Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speed boost seems to have been removed despite it being on my account still

35 REPLIES 35
markcoley
Conversation Starter

Would it be possible for someone to look at my account? I have been on chat for 30 mins and have just gone around in circles with the operator asking me to check I've plugged the correct cable into the router etc (even though I was using TalkTalk broadband to do the chat).

Today my sync speeds have suddenly dropped to those I was capped at before I got the fibre-to-the-cabinet speed boost a few weeks ago. I'm currently getting 9997/40047 which is the same after 3 reboots of the router. I used to get this for 18 months before I got the speed boost a few weeks ago. When the boost started I'd sync at around 1400/57000ish, sometimes up to 63000 for the download. On my account the connection speeds for the past week have all been consistent and above the minimum guaranteed level.

It's as if the cap has been applied again (by mistake). Nothing has changed in my home. The landline is noise free too.

Thanks,

Mark.

Skynet_TX
Community Star

Hi @markcoley,

Have you tried switching off the router for over 30 minutes to then force a new session in the street cabinet when you switch it back on. It is probably unlikely to help if your current sync speed is showing as 40mbps, but can't hurt to try !

markcoley
Conversation Starter
I'll try that. 5 mins being off makes no difference and it syncs at the exact same speed 9997/40047 as it did before I got the boost. Who is responsible for this cap? Is it a software cap or a switch at the cabinet that an engineer has knocked?
Skynet_TX
Community Star

I believe the 40mbps cap that applies to Fibre 35 is just a software setting at TalkTalk, it doesn't need an engineer to do anything to activate/deactivate. It may be that at the TalkTalk end you are 'uncapped', but it is possible the DLM equipment in the street cabinet has put you on a profile that is limited to 40mbps for some strange reason. Would be worth trying the 30+ minute switch off just to force a new street cabinet session.

The staff here will be able to check your connection settings to see if you are capped or stuck on a profile that is limiting you to 40mbps, but it may take them a few working days to reply, as it is pretty busy on the community at the moment.

markcoley
Conversation Starter

Router has been off for 3 hours or so and I've just turned it back on and it has synced at exactly the same (?capped) rate as every other time I've rebooted it today: 9997/40047 Kbps.

My billing e-mail was sent yesterday so I'm wondering if some automated process has got confused and flipped my account to something else (only a guess). If I log in to look at my account it still says I have the speed boost.

If anyone can fix this can they also try resetting the dynamic line management whilst they are there?

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star

@markcoley, don't switch the router off at all now, until you get a response from staff. This might not be before Monday. 

The switch off shouldn't be repeated too many times  - not more than once in a day, so just leave it alone now.

This will give DLM time to regulate your speeds. It will start to misread the switch offs unless you leave it alone. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
markcoley
Conversation Starter

At around 2am my router appears to have reconnected at pretty much the normal speed of 14827/55323. I used to regularly get 57000ish and once got 63000. I hadn't touched anything at home. The speed tracker in my online account hasn't updated since Thursday either and is showing between 55MB and 60MB on the scale.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star

Staff will not be back before Monday now, @markcoley, and take a couple of days then to catch up with the weekend backlog. 

It's best not to post further before getting a response from them, to keep your thread moving forward in the automated workflow. 

They will reply from oldest to newest POSTS, rather than the start time of the thread.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
markcoley
Conversation Starter

Some more interesting observations. Yesterday, as I posted earlier, my router reconnected in the early hours at pretty much its normal rate. I reconnected twice that day out of curiosity and it got faster each time, then I I left it when it was at 1400/55000ish. Then this morning in the early hours I see it reconnected once more at what it was before I got the speed boost (9997/40047 Kbps) which seems to be the upper limit when you don't have the boost enabled.

The speed tracker says this:

Estimated speed: unknown

Recent speed: unavailable

but the graph seems to think I had a 58MB connection on Thursday and Friday which seems ridiculous given the modem was only syncing at 40000kbps on those days.

