase again if you re-connect the previous router?

Thanks

Highlighted
Crapbroadband
Conversation Starter

Hi, The router is a Sagecom fast 5364, the check I carried out told me it needed a software update, don't know how to do that. The connection is stable but slow, as I said the internal settings show its set for 60 so I believe it won't go any faster than this. I will reconnect the old router but don't think it will make any difference as I have noticed it getting slower over the past few months after being very good since it was reset by the open reach engineer in March. I'll get back to you once I've tested the old router.

Highlighted
Crapbroadband
Conversation Starter

I reconnected old router and as I suspected the speed is the same. This would appear to be what my line is set at and there is no problem with the router.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi,

The router that you have connected at the moment has the latest firmware version. 

Your speed has been 60Mbps since at least the 20th Sept, when there was a profile change. I can't see what the profile was before this.

How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router?

Chris

Highlighted
Crapbroadband
Conversation Starter

One telephone socket, nothing connected other than router and phone. I was getting 75 before for some time before it began to slow down.

Highlighted
Community Team

Thanks for the information. Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service? Do you have a dial tone? Any noise on the line? 

Chris

Highlighted
Crapbroadband
Conversation Starter

Dial tone fine and phone working perfectly.

Highlighted
Community Team

OK thanks, does your master socket have a test socket?

Chris

Highlighted
Crapbroadband
Conversation Starter

The master socket is one of the new ones with built in filter so I believe it doesn't. I could be wrong tho.

Highlighted
Community Team

Your master socket should have a test socket, please see our Master socket guide. Could you connection your router to the test socket and leave it there for at least 48 hours. 

If there's then no improvement we can raise this to BT Openreach for further investigation 

Thanks
Chris

Highlighted
Crapbroadband
Conversation Starter

Ok, I will be back in touch in a couple days. Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Team
Highlighted
Crapbroadband
Conversation Starter

Hi, I've not been able to get back in touch as I've been away. Got back today and obviously router has been connected and running since I last spoke to you. The speed has not changed, currently 55mpbs, was getting 75-76 before. 

I realise the staff that deal with this will not be on at the weekend so could this be followed up on Monday without me having to chase it up, thanks.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi,

Thanks for the update. Could I just confirm, when you re-connected the previous router was this connected for at least 48hrs or did you unplug it straight away after checking the speed?

Thanks

Highlighted
Crapbroadband
Conversation Starter

Hi, the speed was checked with the old router prior to using the new one and it was 55mbps, I then put the new one on it was 55mbps, I put the old one back on and checked speed straight away and it was 55mbps. The new one has been on uninterrupted since before I went away for the week and it is now reading as 55mbps.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

Your line is showing in sync at just under 60mb.

If the router has been connected at the test socket without being rebooted then the next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Crapbroadband
Conversation Starter

Hi, Yes, if you could arrange that please.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange an engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie