cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speed boost not reaching expected upload speed.

40 REPLIES 40
Chat Champion

I renewed my contract on 27 January and was given a speed boost to superfast fibre. There was no increase in speed for the first couple of days so I had an online chat with an advisor who told me the issue would be investigated. A few hours later I received an email to say the issue had been resolved. I carried ou a speed test which showed upload speed had nearly doubled,but download remained about the same as I had been getting previously, about 30 mb over wifi. This morning I checked my service status Line Speed which showed. Estimated 49 - 80 mb. Actual 38 mb. Could this be investigated please?

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

I'm showing the router is in sync at 65.5mb

Can you run a wired speed test with no other devices connected and see what a wired speed test achieves.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Chat Champion

Sorry Karl, can't do that as using a tablet over wifi. Desktop computer is too far away from socket and also using wifi. I will do a test over wifi with tablet close to router and come back to you with results. I was just curious as to why service line speed was only 39 mbs.

Hi

Wifi speeds will always be a little lower, also, wifi is only as fast as the slowest device.  So if you have a device connected only capable of 'g' standard speeds this will force the overall wifi to run at that speed.  Make sure any older wifi devices are turned off, any phones / laptops etc and use a single device that is capable of 'n' standard wifi to test.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Chat Champion

Hi Karl. Appreciate the technical considerations. Everything off except tablet :-

Speed test #1  28.9 down18.6 up

#2.  35.5.         18.6

#3.  28.6.         18.6

#4.  28.3.         18.6

Regards.

Hi

Can you seperate the WiFi SSID's and try connecting to the 5Ghz and 2Ghz separately and see if one is running better than the other ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Chat Champion

Hi Karl. You have lost me there. Have not the sligthest inkling of what you are asking me to do!

Regards.

Hi,

Log into the router (192.168.1.1) and manually change the SSID (Wi Fi) name of the 5ghz channel.

I often find it is better to keep the 2 broadcast channels separate.  For example, I have changed mine, and call one Home2Ghz and the other Home5Ghz.  

Some devices can drop the connection when the SSID's remain the same.

Also, you can try manually setting the wifi channel  for each broadcast channel. Try channel 6 for the 2ghz channel and 44 for the 5ghz channel.

There are apps you can download that can show the wireless channels in use.  For example I use WiFi analyser for Android to show the wifi channels in use around me and this allows me to set the least congested channel.

Give this a try and see if the connection improves.

Thanks

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

Chat Champion

I replied to your email but have not had a response from you. Obviously not the way to do it.

Tried your suggestion but was asked for a user name and password for the router. I have never set a user name or password for the router. What user name and password do I enter to get into the router?

Regards.

Whizz Kid
The username and password will be written on the back of the router sticker
Chat Champion

Got it! Thanks for your assistance.

Hi dave10,

Please let us know if you need any further help

Thanks

Chris

Chat Champion

Not been into the router yet because a Service Centre check shows:-

Stability - Our health check shows that your internet has been disconecting.

Your line speed - Estimated line speed 49-80. Actual 41.

Run live connection test - wer'e working on your fault.

The internet has not been disconnected at this end.

If actual line speed is below estimated could it be that the line isn't capable of higher speed?

I wasn't aware that there was a reported fault. A previous fault earlier this week was rectified by an Open Reach engineer.

Speed test over wifi 39.9 down 18.7 up.

Regards.

Hi dave10,

Thanks for the update. That's strange as the line tests are all clear, the sync speed looks consistent and the connection looks very stable. What speeds do you receive if you run the speed test wired?

Thanks

Chat Champion

Hi Michelle.

As explained in an earlier message I can't do a wired check. I realise that wireless speeds will be a bit slower, but Service Status checks are showing actual speeds slower than estimated speeds with speed boost. Anyway, thanks for your assistance.

Hi Dave,

Your current sync speed is 65.4Mbps so not sure why the service status is showing that.

Have you tried switching your router off for 30 minutes, this forces the start of a new session and can sometimes improve throughput speeds?

Chris

Chat Champion

Hi  Chris. 

The broadband info on my tablet is showing:-

Security.      WPA/WPA2 PSK.

Signal strength.    Excellent

Link speed.     65Mbps

Frequency.    2.4 ghz

Actual speed test on wireless.   39.2.   18.7

Service status showing.   Speed. 47  at midnight.

I have done the 30 min off/ on already.

The speed boost has doubled the upload speed but has not shown the same improvement in download speed. Anyway, It is a free boost so nothing lost.

Regards

Hi dave10,

Do you have another device that you could run another speed test on?

Thanks

Chat Champion

My PC is too far away from the router to carry out any meaningful test. Have done a test using another tablet  with similar results.

Regards.

Hi

If you log into the router and disble the 2.4Ghz wifi so the tablet is only connected to 5Ghz, what speeds do you get.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips