Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slower fibre and pages timing out since new router and line noise fixed

ANSWERED
Community Team

Hi Peter,

I've received an update from our Network Team to advise that they have looked into this but can't find any issues. They have also checked and confirmed that this is not a congestion issue. Just to confirm, how often are you experiencing the page time outs at the moment?

Thanks

peterp1
Super Duper Contributor
Hi Michelle
Let me just confirm this problem started about the 17th January when Open Reach fixed a line noise problem.

Since then the first Open Reach engineer picked up a high resistance and rectified corroded connections between the house and exchange.

The second engineer said it was my line but there was no spare serviceable lines available in the village, because all the lines that are not in use are defective-nothing to do with congestion. He said that Open Reach hope to replace these sometime near the end of March and then I can be moved onto one of the new ones, he also replaced the Master socket for the latest type as a matter of course.

The third engineer blamed Talktalk servers saying they were congested and advised I changed the DNS to Google, that was no better.

As this happened after fixing the noisy line I believe the second engineer and I hoped that you (Talktalk) would chase Open Reach to get the new lines in quickly or at least confirm that they had the work in hand and when as Open Reach wont talk to me directly.

I confirm that a page timing out is not happening as much with the HG633 (that is on line now) but happens constantly on the latest Sagem router. But with the HG I get a lot of the spinning daisy wheel.
From the day I went on fibre I have never had any web pages loading delays until the 17th January.
TBH my patiences is wearing a bit thin now after almost 2 months and still no firm answer despite a total of 5 visits from some form of engineer.
I know you are doing your best but I have fibre that is giving me a service nearly a bad (at times) as dial up was, and that is beginning to frustrate me.
Regards Peter
Community Team

Hi Peter,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. In regards to the slow web pages with the wifi hub, this has been fed back to our Products Team who are still looking into this and trying to replicate this ourselves. Could I just confirm, what specific issues are you experiencing with the connection and the HG633 at the moment?

I've asked our Network Team now to re-check to see if any line work has been planned and I'll let you know as soon as I know more.

Thanks

peterp1
Super Duper Contributor
HI Michelle
You wont replicate the problem by testing the wifi hub, as I said in post 57, I have used 4 different routers on my line and some are better than others but they all replicate the same problem to a different degree. The problem being intermittent slow loading of web pages that result sometimes in the page timing out.
I rated, out of 10, each router in the post and the one with the lowest rating (out of 10) being the one I had most problems with. Also while the speeds for each are acceptable the routers with the lowest rating also had the lower speeds. This ranges from 30 to 37Mbs down & 5.5 to 6.3Mbs up. I dont have a problem with line speed however I used to run at a constant 36-37Mbs since I first went on Fibre sometime ago.
My ratings were :-
HG635. 8 out of 10.-borrowed from a friend.
HG633. 6 out of 10.-sent by you, should have been a HG635
Sagem. 4 out of 10.-Sent by customer relations.
DSL3782. 2 out of 10.-Sent by you and returned.

So whatever router is in use I still have the same problem.

To try and describe the problem exactly I will use website A & website B as examples after using Google as the search engine (clicking on the link in Google results).
Website A,
click the link and wait, will eventually load the page,
click the same link for a second time, page appears almost instantaneously,
click it for a third time and the page times out.

Website B,
Click the link and the page loads instantaneously,
click it for a second time and it times out,
click it a third time and it loads Instantaneously.

As you can see there is no pattern to the problem but it is worse on secure check out sites such as Paypal and on line shopping payments.
Regards Peter

peterp1
Super Duper Contributor
Sorry Michelle a bit more info, the above is all connected by cable, the problem is worse using my phone on a wireless connection irrespective of what router I am using.
Community Team

Hi Peter,

Our Network Team have looked into this and advised that they are unable to see if there is any planned work by BTOR. They said  the only way they can check this is if the engineer provided them with the reference number for this work.

How often would you say it's currently happening a day? Does it seem to be worse at peak times or during wet or windy weather? Do you have a lot of devices using the connection at the time when this occurs? Does it happen when using different browsers and also different devices?

