Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speed has died to nothing or being throttled

9 REPLIES 9
pcb755
Chatterbox

1.5 weeks ago I noticed my speed had dropped from the 40mb I am supposed to be getting down to 6mb.

I contacted support and they said my router had failed and they sent me a replacement. I plugged the replacement in no difference. Contacted support again they did something on their end and told me to wait 24hrs and come back to them if still a problem.

Waited 24hrs and my speed had dropped to 4.7mb. Contacted support again they did something again and told me to wait another 24hrs. 24hrs later my speed had dropped to 4.2mb.

Contacted support and they escalated the issue to a manager told me to wait upto 5 days for them to contact me over the issue. Currently its the start of day 5 and still no contact.

Plus to make things worse my internet disconnected on it's own around 3am this morning and when it came back.... now down to max speed of 3.8mb. It's quite clear that talktalk are the ones deliberately slowing down my internet speed as they are doing things to my access speed on their end.

My official complaint number is 1-000006-128359-0 if I don't hear back from talktalk manager today I will have to start looking into logging an official complaint via Ofcom, also since 01/04/19 I am legally entitled to compensation of £8/day after the 1st 2 days of failed service which is already at 10 days!

Community Team

Hi pcb755

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Is your router currently switched on?

I can escalate your complaint to our CEO's Office, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

pcb755
Chatterbox
Not at the moment as I'm at work. Basically just want to manager who my complaint was logged which is make contact with me (via number provided in the complaint) to discuss the issue and resolve the problems.
Community Team

Hi pcb755

I have escalated your complaint and requested that you are contacted as soon as possible. Apologies for the delays.

Can I just check, how often do you switch your router off?

Thanks

Debbie

pcb755
Chatterbox

Few times a week which should make no difference. Plus using the new router which has made no difference to the speed issues.

Community Team

Hi pcb755

Thanks for your reply.

For fibre connections we advise to leave the router switched on. If DLM detects that the connection is not stable then it will change the profile and reduce the speed to help stabilise the connection.

Thanks

Debbie

pcb755
Chatterbox
Had to google what DLM is as had no idea it existed or that it was being used on my account. Find it odd only recently causing an issue and been turning off the router when I'm not home for years....
On side note would explain why around 2:30am every evening my internet is reset as I guess the DLM is doing an update to my profile. Happened again last night and now down to 3.3mb connection speed. Will leave the router on for good and see if it makes the speed pick back up.
Also I had a look on other posts regarding this issue as it appears to happen to a lot of people, they talk about requesting a DLM profile update where you tell the system there were no issues and it puts the speed back up to what it was. Is that something I can request?
Community Team

Hi pcb755

DLM should increase the speed if the connection remains stable. If the connection remains stable but the sync speed doesn't increase then this would need a DLM reset, this can only be completed by an Openreach engineer.

Our complaints team have advised that they will contact you within the next 24hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

pcb755
Chatterbox
How long does it take DLM to improve the line speed? I ask as now been 3 days of continuous connect and still sat on 3.4mb speed.
Community Team

Hi pcb755

We usually advise to allow DLM at least 48hrs to  make changes to the line profile if the connection remains stable and errors are low.

Have you been contacted by the Complaints Manager?

Thanks

Debbie