Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speed drop down to 11.2

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor

Hi,

No problem. Will upload data/graph from logging system early next week.

Kind regards,

James

In the depths of Bedfordshire, working part time, playing golf, caring for my wife and organising the world around me! Liking the speed from fibre although I am sooooo far from the green box!.
OCE_Michelle
Community Team - TT Staff
JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor

Hi All,

The 2nd TT router is no better. The speed has dropped a bit more as the DSLAM thinks the line is unstable (I am guessing).

The image below shows a spike where I changed back to my router then to the new TT router.

Now hovering at between 13 and 16Mb.

Can we please look at what options to get a fix.

chart.png

Many thanks,

James

In the depths of Bedfordshire, working part time, playing golf, caring for my wife and organising the world around me! Liking the speed from fibre although I am sooooo far from the green box!.
OCE_Michelle

Hi JamesHappy,

Thanks for the update and I'm sorry to hear that the speed hasn't increased. I've re-run the line tests which are all clear. As you've tested with 2 different routers at the test socket then the next step would be to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further. If you would like to go ahead with this then please let us know and we'll confirm some details with you so that we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor

Hi,

Many thanks.

Would be happy to get an engineer to kick it back up the speed table.

Ask them to move me to a closer cabinet as well.....(I can dream).

Kind regards,

James

OCE_Debbie

Hi JamesHappy

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor

Done. Hope engineer can kick back to the speed it was at.

OCE_Chris

Hi James,

I've replied to your PM requesting a bit more information 

Thanks

Chris

OCE_Chris

Hi James 

I've booked the appointment for tomorrow morning (January 23 2020, AM 08:00-13:00) - please let us know how you get on

Thanks

Chris

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor

Hi,

Thanks, will post when done.

Cheers,

James

OCE_Chris
JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the Openreach man. He tested the circuit and found the following.

BT OR Tester - 22Mbs

TT SAGEcom Router 18Mbs

T-Link Router (mine) 22Mbs

The question I have is - why does the TT supplied router run at about 4Mbs slower that my router or the engineer test equipment?

Following all the issues with testing back in mid December with Sky not working and requests from TT Support to reboot the router several times, this put the DLM into thinking there was a fault when none existed. Sky came back on its own and has been work fine since.

Lesson here - be careful how many times a customer turns the router off and on as it may cause the DLM to think a fault exists when it does not and can not recover from the error condition.

I would also like to understand from TT why there is about a 25% difference between routers and test equipment. 

Thank you Chris and Debbie for getting the man round to fix it.

OCE_Chris

Hi James,

Thanks for the update, glad to hear your speed has improved. Different routers can sync at different speeds but I don't know specifically why the Sagemcom router is sync 4Mbps slower than the Huawei on your line.

Chris

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Chris,

The TalkTalk Router sagemcom fast 5364 and runs 4Mb slower than others.

This is the unit https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/wifiHub

Even the test done by the engineer shows it syncs slower.

My personal router is

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/td-w9980/

Seems this one performs better, i.e. 4Mb faster.

JamesHappy_0-1579776878653.png

On that basis is it OK to use my router?

Will support insist that I MUST use a TT router?

Many thanks,

James

OCE_Michelle

Hi James,

You don't have to use the TT router if you would prefer to use your own. Would you like to try a different version of firmware for the wifi hub to see if this makes any difference to the sync speed?

Thanks

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Michelle,

I would prefer to use a TT Router as it gives less issues with support......

That is the only reason.

Both work fine and my VoIp phone is happy with either box.

If you think it will make a big difference don't mind swapping back to test but want to avoid to many restarts close together of the DLM might get upset with me.

Tell me what you want me to do.

Have no problem manually uploading a firmware update.

Cheers,

James

OCE_Michelle

Hi James,

Ok no problem 🙂 Unfortunately we're not able to provide the firmware, we would have to update this for you.

Thanks

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Michelle.

No problem, will plug the unit in again.

Kind regards,

James

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor

Hi,

Details on the performance of the hub.

JamesHappy_0-1579795931842.png

Version

JamesHappy_1-1579795972607.png

So a big difference in performance.

The following is a speed test after the engineer had finished (9:48am) then swapping back to TTRouter (4:32pm). dropped from 20 to 16Mbps _ a whopping 20% difference.

JamesHappy_0-1579797351317.png

OCE_Michelle

Hi James,

Sorry for the delay. I've spoken to our Products Team again and we now don't think the FW will make any difference so they will continue to look into this further. In meantime would you like to re-connect your alternative router again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks