would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speed drop

ANSWERED
11 REPLIES 11
scblues
Wizz Kid

Having had problems with speed drops last July (2108), which were resolved after 3 visits from BTOR engineers, I have been having consistent upload speeds of 68/69 Mbps and download speeds of about 18/19 Mbps up to 19th March 2019.  Since then my download speed has dropped to about 41 Mbps and upload to about 3 Mbps.

I have fibre with fibre speed boost using the new TalkTalk HUb. The screenshots below from the Ofcom dashboard show how speeds have dropped over the last two weeks190331 sam.pngofcom dashboard

Divsec
Community Star

Hi scblues, are you aware of any disconnections or interference on the line. Those graphs sort of look like DLM trying to find a stable speed for you. Your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during tomorrow. I'd give them a chance to look at your line before doing anything dramatic.

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
scblues
Wizz Kid

Thanks Divsec.  I don't appear to have any interference on the line when I make phone calls.

Community Team

Hi scblues

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line tests have detected a possible fault. Is your landline service working ok when making calls?

Is your router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

scblues
Wizz Kid

The line seems fine when making calls.  The router is connected to an Openreach master socket 5C.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi scblues,

Thanks for the update. The line test is detecting the fault towards the property. Just to confirm, does the master socket have a test socket?

Your guide to master sockets

Thanks

scblues
Wizz Kid

Yes.  There is a test socket.  The master socket is an Openreach 5C MK4 which is basically a test socket with a MK4 filter plugged into it.  However, as a check, I have removed the MK4 filter and replaced with a standard filter so that I can now say that the router is connected to the test socket.

Community Team

Hi scblues,

I've just run another line test, still picking up a potential issue. Do you have any other devices in addition to your router, connected to the test socket? Sync speed is 75.4Mbps

Chris

scblues
Wizz Kid

Only the telephone.

Community Team
Solution

Hi scblues,

Thanks for confirming. What speeds are you receiving at the moment? Could you try switching the router off for a full 30 minutes and then run another wired speed test to see if there is any improvement in throughput speed please.

Thanks

scblues
Wizz Kid

Thank you.  I switched the router off for 30 minutes and retested speeds.  Download is now 71.2 Mbps and Upload is 19.1 Mbps so problem solved.

I had previously tried turning the router off and on but had only allowed 5 minutes off time.  It seems that I should have left it off for longer.

Thank you for your help.

Community Team

Hi scblues,

Thanks for trying this and I'm glad to hear that the speeds have improved.

Thanks