I'll sit and wait and see what happens next. Modem is plugged into master socket (model 5C), no extensions.

markcoley
Conversation Starter

I ran a live connection test this evening and the system said there was a line fault and it would have to disconnect my line and reset my router. It then went a did a full factory reset remotely (I triggered the test via my phone before I came home from work). My wifi network reset itself to the default. On arrival home the sync speed was about 55000 but speed tests seemed to stick at 40Mbit/s and wouldn't go faster. I tried both wifi networks and the speed was the same. I turned router off for 5 mins then turned it on again and now I have 14999/55230 Kbps as my speed and 50Mbit/s downloads via wifi so it seems pretty much back to normal, though I did get 63000ish a week or two ago. Something unusual has been going on with speed caps and sync caps.

markcoley
Conversation Starter
As of 2am router sync has been reduced back to 9997/40047 Kbps. There is no middle ground, it's either this value or 55000ish.
OCE_Michelle
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Mark,

I'm really sorry for the delay and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see that sync speed is varying and the connection looks unstable. Jus to confirm, does your master socket have a test socket? Is the voice service ok with no noise on the line?

Thanks

markcoley
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

Today broadband seems better than it has been (though not where it was a couple of weeks ago) This morning it was back up to 53000ish as a sync speed (with 5.6dB SNR) Last night before bed it was 40047 again with a 10dB SNR but speed tests this morning wouldn't go higher than 40Mbit/s downloads despite the 53000 sync. I turned off router for 5 mins and when it came back on line I had the same sync speed (about 53000) and downloads now hit 50Mbit/s, so all seems well.

If I look online it can't show the recent speed graph - it says "We are unable to load speed to your router data. Please try again later.". It said this yesterday too. If I try to do a line check, it asks for my mobile number, then tries something, says there is a fault, then asks for my mobile repeatedly and doesn't do the check. It did the check last week and made my router do a factory reset all by itself (passwords were all reset etc).

Reading between the lines the I'm getting runs of 40000 syncs (with SNR around 9 or 10) OR 53000 syncs (with SNR 5.6-6). In the past I've had syncs of 63000 on a few occasions. I don't know what the SNR was then as I hadn't paid much attention to all the numbers.

I had 57000 syncs for weeks at a time with no line drops since getting the speed boost a couple of month back.

I did used to have a noisy line but it seems perfect now and seemed to improve about 2-3 weeks ago, just before these problems started.

Modem is plugged into the faceplate of the 5C master socket.

If I'm not being capped perhaps I should see what happens in the coming days? I had thought it odd that I either got 40000 or 530000+ and nowhere in the middle which made me think something had gone wrong with my account rather than it being a hardware issue.

OCE_Michelle

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the additional information. Would it be possible to connect the microfilter and router at the test socket behind the faceplate for 48hrs so we can re-check the connection stats again to see if the stability improves? If the connection is unstable then this will affect the broadband sync speed as DLM will keep adjusting the speed to try and improve the stability.

Thanks

markcoley
Conversation Starter

Yes, I can do this (later today as I need the broadband uninterrupted for the next couple of hours for work).

Many thanks. 

OCE_Michelle
markcoley
Conversation Starter

Router was plugged into test socket via a microfilter from Wednesday evening. Sync was at 53000ish for over 3 days until around 0140 very early on Sunday morning (6th Dec) but then a reconnection occurred with syncs dropping to 9997/40047 and it's been like that all day. I've removed the router from the microfilter that was hanging out of the test socket and plugged it back into the faceplate as I need use of the telephone now. The internal wiring can't be a cause of the issue as it was disconnected over the weekend as the faceplate was removed. The line has no noise that I can hear.

UPDATE

Just as I was about to post this my internet connection went down (at 0032) and has come back now at 15278 kbps / 53444 kbps. It used to be 57000 for weeks (so some way to go yet) and a week before the speed dropped it had jumped to 63000 for a few days I recall and it did seem stable on that speed.

markcoley
Conversation Starter

Despite higher sync now it seems downloads are capped at 39Mbit/s. Uploads are hitting 14Mbit/s on the TalkTalk download speed checker. I've just rebooted (sync now 15278 kbps / 53444 kbps) and it's no different, nothing faster than 39Mbit/s. I'll try turning it off for a few mins.

markcoley
Conversation Starter

After a five mins with power off the sync speed is now 15315 kbps / 53243 kbps and max download still 39Mbit/s. I'm leaving it off overnight and will turn it on in the morning.

markcoley
Conversation Starter

I've just turned router on. Sync is now 15226 kbps / 52718 kbps and downloads reaching 49Mbit/s.