Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speed boost below minimum speed

21 REPLIES 21
Daniel1900
Popular Poster

Hello. I signed up for the Fibre Speed Boost recently which is on my account now, and was told in a TalkTalk email at the time that I would receive a minimum guaranteed download speed of 59.8Mb with an estimated speed between 65.5MB and 80Mb. But on a laptop connected to a TalkTalk Super Router (HG633) by ethernet cable the highest speed I have received is around 53Mbps.

This affects both Wi-fi and ethernet connections and is the same on the older TalkTalk Fibre Plus router I tried as well. I tried turning both routers off for 30 minutes and on again after reading a help page but it didn't make a difference. The upload speed is also a bit lower than the estimated 19Mb to 20Mb from the same email.

ferguson
Community Star

The guarantee refers to sync speed at your router rather than throughput, which is invariably lower. Can you post your router connection stats so we can see what's what?

Daniel1900
Popular Poster

DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
WAN IP Address:
Primary DNS Server:
Secondary DNS Server:

Line Quality

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
Interleaved
DSL up-time:
0 days 0 hours 39 minutes 28 seconds
ferguson
Community Star

OK, that's a bit below the mark. Do you have the router connected at your master socket? Are there any telephone extensions in your home? Have you tried connecting at the test socket if there is one? Are there any noticeable issues with the phone service? Sorry for all the questions, but this will help to rule things out. 

Daniel1900
Popular Poster
Yes it is connected to a master socket and there aren't any telephone extensions. I'm not an advanced user so I wouldn't be able to access or connect to the test socket. I rarely use the phone service but when I do there have been no issues.
ferguson
Community Star

OK, I have flagged this up to the online support team to check from their end, give them a day or so to respond. If you haven't done so already make sure that your personal details including TalkTalk landline number are complete on your community profile here so that they can link your forum identity with your account.

Daniel1900
Popular Poster
Okay thank you.
ferguson
Community Star

No problem. By the way don't be too worried about the prospect of using the test socket, it's not that complicated, have a look at the this help article.

Community Team

Hi Daniel1900 

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 54.7mb.

There are re connections showing on the line which can affect the sync speed. Are you rebooting the router?

Please can you connect the router at the test socket and leave it there for 48hrs without rebooting to see if DLM increases the sync speed in this set up?

Thanks

Debbie

Daniel1900
Popular Poster
Hi. I have since contacted TalkTalk via live chat and they have arranged an engineer visit. Thanks anyway.
Community Team

Hi Daniel1900

Thanks for keeping us updated. Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Debbie

Daniel1900
Popular Poster
Hello again. The Openreach engineers have visited and the issue seems to be resolved, my house had two master sockets and both had corrosion on the inside. This has been sorted now and the speeds improved past 60Mbps when this was done, I'm just waiting on the 10 day stabilization period now.
Community Team

Hi Daniel1900

I'm glad to hear that the engineers have located and fixed this fault.

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Thanks

Debbie

Daniel1900
Popular Poster

Hello. Not long after my previous post my download speed dropped below 60Mbps again and has stayed under ever since. I did a speed test on the TalkTalk website, with a laptop connected to the router by ethernet cable and couldn't get past 52.5Mbps. The TalkTalk service status page says my estimated download speed when I signed up to TalkTalk is 66Mb - 80Mb and Recent Speed 56Mb.

The TalkTalk engineer and the Openreach engineers already checked everything in my house, and found no other issues apart from the corrosion in the master sockets which they fixed at the time. Is there anything more that can be done? In other rooms of my house where the broadband is mainly used through a Powerline adaptor the speeds are even lower, usually in the 40Mbps - 50Mbps range.

ferguson
Community Star

OK, what is it exactly you are looking for here? You mentioned earlier that you have two master sockets, that is not possible unless you have two separate lines with two separate phone numbers, could you explain in a little more detail about your internal setup?

Daniel1900
Popular Poster
There is one master socket in my living room which is in use, the Openreach engineers put a blank faceplate on the other one (also in the living room) since they said only one is required.
ferguson
Community Star

OK, and there are no other extension sockets in use in your home? Is all well with the voice service, no noise on the line or anything like that?

Subject to that I have flagged this up to the OCE again for you, bear in mind they are not back online until Monday.

Daniel1900
Popular Poster
There is a socket in one of the bedrooms with one port on the faceplate with two screws on the front. This has never been used so I don't know if it's relevant or not. I haven't had any issues with the landline phone at all.
ferguson
Community Star

OK, let's see what the OCE make of it when they check from their end.

Community Team

Hi Daniel,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Would it be possible to connect the router directly at the test socket for at least 48hrs to see if their is any improvement in sync speed?

Thanks