Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speed has slowed

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

I’m guaranteed 17mbps download speed but only getting around 4mbps. I wonder what is wrong. 

I just wanted some advice on how long this may last? And if this is normal?

paul smith
Highlighted
Community Star

Is the 4M measured via a speed test, or is it the router's downstream line rate? If the former, what is the downstream line rate & was the speed test over a wireless or wired connection to the router?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

@Keith It's a downstream wired line speed check via the router config menu.

I am contractually promised 27 - 40 Mbps and managed over 12 Mbps over a year ago.  Now at one third of that and one tenth of max value.....

Router reboot makes no difference. Somewhere along the path something is impeding my speed.

paul smith
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @langtonbrow 

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Team Player

Mine is exactly the same.  Barely reaching 4Mbps.  Lucky if I get 2!

Ive tried contacting TT via numerous channels to no avail.

Best of luck!

Jo Sumner
Highlighted
Community Star

@JoDavid26, your own thread is making progress.  Please don't post on other threads for the same issue. 

It will take TT staff a couple of days or so to reach your thread. 

Gliwmaeden2
Highlighted
Team Player

Ok thanks and apologies - new to this.

Jo Sumner
Highlighted
Popular Poster
@Keith thanks for this. Hopefully someone will at least investigate, even if nothing can be done.
paul smith
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi @Keith,

Sorry to say that despite the promises nothing has happened and no-one from Talk talk has been in touch. I wonder if this is similar experience as other paying customers?

Money is now much tighter and Talk talk would do well to remember that once the lockdown ends people will be able to make free choices once again. 

with regards

Paul

paul smith
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi , 

Sorry for the delayed reply, we're doing our best in these unprecedented circumstances due to the Corona virus to answer everyone as quickly as possible.

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Steve
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi

Details all updated

Thanks

JoDavid26

Jo Sumner
Highlighted

Hi langtonbrow,

Sorry for the delayed reply, we're doing our best in these unprecedented circumstances due to the Corona virus to answer everyone as quickly as possible.

I can see that your sync speed has now improved, please let us know if you still need assistance 

Chris

Highlighted

Hi JoDavid26,

If you still need assistance can you please start your own thread and we'll be happy to help

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Chris,

This is false information. My sync speed is still less than one tenth of the promised speed and not what I am paying for. It is the main reason why I will be leaving talk talk in two weeks time, once the month resolution period has passed.

thanks
paul smith
Highlighted

The information is correct, I've just run another line test. Your sync speed was 3.7Mbps but is currently 21.4Mbps following a profile change on the 26th.

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster
thanks. Tested with direct router connection in middle of night at 3.8 Mbps. On un-congested network then download should closely match sync. Something or someone is metering the speed outside of my building. Hence I don't believe the sync speed.
paul smith
Highlighted

As your throughput speeds are so much lower than your sync speed could you switch your router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and retest 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster
This has helped enormously and I am now realising 18 MBPS presently. Very similar to when I first signed up several years ago. Thank you for your input, much appreciated.
paul smith
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Chris

I have startedmy own thread....it was posted before this one.

Could you look into please?

Jo Sumner
Highlighted

Hi langtonbrow,

Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear that the speeds have now increased 🙂

Thanks