would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slower speed than the WIfi Hub suggests I should have

51 REPLIES 51
Rob_B
Conversation Starter

Hey,

Our Wifi Hub is showing a down speed of 39.9Mbps and upload speed of 10Mbps, yet connecting to it with ethernet and doing a speed test returns a speed of between 29~31Mbps down (it hit 28.5Mbps once too), and ~9 upload on both speedtest.net and speed.io. Downloading from the net things seem to hit 3.6/3.7MBps (steam, origin, uplay, through a browser). So not sure what's going on.

I can't see the noise margin on the Wifi Hub either, yet I could when I connected the HG635. 

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers.

Community Team

Hi Rob_B,

Throughput speeds are always lower than sync speed, generally around 80% but can be higher or lower. Current sync speed is 38Mbps. Can you run a couple of speed tests at least 10 minutes apart on the My Account speed checker on a device connected by Ethernet cable to your router (can you try to make sure that no other devices/applications accessing the internet at the time). Can you post the results

Chris

Rob_B
Conversation Starter
Hey Chris,

Yea I wasn't sure if that was the case or not, it just seemed like a bigger margin than when we were on TTs ADSL and it's getting near to the minimum guaranteed speed, dropping below it that one time. I shouldn't complain really, it's much better than the 3Mbps we were getting! XD

Originally thought it might be my 10+year old belkin draft n usb adapter, but it's holding up surprisingly well with the Wifi hub! Will do some tests later on this evening and post back.
Cheers,
Rob
Community Team
Rob_B
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris, 

Managed to do some speed tests, ethernet speeds show about ~30.5Mbps/31Mbps down 9.3Mbps up.  This actually mirrors some additional testing I did over WiFi on speed.io. Sync speed is now up to 40Mbps, shame the down speed is so much further away from the sync speed than the up speed is. Never mind. 

Cheers,

Rob

Community Team

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the update. As the sync speed has now increased. Could you try switching the router off for a full 30 minutes and then run another wired speed test to see if there is any further increase in throughput speed.

Thanks

Highlighted
Rob_B
Conversation Starter
Hi Michelle,

Done the above, TTs speed checker is giving me 404 errors, speed.io returns 37.6 down 9.5 up, Fast.com returns 35 down 7.7 up. So speed has gone up, will have to see what stability is like on Teamspeak.

Cheers for the help!
Community Team

Hi Rob_B,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how the connection compares 🙂

Thanks

Rob_B
Conversation Starter

Heya, 

speed has definitely increased, I'm downloading from steam/origin at around 4.6/4.7 MBps, whereas before it was around 3.4/3.6MBps.  

The connection seems to randomly drop though, I can be downloading for ages with no issue (78GB of Battlefront 2) while on teamspeak and have no issue, then suddenly the internet will disconnect.  

Think it's done it a few times, maybe 5/6, but it's difficult to tell because, unless i missed it, the WiFi Hub doesn't allow too much filtering of it's logs and it starts with the oldest entry first (there's 300 pages!).  Ping/packetloss is fine, heck even when I am downloading at the above speed, my ping to our teamspeak server is only at 90 ± 10 and packetloss<1%.

Any suggestions or info that you can think of?

Merry Christmas,

Rob

Rob_B
Conversation Starter
Update: I've also noticed that twice on incoming phone calls the internet has dropped, as such I've changed filter. I can't remember which one I got with the WiFi hub and which one I had on originally, annoyingly they look identical! Amusingly, the WiFi hub says it's been connected for 5 days, so it's obviously on the christmas spirits XD
Community Team

Hi Rob_B

Apologies for the delay.

How have you found the connection since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

Rob_B
Conversation Starter

Hey Debbie,

AFAIK, it's been mostly fine since changing the filter. However it has just dropped with an inbound call which didn't show up on caller display. Is it possible that our two issues are related?

Cheers,
Rob

Edit: In all honests, i don't think the filter is the issue and I think I've just been lucky/not noticed since changing it over with the exception of this evening.

Community Team

Hi Rob_B

Thanks for your reply.

A voice fault can affect the broadband connection.

Would it be possible to connect the phone, router and filter at the test socket and make a couple of test calls to see if this affects the BB connection?

