Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speed Drop

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

Over the last couple of years my download speed has typically been 65-71 mbps.

However, for the last 5 days it has dropped to typically 45-50 mbps and on occasions around 21mbps.

I have rebooted the router with a 45minute wait before power-up and tested with an ethernet cable and from the BT test socket via a plug-in filter with no improvement.

The tests have been carried out on 2 different laptops and a tablet all with the same results.

Can you help me get my speed back?

Many thanks.

Highlighted
Philosopher

@moth48  welcome and yes i am sure the team on here can help

do please complete ur profile on here

do u have any phone issues like noise on the line when in use

can u do speed test on talktalk my account site every day or so so the team on here can see it their end.

are the test being done via the master socket and how long has the router been plugged in there for and on a either net cable to the device not wireless

A bite of info of Forum:
The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:- Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

please do not post any personal info on here as full public 

Hope that help Regards Joe
If so then give me a Kudos ( Click the Thumb up Button)
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi moth48

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 52.1mb.

Some interference has been detected. Is the router located near to any devices that could cause any interference?

Is the router still connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

As requested, I have added some information to my profile.

I can also confirm that there does not appear to be any issues with the phone.

I have carried out several speed tests none of which show any improvement, in fact, the tests carried out today (21st) show further deterioration typically being 37mbps download!

The tests today were carried out using a laptop connected via a net cable to the router and the router plugged into the BT master socket over several hours. The tests were done using the "talktalk my account" speed test although nearly all of the tests may not have been recorded as the upload part of the test continually stalled with the message "could not connect to server".

Tests carried out on another laptop and another speed test app using WiFi showed similar disappointing results.

This is very frustrating as:

a) my connection has been so good at 65-71 previously and

b) nothing in my home, including the location or wiring of the router has changed nor has any new equipment been introduced.

Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

Highlighted

Hi moth48,

Thanks for the additional information. Could I just confirm, does your master socket have a test socket?

Your guide to master sockets

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi, thanks for your prompt reply.

My Openreach master socket is a type FTTC.

I have unscrewed the faceplate and connected the router to the test socket with a plug-in microfilter but having done so the router will not connect to the internet, it just shows a continual flashing orange light despite being left on for over 20 minutes. I have tried a different filter and broadband cable but get the same result.

There is a cable from the inside of the main socket connecting another Openreach socket in an adjacent room. Both of these sockets and their wiring were installed by Openreach at the time I moved to fibre broadband. Both of these sockets work perfectly except that the download speed is deteriorating very significantly.

I am concerned that just over a week ago my download speed was 65-71mbps. After a few days it dropped to 45-50mbps (your test showed 52) and now I'm getting downloads in the upper 30's even though there has been no changes or disturbance in my home.

This morning a test using the "talktalk my account" speedtest showed a download of 37.9mbps, the upload timed out and stalled with the message "could not connect to servers".

I'm now also occasionally getting a message "could not connect to internet".

Can you please arrange to get this fault rectified as soon as possible.

Many thanks.

Highlighted

Hi moth48,

Your current sync speed is well within the predicted range for your line. Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

There is a slight hiss on the telephone line but no crackling etc.

I am amazed that a decrease in download speed from a continuous stable 65-71mbps to 37.9, a drop of almost 50% in just over a week, is considered "well within the predicted range"

I do pay for superfast fibre and expect to receive that service.

The line has clearly been capable of the speed I have been receiving for many, many months and I find your comment unhelpful and unsatisfactory.

You have not explained why the internet has now started dropping out, also why the router will not connect to the internet when connected to the BT test socket, why the talktalk speedtest stalls on the upload element of the test and you've certainly not explained why my download speed has dropped so massively in just a few short days.

You did mention there was interference on your first line test and this and the above indicators suggest to me that there is a fault on the line.

I would appreciate some proactive help as your remote line tests are obviously not picking up the fault.

Highlighted

Hi moth48,

Was there a dial tone at the test socket? As the line tests have not detected a fault, would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

I have connected the phone to the BT test socket and whilst there is some very slight background noise, the dial tone appears to be strong.

