Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow (useless) wifi.

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Participant

I've been experiencing a lot of problems with my Wi-Fi since last summer, with several engineers coming out, but still nothing is resolved. The primary device I use is a PS4 which is lucky to be getting 1mbps download (right now it's at 122.6kbps). I get a few days of decent connection now and again & it's costing me over £40.00 per month. There was meant to be an engineer coming out before Christmas and I'm still waiting, it's becoming very frustrating considering talktalk we're the ones to email me in the first place, saying they had detected a fault.

Highlighted
Community Star

How do you connect wireless, wired, or a mixture? If a mixture is a wired connection better than wireless?

It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is.

To help diagnose this issue, please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http://192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password: admin        (unless you have set your own password).

If you use the HG633 & DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, they have their own unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.

Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.

On the HG633 this is at:-

Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information

On the DSL-3782 go to the home page & copy the stats from the DSL & IPv4 pages.

If you have the new TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub this can be seen via:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage Advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub

Click on the General tab then scroll down to the page to the xDSL section & copy & paste them into your reply.

Next can you also go to this speed checker (it is useful to have speed test figures taken at the same time as gathering the router's statistics):-

http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

Alternatively use:-

https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

Do this on both wireless & wired (if you have wired), but with never more than one device connected at a time.

Please can you paste the results here?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi sduff87

I'm sorry to hear this.

Are you experiencing any issues with devices connected wired?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

I don't have any wired connections. It's just the same thing over and over again, it isn't a problem with the router either as I have two routers, both with the same results.Talktalk detected a fault (most likely on the line itself) and contacted me to say they would send someone out......in December. Two monthly payments of over £40 later and still nothing.

Highlighted

Hi sduff87

Thanks for your reply.

I've completed a line test which has detected a possible fault.

Is your landline service working ok when making calls? (any noise)

Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

I've connected to the test socket and the connection has not improved. 

Highlighted

Hi sduff87

Apologies for this.

Is the connection dropping or is it slow? I will then raise this over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

It's both, it's either dropping altogether or running so slow everything takes forever to load and streaming is buffering or running on the lowest quality.

Highlighted

Hi sduff87 

I've escalated this fault over to our Network Team for investigation and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Thank you.

Highlighted

Hi sduff87

The next step will be to arrange a BT Openreach engineer visit.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi sduff87,

Thanks for the PM, I've replied requesting a bit more information 

Chris

Highlighted

Hi sduff87,

Thanks for the PM, I've passed on your availability to our network team, I'll let you know when I receive confirmation of the date and time slot booked

Chris

Highlighted

Hi sduff87,

Our network team have confirmed that the engineer visit is booked for 27/02 AM (08:00-13:00) - please let us know how you get on

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Participant

An engineer came this morning & found a corroded wire on the phone pole, which he fixed, and his tests came back at the speed I should be getting but nothing has improved!

I’m currently connected to the test socket & the connection is just terrible. Could someone please check again to see if a fault is still being detected.

Highlighted

Hi sduff87,

Thanks for the update and I'll take a look now. I've re-run the line test which is now clear and the sync speed has increased. Could you try switching the router off for a full 30 minutes and then retest the speed again to see how it compares.

Thanks