would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speed better without master socket?

9 REPLIES 9
lauraabeth
Chatterbox

Hello,

I’m in the process of leaving talk talk as I was supposed to be getting speeds of 39mbs and was getting between 10-20mbs which kept dropping then going up every speed test.

However I decided to try plugging my router into a normal telephone socket (which I know is supposed to cause a drop in speeds with fibre) and I am actually getting  huge improvement in my speeds. The past speed checks I have done I’ve got 30-37mbs every time. 

Does anyone have any ideas why this is? 

Thanks in advance, Laura

Community Team

Hi

When you say a normal telephone socket, do you mean a completely different socket with your home, or have you removed or changed the filter in your phone socket etc ?

Thanks

Karl. 

lauraabeth
Chatterbox

Hi,

thank you for getting back to me. I have just plugged it into a separate socket, one without two plates on. What a telephone would plug into. Sorry if that doesn’t make sense. 

Thanks, Laura 😊

Community Team

Hi Laura,

Ok thanks for the update. Is the speed still ok at the moment?

Thanks

lauraabeth
Chatterbox

Hello,

I checked it this morning and its still ok, got a speed of 36.5mbs. 

Thanks, Laura 😊

Community Team

Hi Laura,

Thanks for letting me know.

Thanks

lauraabeth
Chatterbox

Hello 😊 Any update on why the master socket would be causing the speed issues. I would be happy to stay with talk talk if this is something that can be fixed. 

Thanks, Laura

Community Team

Hi

If the master socket is the true master socket - ie. the point where the phone line enters the home, then this should have a test socket within.  The Fibre socket has a filter fitted and it is possible the filter could have become faulty. 

If you look at the master socket does it look like the picture below : 

You can usually remove the face plate and filter and connect a router with a filter directly into the test socket inside.

Karl,

lauraabeth
Chatterbox

0C4E1BD6-7415-4E7C-94EE-25BE27BBBA8E.png

Hello, this is what I’ve got that is causing the problems. I removed the faceplate and plugged it into the test socket and the speed still keeps dropping. So do you think the socket needs replacing?

Thanks Laura 😊

Community Team

Hi Laura

That socket is the usual NTE5 BT Master socket.

Just want to check something with you.  If you have a home phone available, and you take the front off this socket, do the other sockets go dead - eg.  No dial tone at them.

Thanks

Karl.