cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slower speed than the WIfi Hub suggests I should have

Community Team

Hi

These type of issues can be difficult to identify if they are intermittent.  

Corrosion at some point on a line can cause intermittent resistance issues or earth faults in wet weather.

Let us know when you have retested and we can take this further.

Thanks

Karl. 

Rob_B
Conversation Starter

Hey,

So since the last time I posted, as far as I know, we've had no issues until yesterday bar some latency spikes, though that could be WiFi being WiFi.  Yesterday the WiFi Hub decided to not do anything, even failing to allow a login even though it loaded the login page.  This resulted in me resetting the router using the on/off switch at the back since I couldn't do it any other way. 

Started up fine, it then resynced back to 40Mbps for the 37/38 it had been on since we last tested.  The internet has disconnected at least twice, once around/after midnight, once today about 12:30.  The phone was in use today, but I don't think it disconnected upon receiving the call, so not sure if it was related, caller display worked fine.

After the call ended, I phoned the house on my mobile several times, caller display worked each time, and static appeared as it does right at the point of pick up before going.

I then unplugged the filter from the test socket and ran the phones on their own.  Static still occured upon pickup.

I then switched off our powerline adapters, and unplugged the router from the mains too. The static was gone, possibly a coincidence.  I turned on the powerline adapters, still no static, I then turned on the router, and still no static.  I then reconnected the filter with the phone and router back into the test socket returning everything back to how it was, and still no static. 

So, I'm kinda at a loss.  I did the whole unplugging the router/powerline adapter because I've seen some other powerline adapters cause havoc with the noise margin on our phoneline and cause noise on the phone itself even though they're no way connected to the phone line - no ethernet in them.  After googling when it happened, I realised that certain powerline adapters can do it, and I returned to our original bog standard ones that had been running for years and caused no issues - what we're currently using now. 

Can you guys track the disconnections? Because I can't with the WiFi hub, even now it's showing it's been connected since last night - presumably when I turned it off/on.  It's not showing the connection uptime since it disconnected. 

Cheers,

Rob.

Community Team

Hi Rob_B,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the connection looked very stable up until the last 48hrs. Could you bump your thread on Monday and we can re-check the connection stats again to see if we can see any further re-connections on the line?

Thanks

Rob_B
Conversation Starter
Hey Michelle,

Yep I can rebump on Monday. I assume that you can see the disconnections at your end then?

Cheers,
Rob
Community Team

Hi Rob,

I've re-checked the connection stats and I can see re-connections on the line since your last post. Is the static/noise still present? Is the router also still connected at the test socket at the moment?

Thanks

Rob_B
Conversation Starter
Heya,

Just did a test calling from my mobile, I couldn't hear any static or noise at the very beginning of the call like we normally get. The phone is still connected to the test socket.

Thanks,
Rob
Community Team

Hi Rob

Thanks for your reply.

If the noise is no longer present then we can focus on the dropping connection.

Have you tested with a different router, cable and filter? I can then raise this dropping connection fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

Rob_B
Conversation Starter
Heya,

I suspect the static will probably come back to be honest.

I've definitely changed filter, I'm not sure about the cable or router. I do have a HG635 to test with - is it alright to run the HG635 in modem mode and then use the WiFi hub to be the router? The WiFi hub has better wireless and the older cable leaves the HG635 under a bookcase. Assuming modem mode on the HG635 + WiFi hub as router is possible.

Cheers,
Rob
Community Team

Hi Rob,

Yes it should be fine to do that, please let us know how you get on

Chris

Rob_B
Conversation Starter

Hey @OCE_Chris,

Super hub is now connected as of this morning - not sure if I've done it correctly or not.

Super hub LAN1 to WiFi hub WAN port.
Firewall on Super Hub disabled.
WiFI on Super Hub disabled.
DHCP is still enabled on Super Hub -  i assume since everything is connecting to the WiFi Hub it wouldn't matter, plus not sure how the Super Hub would handle the WiFi hub if I turned it off
Super Hub is using 192.168.0.3
WiFi Hub is using 192.168.1.1
I can access the Super Hub through the WiFi hub fine.

Super Hub Reports -
Max downstream rate 44400
Downstream rate 39999 (we're on the 40Mbps fibre)
Noise 4.9dB
Max upstream rate 11250
Upstream rate 9999
Noise 7.5

Have I done the equivelent of covering a leaky pipe in duct tape and praying? :smileyface:

Cheers,
Rob

Edit: I also found a spare new and unused filter+cable combo in a box, so threw that on

Community Team

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the update and please let us know how both the stability and speed compares 🙂

Thanks

Rob_B
Conversation Starter

Heya,

Internet has been dropping connection still.  It's strange how it's perfectly fine most of the time (looking at stats to a teamspeak server) and then will randomly drop out.

Cheers,

Rob

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Rob,

I'm sorry to hear this. The line test is clear. Does it seem to be weather related? Has the noise/static returned?

Thanks

Rob_B
Conversation Starter

Heya,

Noise/static at the start of a phone call seems like it may have returned. I tried a couple of calls from a mobile and then got a call. I couldn't tell on the mobile, the other call seemed to have some for a split second upon picking up, but it's hard to tell - even when it was more noticeable it'd be gone before I had finished saying hello.  (Edit: This almost seems like how automatic voice gain works thinking about it....)

Not sure about whether it could be weather related, I've not been keeping tabs on it - as far as I'm aware it's disconnected everyday at least once, or near enough, since I've switched the router over, possibly since it resynced to 40Mbps too. 

Cheers,

Rob

Community Team

Hi Rob,

Thanks for confirming. Is the noise/static still present with only the phone connected to the test socket and with the router and all other devices removed from the line? Is the noise present with 2 different phones?

Once we've confirmed this then we'll raise the voice fault straight over to our Network Team for further investigation.

Thanks

Rob_B
Conversation Starter

Heya,

To be honest, the phone issue isn't really a problem, it only lasts about a second and then vanishes. Caller display is currently working fine, and the internet isn't dropping when we receive phonecalls. The only annoyance is the random internet drops.

Currently, everything is still connected to the test socket. I have tested different phones (corded+cordless) without anything plugged in previously, but it made no difference to the static.

Cheers,

Rob

Community Team

Hi Rob,

Ok, have you also tested the HG635 and the wifi hub separately at the test socket? Did you also use different cables? Once we've confirmed this then we can pass the intermittent connection over to our Network Team for further investigation.

Thanks

Rob_B
Conversation Starter

Heya,

Yep, I've tested

3 different filters,

2 cables,

HG635 & WiFi Hub,

In + out the test socket,

Corded and Cordless phones.

Cheers,

Rob

Community Team

Hi Rob,

I've raised this to our network team for further investigation, can you bump the thread tomorrow and we'll check for updates

Thanks
Chris

Rob_B
Conversation Starter
Heya,

Bumping as requested.

Cheers,
Rob