Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speed has never been what was guaranteed

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
First Timer

Hi

I've been with talktalk for over a year and the speed has never been great but we just thought that was it and didn't know how to test the speed, it recently got worse so we found out how to test the speed, we was getting about 2Mbps download speed, on doing the test we got a message saying there was a problem on the line and an engeneer would visit within a couple of days, the engeneer visited within the time which I thought was great customer service, he found a problem at the top of a pole the speed went up to about 15.5Mbps download speed which is better then it's ever been, the guaranteed speed is 25Mbps he assured me we couldn't get that because we're further away from the supplying source then the system shows, so although it's much better then it was and I'm pleased with the speed I feel I've payed for something that I've not recieved and can't recieve, I've got another 4/5 months left on the contract I'd like to know what talktalk can offer in respect of the above 

J h Jones.
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

There is no guarantee. The speed to get is probably within the line limits because of the distance from the street cabinet. 25mbps is the top limit achievable in ideal conditions and if you live next to the street cabinet.

Highlighted
Philosopher

@mrwrighty 

EVERY contract has a minimum guaranteed speed and this determines whether a line is classed as having a fault.

If line speed falls below the MGALS then the ISP will investigate.

You are completely wrong about the maximum speed attainable, on the two TT fibre products, it is 40 on the capped product and 80 if you have the boost and if you are close enough to the cabinet.

Martin
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

I'm not wrong, you say if you are close to the cabinet, which is exactly what I said. The further away you are the slower the speed that's the physics of copper/aluminium cabling. Yes there is a minimum guaranteed speed but not a guaranteed maximum speed other than what the service can provide in ideal circumstances. I'm on 40mbps as a service but get about 35/36mbps. The OP doesn't mention the service they have so assumed that if it was as low as 2mbps it is ADSL which can supply speeds up to 24mbps.

Highlighted
Philosopher

The OP's speed is WELL BELOW the MGALS and as such should be investigated.

He has posted in FIBRE with a MGALS speed of 25 and that is the MINIMUM he should be getting according to the contract.

*@#][!![]'#[@#]!* @mrwrighty read his post, don't speculate.

@jamesjones , what speed range were you given for your fibre service ?

Martin
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

The fact he has posted in the fibre community does not mean he has fibre, he may well have made a mistake in where he posted. He makes no reference to fibre in his post so the assumption was that with such low speeds the service was ADSL and not fibre. I will stand corrected that's not a problem. I did read the post hence my reply.

Highlighted
First Timer

The order says faster fibre and line rental

J h Jones.
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

My apologies for previous posts, I stand corrected.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi jamesjones

Apologies for the delay.

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi james,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Does your master socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket for at least 48hrs so we can see if DLM makes any changes to the sync speed?

Thanks