Is there also any noise on the line? (crackling)

Thanks

Debbie

Rob_B
Conversation Starter

Heya,

So my testing so far this morning, because it booted us off again after receiving a call where caller display failed us at 8.15am, has consisted of

1) Test call will my mobile as is, using filter #1, longish ring probably around 20 seconds
2) Test using test socket, using filter #1, longish ring probably around 20 seconds
3) Test using test socket and previous filter, filter #2, longish ring probably around 20 seconds
4) Test using test socket, using filter #2 not letting the phone ring for as long, phone ringing for ~3/4 seconds
5) Test using test socket, using filter #2, just letting the phone ring, phone ringing for ~30/40 seconds

Results
1) Initially I had no caller ID this is the same as the last few calls we've received though it's a bit hard to track as our phone doesn't log calls if there is no caller display (rather bloody unhelpful!). Broadband also disconnected.
(N.B. I should note that caller display has worked as recently as yesterday afternoon and I've not been fiddling with anything to make it not work. See also thread here https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Home-Phone/Intermittent-crackling-and-no-caller-display/m-p/2284... )

2) & 3) Plugging into the test socket, I now have caller display (possibly coincidental). Broadband disconnects still. Tested several times, results the same. Upon picking up the phone there seems to be a large amount of inbound static noise that disappears quickly. This is only heard on the house phone. Swapping filter made no difference.

4) Not letting the phone ring for as long, so literally the 2-4 seconds for caller ID to come up and instantly picking up, broadband stays connected. Initial static noise is still there.

5) Letting the phone ring, broadband disconnects (possibly less static noise?)

Other things

Static noise may, and I stress may, be reduced after the router disconnects. Hard to tell to be honest.

There appeared to be no noise on the mobile end, but hard to tell due to not having great signal and what seems like the way mobile calls seem to only transmit after a voice activation threshold has been met. Definitely not the same level of static that the house phone has, unless it's not being transmitted by Three.

When we were disconnected yesterday after receiving a phone call, before Teamspeak stopped receiving info from the server it had an increase in downstream packet loss to 0.4%, upstream packet loss was 0%. This could be something or nothing, we were having downstream packet loss later that night of roughly the same amount but in my opinion that was probably another issue. I'm pretty good at detecting very small amounts of packet loss or latency issues on Teamspeak, which is how I picked up on it later that night, but didn't pick up on anything just prior to the internet disconnecting. Mentioned because it was downstream packet loss only.

Final thoughts

Problems seem to occur when the phone rings. Due to the nature of caller display occuring when the phone rings, I assume this could also be the reason that it has randomly not worked.

Internet doesn't disconnect on quickly picked up inbound phone calls, I assume the router manages to recover the Broadband connection fast enough to no drop it.  

Sorry for the wall of text!

Cheers, 

Rob

Edit: WiFi hub still showing connection uptime as 9 days 23 hours, even though it's reconnected multiple times and dropped the sync speed slightly too.  I assume the firmware for the WiFi hub is a work in progress? :tongue:

Community Team

Hi Rob_B

Have you also tested with a different phone?

Thanks

Debbie

Rob_B
Conversation Starter
Heya,

Since the last wall of text, I've had another phone call from and the internet didn't disconnect. I then tried calling on my mobile and also no disconnections. Static on the line upon pick up both times (possibly reduced).

I plugged in our old corded phone, tested a couple of calls, and static still seems to be there. Also no disconnections. I also let the phone ring and had no disconnections.

Cheers,
Rob
Community Team

Hi Rob

Thanks for your reply.

Was the corded handset connected at the test socket with the router removed from the line?

Please can you also add an alternative contact number to your Community Profile, I can then raise this fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

Rob_B
Conversation Starter
Heya,

The corded handset was connected via the filter with the router still attached. I wanted to do more testing to try and hear the static while using the corded handset, however the phone line has been in use. I can add my mobile, but the signal in our house is mediocre at best.

Cheers,
Rob
Community Team

Hi Rob

Would it be possible to remove the router and test with just the phone and filter at the test socket? This will help us rule out if the router is causing the noise on the line.

Thanks

Debbie

Rob_B
Conversation Starter

Heya,

Yep I can do, but I've just swapped out the cordless for the corded phone and noticed there was no static upon picking up the phone. Swapped back to cordless and there's still no static. This is without removing the filter/router. The internet also didn't disconnect and caller display worked fine.
I could swap it out currently, but it's not going to show anything at the moment because it's currently, bizarely, static free. This seems like it's going to be a massive pain to pin down!

I suppose the only thing I can do is try and wait for a disconnection and then try and test around that time?

Could it be possible that the Open Reach engineer missed something that was "ballsed up" by the original engineer that swapped us to Fibre? Since the original issue was no internet but phoneline was fine after switching over, could they have failed to check the phone connection?  

Cheers,

Rob