Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slower connection speeds after upgrading to Wifi Hub

29 REPLIES 29
CookieUnicorn85
Team Player

We upgraded to the new Wifi Hub a few months ago after problems with dropped internet connection on the old super router but noticed that our connection speed (i.e. what is delcared in the router dashboard) had dropped from 75Mbps to 60Mbps.

We thought it would settle down and return to normal but it hasn't.  I found this old thread of someone having the same problem and wondered if the OCE team could have a look at this issue for us. Maybe something to do with line sync speeds?

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Product-Archive/Slower-fibre-speed-after-installing-new-wifi-hub...

We have the speed boost option which should give 67Mbps but currently does not.

Nothing about the home network has changed except changing from a super router to  the Wifi Hub. Switching back to a super router giving 35 mins downtime, still produces a 60Mbps stated connection.

thanks

Gemma

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi Gemma,

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi CookieUnicorn85

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which has detected a possible fault with the landline service. Are you experiencing any faults when making calls? (any noise)

Thanks

Debbie

CookieUnicorn85
Team Player

Hi @OCE_Debbie

Thanks for the reply.  We do not use the landline for phone calls and have no access to a handset because no one we know acutally uses landline for calls anymore so I could not comment on if there is an issue with noise on calls.

regards

Gemma

Community Team

Hi Gemma

If you are experiencing a fault with the landline service then this would affect the BB service and has to be investigated first.

Would it be possible to borrow a phone just for testing purposes?

Thanks

Debbie

CookieUnicorn85
Team Player

hi @OCE_Debbie 

I have managed to finally track down a wired handset and tested it on my line. the sound is ok, no crackles or noise off the test calls.

The declared connection speed in the dashboard has now dropped to 55Mbps

regards

Gemma

Community Team

Hi Gemma

Thanks for testing this.

Please can you add a mobile number to your Community Profile, I can then raise this fault.

Thanks

Debbie

CookieUnicorn85
Team Player

Hi @OCE_Debbie 

I have now done this for you.

Regards

Gemma

Community Team

Hi Gemma

Thank you.

When I've ran the line test again this morning it is now clear (no faults showing)

Would it be possible to leave the router at the test socket for 48hrs without rebooting the router? We can then check to see if DLM starts to increase the sync speed.

Thanks

Debbie

CookieUnicorn85
Team Player

Hi @OCE_Debbie 

After a long process we have now got the router in the test socket.

regards

Gemma

Community Team

Hi Gemma

Thank you. We can check the connection stats again on Thursday to see if DLM has made any changes to the line profile/speed.

Debbie

CookieUnicorn85
Team Player

Hi @OCE_Debbie 

Thank you will look forward to your reply  on Thursday.

Regards

Gemma

CookieUnicorn85
Team Player

Hi @OCE_Debbie 

We have left the router connected for 48 hours to the test socket and the speed has actually dropped. it is now connecting at 49Mbps down and 19Mbps up.

Are there any updates from your side?

As a side note, before coming on to the forum earlier in the week, we tested the speed with an old TT DLink router (35 mins downtime) and nothing improved and for this test socket experiment, we used a fresh phone cable and microfilter from the Dlink router box which would generally rule out the router itself and our own internal wiring causing the issue.

We have an Openreach MK2 socket so don't usually need a microfilter as the data line is a seperate hardwired output at the base of the socket but the test socket required one.

No phones were connected to the socket as per our usual set up

regards

Gemma

Community Team

Hi Gemma,

Thanks for the update 

As you've tested with 2 different routers as the test socket and the sync speed hasn't improved then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further, to do this can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also PM'd you to confirm some other details

Thanks

Chris

CookieUnicorn85
Team Player

hi @OCE_Chris 

I need this speed drop sorted out but the times concern me because I work and my husband has to do the school runs. will we get a call before they arrive or would they just turn up.

having 2 blocks is not really helpful if they need access to the property with no notice.

the morning would be ok if it wasnt between 8 and 9 obviosuly.

regards

Gemma

Community Team

Hi Gemma,

The engineers do generally ring ahead but we can't guarantee that they will do this, unfortunately there would really need to be someone available for the full time slot

Chris

CookieUnicorn85
Team Player

hi @OCE_Chris 

I now have my work rota for next week so what days are we looking at for an AM engineer visit?

I've PM'd you the details.

regards

- Gemma

Community Team

Thanks for the PM. Do you just want me to book the earliest AM appointment available next week (Monday or Tuesday)?

Chris

CookieUnicorn85
Team Player

Hi @OCE_Chris 

Monday AM would be great as im not working that day but i am on Tuesday.

Do i Need to do anything in the mean time?

Regards

Gemma

Community Team

Just in case Monday isn't available, is there another day later in the week when you can be available? (No you don't need to do anything) 

Thanks
Chris