Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speed Cap

20 REPLIES 20
Birchcroft
Wise Owl

Can an OCE/TalkTalk employee please explain why my broadband speed is being capped at ~40mbps when my router shows it is capable of syncing at ~71mbps and my package details, as shown below, state that my speed is uncapped and as if I suspect this is in error please remove the cap.

Screenshot_2019-03-25 My Package - My Account - speed cap - TalkTalk.png

Divsec
Community Star

Hi faster fibre tops out at 40 mb to go higher you need to pay for the boost which gets you typically into the 60s

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
Birchcroft
Wise Owl

@Divsec thank you for your reply, which is along the lines I was expecting. However, nowhere in their Ts&Cs, publicity, contract etc do Talktalk state an upper limit, rather they mentioned expected and minimum guaranteed speeds. Also there is no option in my account to select a speed boost.  Which is why I specifically asked for a comment from talktalk rather than the general community.

Birchcroft
Wise Owl

@ferguson equally away from the community https😕/www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/broadband/fibre   it does not mention a maximum speed and neither does my contract.  So would you please do as requested and leave it for someone from talktalk to answer.

Thank you.

ferguson
Community Star

Sure, if you think TalkTalk are likely to tell you other than what is published on their website.

But for information, maximum speeds are generally eschewed in marketing literature now as Ofcom thought this was misleading too many people. The most that providers are allowed to quote now are averages. Every individual will however be provided with speed estimates which are personal to them. 

Birchcroft
Wise Owl

Which I have but I also have a commitment that my speed will not be capped.  Thus it should not be. So since you have no authority regarding talktalk contracts and no detailed knowledge of my contract please have the courtesy of leaving the matter to TalkTalk as requested.

Thank you.

ferguson
Community Star

Your speed is not being capped. It is the maximum available for your line on the package you subscribe to. 

Birchcroft
Wise Owl

@ferguson which part of leave it to TalkTalk don't you understand.  Now please desist from posting any more on this thread

ferguson
Community Star

It is an open community where members are encouraged to help each other, which is what I have been trying to do. I am not sure whether you are being wilful, frivolous, or genuinely ignorant as to the various products supplied by TalkTalk over the Openreach network, which have all been available for some time now and whose performance parameters are widely available across the internet, not just here. Your refusal to accept this information is down to you, not me. Good luck with learning anything new when TalkTalk respond.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologies for the intervention from another  non-TalkTalk employee, but this issue has been raised in the past.

The example you have shown from post number #1 bullit point number #1 does not state that you have unlimited download speed, it says you have unlimited downloads.

No one is restricting your downloads, you can download as much data as you wish, but your speed is being restricted to the product you have purchased.

2 cents over.

ferguson
Community Star

@Anonymous I think it's the "uncapped" bit we are feigning to misunderstand. 

Birchcroft
Wise Owl

@AnonymousNo problem.  My point does not relate to the bullet point. It relates to the lline above which states:

• Unlimited, Uncapped Speeds

Which given my contract states a minimum speed and expected speed range, but nowhere does it state a maximum speed, it is my opion that my speed should not be limited to ~40mbps. Whilst this may or may not be what talktalk intended their wording is clear and unambiguous. That is, the speed should be Unlimited and Uncapped. This is particularly the case since there is no option within my account to select a higher speed.

@fergusonI am not feigning to misunderstand anything and I do not believe myself to be ignorant.  I am picking up on the wording of the agreement I have with talktalk and pointing out what it means and requesting they honour it.  It may or may not be what they intended but it is what I believe they have contracted to by using the words they have and not stating a maximum speed.

@ferguson  I agree the forum is open and I welcome genuinely helpful contributions from members.  However in this instance I requested a response from TalkTalk, rather than the general community, as I feel that there is not much if anything useful non-talktalk community members can contribute, as you have shown.  So finally I would request that you follow your own advice as posted on another thread:

"OK, so would you mind leaving this member's topic for an official reply as requested please?"

ferguson
Community Star

My last word: your speed is not capped, it is limited to the level in the package which you pay for: Faster Fibre 38Mbps; Faster Fibre with Speed Boost 76 Mbps.

Community Team

Hi Birchcroft

As ferguson has advised the line speed is based upon the package you have chosen, You are on the 40/10 package, so in that sense you are not capped as you are reaching the maximum possible for the package you pay for, to increase you speeds  you need to add the fibre speed boost (£5) to increase the speed to 80/20. 

Regards

Birchcroft
Wise Owl

@OCE_Arne  As mentioned previously nowhere does talktalk state a maximum speen for its Faster Fibre Package and it is not possible for me to subscribe a faster fibre boost as this option does not exist within my account, which is hardly suprising as the details state it is "Unlimited, uncapped speeds".

Community Team

Hi @Birchcroft

We have never given a maximum speed, the profile is 80 down/20 up, but that doesn't mean you can get 80mbps download speeds, as it based upon your Line quality, distance from the exchange etc so it may not be possible to receive maximum speeds. 

Fibre speed boost needs to be requested via customer services it is not available in My Account. 

Birchcroft
Wise Owl

Hi @OCE_Arne , the fact that talktalk has not specified a maximum speed is exactly my point.  It has however specified my speed is unlimited and therefore l should be able to sync at the highest rate possible based in line quality distance from the exchange etc.   It is a bit like talktalk increasing  the price of TV, boosts etc on what many customers thought were fixed price contracts because the small print says the price fix only applies to the broadband element of the package.

Community Team

Hi Birchcroft,

As previously stated, to get speed above 40Mbps you need to add the speed boost if it's available

Chris

ajaxupgrades
Conversation Starter

I am siding with @Birchcroft here regarding the wording as I can see what his point is. The Unlimited part could be construed as being data or speed. I know it's data as I spoke to chat about the speed cap already. I got told many times that the unlimited is for data - even though it was the uncapped speeds I was querying.

My package allows 'Unlimited' data download and 'uncapped speeds' yet the speed is capped at 40mbps. I know the line is capable of 80mbps. Purchasing a boost will release the cap. The lines potential is being capped to allow the purchase of a boost! For an extra £60 a year, on top of the £300 already being paid, I would have  "Unlimited, uncapped speeds"

No mention of the package being 40/10 max.

AjA

IMG_20190928_094919.jpg

Start with the obvious, easy fixes. Save yourself embarrassment when you find out it's the microfilter that's knackered!