Apologies for all the questions but I'm just trying to see if we can pinpoint specific times/weather/scenarios when this is worse.

Thanks

peterp1
Super Duper Contributor
HI Michelle
The problem is constant, whatever time of day and in any weather conditions.
I have one desktop connected by Ethernet and an i phone on wireless. I rarely use the laptop at home but have tested with it (both wired & wireless) and all 3 devices have the same problem.
I said in a much earlier post that I normally use Firefox but have also tested with Chrome & Edge with no differentiation between them. I have also replaced all associated leads again with no change.
Previous DNS changes (from TT to Google) have also not improved it.
I understand the need for all the questions, being ex motor trade it was the quizzing of the customer, how, why, when & where, that gave clues to the problems source. I have approached this situation with the same logic and the only common thing was the fixing of the line noise in early/mid January and its not been right since, the rest is history.
Regards Peter
Community Team

Hi Peter,

Ok thanks for letting me know and I'll let you know as soon as I know more.

Thanks

peterp1
Super Duper Contributor
Hi Michelle
Just an update,
I normally obtain 35-37Mbps down load but................
On the 20th February the test started at 60Mbps, peaked @ 126.5 dropping back to 61.6.
Today the download was 23.1MBps.
A follow up test gave a normal reading of 37.7Mbps.
I can only say things are not right.
Regards Peter
Community Team

Hi Peter,

Our Network Team have suggested that as all their testing hasn't detected any issues, to arrange a TalkTalk engineer visit. Would you like us to arrange this for you?

Thanks

peterp1
Super Duper Contributor
Hi Michelle
Sorry to be rude and blunt but, we have been here before, see post 17 and the result of his visit post 27. The engineer (who has visited before on another situation) was no better than a chocolate fire guard. Spent more time telling me about his high powered jobs he had and giving me wrong information as well as denying he had reset the router.
With respect to your network team, their test may not show anything wrong but I can tell you there is!
If 3 devices are showing the same symptoms on 3 different routers (your latest one being the worst of all 3) and all associated cables being replaced plus the latest master phone socket fitted with no change the problem, that cannot be traced, it has to be outside my house. I again reiterate that this only happened after the line noise was fixed in mid January.
So far 5 engineers have attended with no fix and numerous explanations as to the reason for this, thats 5 half days I have wasted in an effort to conclude this.
I have said numerous times the only explanation from OR is the lack of available new lines to change me onto, we still do not know if this is fact or fiction but it makes sense to me otherwise OR would have changed me over to another line before now.
To conclude my rant if you feel a Talktalk engineer would be of any use arrange it but please dont send the same one as last time.
Regards Peter
Community Team

Hi Peter,

I'm sorry to hear this. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to guarantee that this wouldn't be the same TalkTalk Engineer as the previous visit. Would you like me to raise a complaint into our CEO's Office so that they can look into this fault further for you?

Thanks

peterp1
Super Duper Contributor
Hi Michelle
Thanks for getting back to me.
I think if we have exhausted every option you have at your disposal and further engineers visits I am sure would be a waste of time. I dont feel there is much option.
So if you could escalate this problem I would be obliged.
Thank you, and the other OCE's for their assistance so far.
Regards Peter
Community Team

Hi peterp1,

Ok. I've just raised the complaint over to our CEO's Team now and you should be contacted within 5 working days to discuss this further.

Thanks

peterp1
Super Duper Contributor
Solution
UPDATE....
Time is a great healer, to quote Allison Pearson, and this is true in this case.
Now 8 months further on and with no (known) intervention from anyone I can report that my broadband is now better than it ever has been.
My download speeds are extremely steady with little or no fluctuations and are constantly 37.2 Mbps or above. The same can be said for my upload speeds these are again very steady and have improved from around 6 to an average of 8.4 Mbps, the best ever.
I never thought it would take this long for things to settle down.
Maybe the cure for my problem was just patience.
Community Team

Hi Peter,

I'm sorry it took so long but glad to hear that your service has improved, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Chris