would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speed Boost

15 REPLIES 15
Greadman
Team Player

Hi,

I'm on Faster Fibre and my service is great! I get a constant 33Mb/s speed and my phone line is crystal clear. I use a WiFi router and experience next to no drop outs. I don't think I have any faults or line issues.

5 days ago I opted for the speed boost, expecting I'd get near to double my current speed. The TT agent advised it would be live in 24Hrs and on 'My Account' it shows as active.

My speed is exactly the same as it's always been, neither faster or slower. What is the likelyhood of having a fault that is causing this? Is it more likely that this service has just not been activated yet? I have tested with a TT engineer on chat, who initially said there was no problem with my service but then had to drop off as he had a 'resources' problem at his end.

Any ideas? Do TT get a notification when the local exchange engineer makes the configuration change?

Thanks

ferguson
Community Star

If your speed was around 33 meg than the speed Boost won't make any difference. It's like taking a scooter that is limited to 20mph on to a motorway, it can't go any faster I'm afraid.

Greadman
Team Player

Thanks. Who would benifit from the speed boost? Why does TT advertise it? It's like getting an anytime calls boost only to be then told "Ahh, if you were only getting weekend calls before, that's what you'll only ever be able to get".

Greadman
Team Player

...also my Scooter is the new WiFi Router and my motorway is fibre. Where is the restriction, the exchange? If so the offer should not be available for me to purchase.

ferguson
Community Star

Well, TalkTalk essentially offer two FTTC products, Faster Fibre and then the speed Boost. Faster Fibre is capped at 40 meg, but if your line is capable of handling more then you can have it removed by paying for the Boost which allows an absolute ceiling of 80 meg. But if your line is not capable of more than 40 meg in the first place then there is not much point.

I guess they expect you to know the capabilities of your line beforehand, but I agree it would be helpful if they mentioned this when ordering.

You can of course cancel the Boost after a minimum of 30 days, or if you feel it has been mis-sold you should contact customer services and discuss this with them. Alternatively, wait and see what the support team have to say here.

Greadman
Team Player

Thanks again, here's what it says on my account with relation to my package -

Your estimated broadband speed

Minimum guaranteed download speed:
58.7Mb

Download speed range:
65.4Mb - 78.1Mb

Upload speed range:
19.5Mb - 18.6Mb

I think I'll test their 'guarentee'. Let you know how I get on.

ferguson
Community Star

In which case there looks to be plenty in the tank, where are you getting your figure of 33 from? Can you post your router sync stats? 

Community Team

Hi Greadman,

If you'd like us to take a look at this can you complete your Community Profile and we'll be happy to help

Chris

Greadman
Team Player

Updated, thanks

Community Team

Hi Greadman,

Thanks for updating your profile 

I've run a line test, it passed and your sync speed is now 54.7Mbps, have you noticed a speed improvement at your end over the weekend?

Chris

Greadman
Team Player

Hi Chris, yes, indeed. The speed has crept up a little. I just use an online speed checker (Broadband Speed Checker) with the laptop cabled into a network port. Speed has gone from the ususl 33Mb/s up to 38Mb/s. I tried this several times. Upload is still around 14Mb/s.

I think I'm guarenteed about 58Mb/s download.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi Greadman,

Have you tried switching the router off for a full 30 minutes and then retested the speed? Does your master socket also have a test socket?

Thanks

Greadman
Team Player

Hi,

Not for 30 minutes, probably for about 30 seconds. Is there a technical reason for this length of time?

I'll try it tonight.

Yes, there is a test socket behind the LJU face plate. I can test  it in here also later.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi Greadman,

If the sync speed increases, however there is no increase in throughput speed then we usually advise switching the router off for a full 30 minutes as this resets the current session and often increases the throughput speed.

It would be worth testing the router at the test socket for at least 48hrs to see if DLM increases the sync speed any further.

Thanks

Greadman
Team Player

Hi Michelle & Chris

Thanks very much for the info, you've been infinately more help in a couple of posts than I've experienced in well over an hour with the support team on line. After the 30 minute power down (which no one previously suggested) speed is now up to around 54Mb/s. I may even get greater speeds if theres a further adjustment if my line is stable for a few days.

Kind regards

G

Community Team

Hi Greadman,

I'm glad to hear this and thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks