Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speed reduction with speed boost

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi all,

Just had the fibre speed boost applied today, previously router capped out consistently at 39999 Kbps. I'm now syncing at just over 31000 Kbps with the same downstream noise margin of 6.1~

Upstream seems to be unaffected. Could you please check what's going on as I didn't expect given my previous stats that the speed boost would knock 8mb off the line. I would be expecting something around 50 to 60, in fact talktalk says it guarantees 32mb from my location.

Cheers

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Alestew

I'm sorry to hear this.

Can I just check if you have powered down your router for a full 30 minutes and then run a speed test following this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Hi Debbie,

Yes router has been powered down twice now. Once with 30secs timeout and again with 30mins. Still stuck at 31mb sync speed
Highlighted

Hi Alestew,

Thanks for trying this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Is the voice service ok with no noise on the line? Does your master socket also have a test socket? Which router are you using? (make and model)

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

Yes the voice service has a crackle type noise.

Master socket has a test socket, plugged in router there and same speeds. Router is a TP-Link TD-W9970. It supports speeds up to 100Mb.

Earlier in the week there was really heavy rainfall and the net disconnected for about 30mins. Perhaps there is water ingress somewhere?

Highlighted

Hi

OK, if you can unplug all equipment and test the handset directly in the test socket is the crackle still present.

Do you have another handset to test or is it possible to test your handset on a friend or neighbour's line to make sure the handset is not at fault ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Hi Karl, Tested phone in master socket and no crackle. Checked again at usual location and also no crackle. Must have been a blip. However since doing that, the router has now synced at an even lower 30.6Mb : (
Highlighted

Hi

OK, as all line tests are clear would you like to try a replacement router to rule out a hardware issue before we look at an engineer ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Hi Karl,

No thanks I've just plugged in the TalkTalk router I have at the master socket and got just over 32Mb so not close to my old speed on the slower package. Any charges for Engineers? What happens when a speed boost is applied? Is there any engineering work done at the exchange or is just a software cap that talktalk remove from the account?
Highlighted

Hi

If speed is better at the test socket then this could have a faulty faceplate.

There are charges for engineers if this is anything internal such as the faceplate or wiring.

A new faceplate can be found online cheaply.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Karl,

My issue here is that my connection was perfect and capped out at the max speed the slower package provided. I was working from home when the switch to the boost took place and as soon as I was disconnected and reconnected again the speed had dropped.

The TalkTalk router clearly syncs a few Mb faster than my TP link currently. This never was the case hence why I switched it out in the first place. Notwithstanding, I've also tried my TP link at the master socket and get the same speeds as when connected to the filtered faceplate.

Even if we accept the miniscule extra speed from the TalkTalk router, paying an extra 2.50 per month for a drop of 7Mb clearly isn't acceptable.

I'll eat my underpants if an Engineer finds a fault in my house that boosts the speeds into the 40s-50s. However what's the charge if that were to be the case? Also is there a charge if no fault is found?

Highlighted

Hi

The sync speed is below the predicted rate for the line so the only way forward is an engineer.

I'll drop you a PM with the details.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips