Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speed Up and Down

6 REPLIES 6
winchesterox
Chatterbox

Hi Community

My first post.

About 3 days ago I noticed that the speed was woeful (even dropping to 0.0mbps) and I contacted Technical Help through the chat function - using cell data. Technical Help remotely ran diagnostics on the router and updated the software. They also advised that NGA and TAM would be run and that I should respond if I continued to have problems.

Well I immediately got an improvement and speeds went up to around 20 mbps (the best I am able to get on Superfast Fibre), but last night it started to drop out a bit (websites freezing etc.) and I wondered whether the old problem was back. I have started running a continual speed test and the average appears to be around 10 mbps dropping down to around 500kbps sometimes. 

Is it normal for speeds to be so up and down?

Thanks

Andy

Andy S
Skynet_TX
Community Star

Hi @winchesterox,

Speeds should not vary that much, it can be normal for speeds to dip a little at peak times, but you should not see variation that extreme.

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to do a test on your phone line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault on your line. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could also try the router in there, that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem.

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

The staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.

OCE_Chris
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Andy,

if you still need assistance can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Chris

winchesterox
Chatterbox
Hi Chris
Done
Andy
Andy S
OCE_Michelle

Hi Andy,

Thank you. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Can I just confirm, when you speeds are dropping very low are you connected wired or wireless? Does this only seem to happen of an evening or at any time of the day? Do you have any devices connected wired to see how the speeds compare?

Thanks

winchesterox
Chatterbox
Hi Michelle,
When speeds drop really low I am on wireless. I've not yet tried going wired.
I have noticed that around 9 pm can be a point of low speed, although continuous speed test indicates a really low drop at 1330 and 1500 today.
Does this help?
Andy
Andy S
OCE_Michelle

Hi Andy,

Thanks for confirming. Would it be possible to test wired just so we can confirm if this is related to the wireless? We can then offer some additional advice for the wireless speeds.

Thanks