would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slower Internet than I used to get on a cheaper Package

6 REPLIES 6
Bblueroom
First Timer

Hi,

I used to have a package where the maximum download was something like 50 megabits /s and i would consistently get 40 to 45 megabits /s which i was very happy with. Then around June 2018 i heard there was a new package which would take my maximum to 67 megabits, it also meant i had to get a boost which was an extra £5 per month. Either way i went for it as I wanted this 60+megabit /s, i realised right away that it was not as good as before as i was getting around 30 megabits /s ,but i dealt with it. however now that i have renewed my contract I would like to get this sorted, while speaking to someone on the phone i mentioned that my broadband was slower than i would like so they did a check and said everything was fine so i also mentioned that my router was 1 or 2 generations old. Sadly that didn't offer to replace it, so over the weekend i have purchased a high end router to see if that made a slight improvement but it has not. I highest receive is 37.2 megabits and that's if i am standing right next to the router with WiFi or connected by Ethernet. I believe my minimum is 36.8 megabits /s or something similar which i am getting below all the time

Any help would be great appreciated

Thanks

Susan

KeithFrench
Community Star

Have you turned your router off for a minimum of 30 minutes, otherwise it will not pick up the faster speed?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Bblueroom
First Timer

Hi Keith, 

I did not turn the router off for at least 30 mins, so I left it switched off over night and this morning I am still getting the same readings. Would say that It could be my open reach modem as its quite old but I have gotten 45+ megabits in the past so I should at least see same speeds.

Thanks for your suggestion

Susan

KeithFrench
Community Star

No problem Susan, I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi Susan

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 40mb.

Please can you power down the router for a full 30 minutes and then leave the router connected at the test socket for 48hrs (without rebooting the router) We can check the connection stats again on Wednesday to see if DLM has made any changes to the line profile/speed.

Thanks

Debbie

Bblueroom
First Timer

Hi Debbie,

Sorry for late reply i have been rather busy this week. I am happier at the fact the internet has been more consistent after I changed the router and I getting better readings even in areas of the house far from my router (still between 30-37 at most). I did what you said and have not rebooted the router since your reply. 

Is there anything that can be done to increase the sync higher, since the limit is 68mb. Or is a case that the highest my house can get is 40mb, even though I used to get around 45mb

thanks 

Susan

Community Team

Hi Susan

Thanks for keeping us updated.

I've checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at 40mb.

Please can you power down your router for a full 30 minutes and then post back on this thread so we can check this again.

Thanks

Debbie