cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slower fibre speed after fault rectified.

ANSWERED
15 REPLIES 15
Yorky678
Team Player

My fibre broadband had been loosing it's connection . The initial speed was between 22mbps to 20mbps prior to the fault occuring. It eventually dropped to around 14mbps and did not loose connection. I reported this to TalkTalk and an Openreach engineer was booked. The fault was found to be in an outside cable and was repaired on 6thMarch 2019. The engineer informed me that I would now achieve my previous speed before the fault occured. I turned off the wifi hub for 30 minutes and reconnected. Unfortunately the speed remains around 14mbps to 15mbps. I contacted the technical department and spent almost an hour explaining the situation only to be told that I was achieving an acceptable speed for my package. All I wanted was the speed that I had before the fault to be returned.

Community Team

Hi Yorky678,

I'm sorry to hear this. Just to confirm, is the connection now stable following this engineer visit as it can take between 24-48hrs for DLM to make changes to the sync speed if the connection remains stable?

Thanks

Yorky678
Team Player

Thank you for your reply. The connection is now stable but still remains at 15mbps. When I contacted technical support via online chat they recommended that I have another Openreach engineer visit and they booked an appointment for Tuesday. As you say if it takes up to 48hrs. to kick in maybe I should cancel the appointment.

Community Team

Hi Yorky678,

Thanks for the update. If the sync speed hasn't started to improve then it may be worth going ahead with the engineer visit. It would be worth keeping an eye on the sync speed over the weekend to see if there is any change.

Thanks

Yorky678
Team Player

Thank you for your response. I will monitor the speed over the next two or three days to see if the speed returns to it's previous level.

Kind regards 

Yorky 678

Community Team

Hi Yorky678,

Ok thanks and please let us know how you get on 🙂

Thanks

Yorky678
Team Player

Hi Michelle

Unfortunately I had to cancel engineer visit. However my speed has not improved after almost a week. Maybe the DLM has not increased the speed as it is still running at 14.5 to 15mbps as it was prior to the fault being rectified. 

Regards. Yorky 678

Community Team

Hi Yorky678

I've checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at 21.5mb.

Line tests have detected a possible landline fault, is the landline service working ok when making calls?

Thanks

Debbie

Yorky678
Team Player

Hi Debbie

The line is working fine. When the engineer came on the 6th March  she checked everything in the property and fitted the latest filtered socket as an upgrade and confirmed that the fault was outside the property. The cable where the fault was is underground and just before a box where there is yet another joint. I contacted TalkTalk  regarding the speed yesterday they carried out various tests and informed me that everything was ok. I wondered if there maybe a fault on the other joint  which was not allowing the DLM to increase the speed.

Yorky678

Community Team

Hi Yorky678,

Ok thanks for confirming this. As the voice service is ok then we can focus on the broadband speed. Have you noticed any improvement in speed over the last 48hrs as I can see that DLM has increased the sync speed?

Thanks

Yorky678
Team Player

Hi Michelle 

I have just carried out a speed test and I am getting 14mbps. So still no improvement since the fault repair. 

Regards

Yorky678

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Yorky678,

I'm sorry for the delay. Could you try switching the router off for a full 30 minutes and then run another wired speed test to see if there is any improvement in speed please.

Thanks

Yorky678
Team Player

Hi Michelle.

I will turn the router off for 30 minutes and re-test on a wired connection. The readings I was achieving were from a wired connection . I have logged into my router and that is showing 22.9mbps up and 7.2mbps down, I don't no if this is of any significance. Will get back to you shortly. 

Yorky678.

Community Team

Hi Yorky678,

Ok thank you. If the sync speed increases, however there is no improvement in throughput speeds then we usually advise switching the router off for a full 30 minutes and then retesting the speed again as this will reset the current session and can sometimes increase the throughput speeds.

Thanks

Yorky678
Team Player
Solution

Hi Michelle

I have reconnected the router after 30 minutes and the readings have returned to the levels they were before the fault. Wired is now 26.9mbps down and 8.4 mbps up and wifi is 25.44mbps down and 7.19mbps up. It would appear that DLM has now adjusted the speeds. Thankyou  for your help. It is much appreciated. 

Yorky 678

Community Team

Hi Yorky678,

I'm glad to hear this and thanks for letting me know 🙂

Thanks