Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slower fibre and pages timing out since new router and line noise fixed

ANSWERED
Community Team

Hi Peter

I've contacted our Network Team to see if we can get some further information from BT Openreach.

I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Peter

BT Openreach have closed this fault.

Our Network Team have advised the following 

If this work is to do with a cable fault and it’s only affecting only 1 customer then unfortunately we can’t really do much. However BT Openreach are aware of it and they are going to fix it. 

The only thing we can do from here is raise another repair case which will not guarantee them speeding the process up unless we can show a number of our customers on the same cable link are being affected. 

Apologies for this.

Debbie

peterp1
Super Duper Contributor
Hi Debbie
Thanks for trying.
I know none of my neighbours are affected (one on Talktalk the other on Sky) however we do have a community village forum so will see if anyone else is affected in the village and if so get back to you.
From the information I have gathered it seems that long ago BT either found copper cable difficult to get hold of or it became very expensive so they moved over to a Aluminium core cable. This has proved over time not to be a good replacement for Copper and has given a lot of trouble. It seems that they moved my line onto another that whilst no noise is evident that particular line has other problems.
They have no more spare cables between my house and the fibre cabinet and are therefore going to remove the faulty Aluminium ones and replace them with new copper lines and until they do I will have to live with the problem.
Not a very satisfactory result from my point of view but again I understand it's not your fault either.
I can only ask that you pressure as much as possible to get the work done.
As this has been a problem since 17th of January and is not due to be put right until end of March can I claim compensation from Open Reach? You will see from my account information you have been quite good on this front up to today.
I assume as soon as the fix has been carried out either you or me should be informed, I hope.
I will wait here with my daisy wheel getting dizzy until the end of March.
Thanks for your help
regards Peter
Community Team

Hi Peter

Apologies for this.

Would you like me to raise this fault back to our Network Team to pass back to BT Openreach?

Thanks

Debbie

peterp1
Super Duper Contributor
Hi Debbie
yes please.
Regards Peter
Community Team

Hi Peter

No problem. I will ask our Network Team to arrange this now and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Peter

We will need to arrange another engineer visit. Please can you provide your availability and also confirm possible engineer charges. (to advise this visit may not result in the work being completed any sooner)

Our Network Team also advised the following:

I have called BT OR and they were unable to confirm to me any schedule dates for any repair work which is normal as they would send us a formal notice if any planned engineering worked is happening especially when it's to do with the cabinet.

Thanks

Debbie

peterp1
Super Duper Contributor
Hi Debbie
I am available any time, any day from Monday 4th.
I understand the possibility of charges however as OR have visited twice and both engineers confirmed a line problem I wouldn't expect any.
It maybe irrelevant but received a letter from Gigaclear this morning saying they are about to commence work in the village to start installing full fibre cabling to a connection point outside every property.
Is this why OR are not in a rush to correct the problem?
Regards Peter
Community Team

Hi peterp1

Do you have a preference of morning or afternoon appointment?

Chris

peterp1
Super Duper Contributor
Hi Chris
I prefer early morning if poss.
Community Team

OK thanks. I've passed on your availability to our network team, we'll let you know when we receive confirmation of the date and time slot booked

Chris

Community Team

Hi peterp1,

I've received confirmation from our network team that they've booked the engineer visit for 05/03/2019 AM (08:00-13:00) - please let us know how you get on 

Thanks

Chris

peterp1
Super Duper Contributor
Hi Chris
Engineer has been, a knowledgable chap with a third reason why this is happening.
According to him O.R. are seeing an increase of this problem on the Talktalk network despite the line passing all their test, they think this is caused by congestion on TT servers, emphasis on think!
He bought the latest test kit with him and carried out the full range of test, showing me the results for every test. The only one it failed on was line length (that we are already aware off), however, testing from the cabinet to exchange and cabinet back to my house this test passed.
To prove or disprove their suspicions (using the HG633 router) we have changed the Primary DNS from Talktalk (79.79.79.79) to Google (1.1.1.1) leaving the secondary as 79.79.79.80. Apparently you cannot change the DNS on the latest super router hence using the HG.
He has left me his contact details to report back on how this change affects the issue over the next week or so as they need feedback to confirm their suspicions .
When asked about the supposed lack of clean lines in the village he looked a bit blank and had no idea what I was talking about!
I am concerned about being in the middle of a "blame game of tennis" but have to say early tests show improvement.
Any comments?
Regards Peter
Community Team

Hi Peter,

Thanks for keeping us updated. Would you like me to pass your comments over to our Network Team now or would you prefer to monitor the connection for a few days first?

Thanks

peterp1
Super Duper Contributor
Hi Michelle
I think we should monitor it over the next few days.
FYI only, my daughter (with TT) is having similar problems and her line also checks out ok. As a heavy user she is going to do the same and see so will also be able to provide more feedback to OR, and you should you wish.
Will get back in touch in the next few days.
Regards Peter
Community Team

Hi Peter,

Ok thanks and we can provide your feedback over to our Network Team for further investigation.

Thanks

peterp1
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Michelle

UPDATE

To correct my earlier post you CAN change the DNS on the Sagem router, sorry Open Reach misinformed me.

In the light of the above I change the DNS on the Sagem router, didn't notice any improvement, still very slow loading web pages and still pages timing out.

Fitted the HG633 last Thursday with revised DNS, as before better than the Sagem but the problem is still there, I tried a couple of other DNS numbers still no better so I dont think DNS is the problem.

FYI (1) the last Open Reach engineer who visited on the 5th said he had no knowledge of the lack of "clean" lines in the village.

(2) The DNS change also did not cure my daughters problem but she is dealing with her own issue direct with Talktalk so going to let her get on with it as she is not anywhere near me and on a completely different exchange.

Any further thoughts?

Regards Peter

Community Team

Hi peterp1,

Thanks for the additional information. Would you like me to pass this back over to our Network Team?

Thanks

peterp1
Super Duper Contributor
Hi Michelle
Yes please, as we are now halfway into March and if Open Reach are true to there word we maybe able to get two more engineer visits and tests before they put the new cables in.
Have been doing some research on this problem and quite often its cured with whats been described as a "Port Swap" at the local cabinet. I assume thats posh talk for moving the line over.
Regards Peter
Community Team

Hi Peter,

I've passed this back over now and requested an update. I'll let you know as soon as I receive an update back.

Thanks