Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speed Test varriation mystery.

ANSWERED
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hello, I recently moved to Fibre with a minimum speed of 35Mg Down.

My main browser is Firefox and accessing My Account and running the integral speed test results in approx speed of 22Mg.

Using Edge browser and accessing My Account and speed test results in approx speed of 37Mg.

Running the Stand Alone Ooka speed test app and the Ofcom checker both give the 37Mg results.

Within My Account the Service Centre states all well with a output to my Router of approx 40Mg.

Personally I feel that I am receiving the faster speed and I'm satisfied with that, however why should accessing My Account by two browsers and using the integral speed test produce the differing results?

Thanks in anticipation of informative answers.

Norman.

Norman.
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Nknapp01,

Line test is passing and sync speed is 40Mbps. I don't know why the speed is so much lower in Firefox, do you have more than one tab open when you run the speed test? Are you running the speed tests on the same device?

I assume when you run the speed tests on the Stand Alone Ooka speed test app and the Ofcom checker they are on the same device in Firefox?

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hello Chris, There is only 1PC involved. Using Firefox to contact TalkTalk Speed Test is from a Bookmarked url. This is the one (and only one) that results in the low speed of approx 22Mg.

Using Edge with the Bookmarked url imported from Firefox results in the higher and expected speed of approx 35Mg.

Using Ofcom from either FF or Edge produces the higher speed.

Using the stand alone Ooka App produces the higher speed.

There are no other tabs open and no other devices attached to the PC.

It is only using FF exclusively and direct to TT speed test that produces the lower speed.

I have allowed My Location to be used for all Tests.

Viewing the Router details within My Acc shows 40Mg being delivered and my connection checks out as fully satisfactory.

I also observe that the TT speed test states it uses Ooka. So FF seems to be the one applying the brakes.

Thank you,

Norman.

PS. I've just used the stand alone Ooka within the last few seconds and the result: 37.89 Down and 8.9 Up.

Norman.
Highlighted

Hi Norman

Is this affecting the performance of the connection?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie, No, I don't believe so. I appear to be receiving the contracted speeds however I am curious why TalkTalk's own speed test when accessed by Firefox indicates an average speed well below contracted speed. As stated previously; all tests done without using Firefox give the required speed.

Thank you,

Norman. 

Norman.
Highlighted

Hi Norman

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure why firefox is giving a different result. Has this browser got the latest updates?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie, Yes - 76.0.1 (64 bit) No matter whose speed-test I try (other than the integral one within My TT Acc) gives the expected minimum or slightly above 35Mg. It is only when using what I would expect to be the most accurate ( TT's own via Firefox) that I consistently get approx 12Mg less. As stated previously; using TT's own via Edge produces the expected 35Mg.

A combination of Firefox and TT's Acc is the only odd one out.

I am satisfied with what I receive and you may think what's the problem? I'd just like to discover why that FF/TT combination doesn't comply with all others.

Thank you,

Norman.

Norman.
Highlighted
Solution

Hi Norman,

I can understand your curiosity but I don't know why our speed test is giving you such a random speed in Firefox, don't really know how we can find out either unfortunately.

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Thanks for the try Chris, I'll just have to put it down to one of computing idiosyncrasies.

Regards.

Norman.

Norman.
Highlighted