I am more than happy to try a new router if it helps resolve this problem.

Incidentally, a speedtest this morning using the talktalk speedtest resulted in a download speed of 37.9mbps, the upload part of the test stalled and failed yet again.

Many thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

Since my previous post of this morning, I have further information which may help.

I have just received a phone call on my land line from a friend who was forced to end the call because of very loud and continuous crackling which made it impossible for him to hear anything I was saying despite me being able to hear him perfectly clearly.

Highlighted

Hi moth48

Ive ordered a router. 

Should be with you in a few days. 

Let us know how it goes.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi, thanks for the replacement router.

It has now been installed and connected via a micro filter to the BT test socket for over 30hours.

Speedtests carried out on the new router on 28th and 29th have been made using the "talktalk my account" speedtest with the computer connected via an ethernet cable.

Unfortunately, the results are very disappointing with download speeds still only in the upper 40's rather than the upper 60's which were the norm until just over two weeks ago.

I would like some explanation as to why this massive drop has occurred.

It is clear that the drop has nothing to do with the internal wiring or equipment and it seems to me that the next step should be to send an engineer to look for issues on the external supply.

I certainly don't consider it acceptable that I be expected to accept such a reduction in service.

Many thanks.

Highlighted

Hi

All tests are clear and the current line profile is set correctly.

The router is showing in sync at 51.2mb.  The predicted speed range for your line is 40-58mb.

Can you run a couple of wired speed tests through our speed checker in My Account so these can be logged here and we can see the actual throughput speeds received.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

Yet again your assertion that the predicted range for my line is 40 - 58mbps is not helpful. I could suggest that the predicted speed is what it is because there is a fault on the supply line.

I have been carrying out speedtests on the talktalk my account speedchecker throughout this issue although most of those last week would probably not be recorded as the upload element of the test timed out and stalled as detailed in previous posts.The download speeds at that time were in the upper 30's!

You have still not explained why there was a drop of almost 20mbps over a couple of days in mid-January and the resulting speed has dropped or remained ever since.

The line was clearly capable of speeds of up to and in excess of 70mbps until this issue and you seem very reluctant to explain why that is or indeed to send an engineer to check the line at the cabinet or exchange.

It is the case that there have been historical problems in this area with water in the Openreach/BT inspection chambers in the street which only became obvious when engineers checked them.

I would appreciate some positive and proactive help in this matter.

The it is what it is attitude is not beneficial and significantly reduces the value for money of your super fibre product.

Highlighted

Hi moth48,

A fault on the supply line wouldn't cause the predicted speed range to drop.

There aren't any speed test results showing, could you try a couple more speed tests please on the My Account speed checker.

Sorry, I don't know why the speed has dropped, line test is passing and not picking up any issues,

We can't really arrange an engineer visit for the drop in speed as the speed is well within the predicted range and above the guaranteed minimum so BT Openreach wouldn't see this as a fault even if the speed has been higher in the past

Have you experienced any further issues with your telephone service?

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

I don't understand why there aren't any speed test results showing as I have carried out in excess of 20 using the "talktalk my account" checker, both before and after the installation of the new router, up to and including today. That should perhaps be investigated otherwise it's a pointless exercise.

I also accept that you don't know why the speed has dropped but surely, a drop of such magnitude is also worth investigating. Is it the case that Openreach or Talktalk are capping the speed?

I remain bitterly disappointed with the lack of effort to resolve this issue. What other company or service provider would accept such a reduction in service or supply with such indifference and expect their customers to put up with it!

Highlighted

Hi moth48,

The problem is that we can only investigate further by arranging an engineer visit but as I said previously, this wouldn't be seen as a fault (which I would think would be the same with any provider providing service over a BT line).

The line isn't being capped, you're on a line profile that will allow your router to sync at up to 80Mbps 

I know it must be disappointing if your speed has dropped, I can only suggest that if you'd like to take it further to follow our Complaint Process

Chris