would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speed better without master socket?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hello,

I’m in the process of leaving talk talk as I was supposed to be getting speeds of 39mbs and was getting between 10-20mbs which kept dropping then going up every speed test.

However I decided to try plugging my router into a normal telephone socket (which I know is supposed to cause a drop in speeds with fibre) and I am actually getting  huge improvement in my speeds. The past speed checks I have done I’ve got 30-37mbs every time. 

Does anyone have any ideas why this is? 

Thanks in advance, Laura

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

When you say a normal telephone socket, do you mean a completely different socket with your home, or have you removed or changed the filter in your phone socket etc ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi,

thank you for getting back to me. I have just plugged it into a separate socket, one without two plates on. What a telephone would plug into. Sorry if that doesn’t make sense. 

Thanks, Laura 😊

Highlighted

Hi Laura,

Ok thanks for the update. Is the speed still ok at the moment?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hello,

I checked it this morning and its still ok, got a speed of 36.5mbs. 

Thanks, Laura 😊

Highlighted

Hi Laura,

Thanks for letting me know.

Thanks

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hello 😊 Any update on why the master socket would be causing the speed issues. I would be happy to stay with talk talk if this is something that can be fixed. 

Thanks, Laura

Highlighted

Hi

If the master socket is the true master socket - ie. the point where the phone line enters the home, then this should have a test socket within.  The Fibre socket has a filter fitted and it is possible the filter could have become faulty. 

If you look at the master socket does it look like the picture below : 

You can usually remove the face plate and filter and connect a router with a filter directly into the test socket inside.

Karl,

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

0C4E1BD6-7415-4E7C-94EE-25BE27BBBA8E.png

Hello, this is what I’ve got that is causing the problems. I removed the faceplate and plugged it into the test socket and the speed still keeps dropping. So do you think the socket needs replacing?

Thanks Laura 😊

Highlighted

Hi Laura

That socket is the usual NTE5 BT Master socket.

Just want to check something with you.  If you have a home phone available, and you take the front off this socket, do the other sockets go dead - eg.  No dial tone at them.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips