Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speed slows until I restart the Router

47 REPLIES 47
ZeniCepian
Team Player

My internet speed keeps slowing down to a crawl over a period. If I restart the router it is back to normal (shows about 20Mbps on your speed test) but it drops until finally it is an unusable (5 - 6Mbps) then I have to restart router again.

OCE_Michelle
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi ZeniCepian,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault. Just to confirm, when the speeds drop does this affect both the wired and wireless speed?

Thanks

ZeniCepian
Team Player

Thanks Michelle, had another problem Monday 16th November 2000. I was about to join an important online meeting. Speed 3mps wifi and ethernet. Rebooted speed 20 mbs. I was really late joining the meeting ;(

OCE_Debbie

Hi ZeniCepian

Apologies for this.

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing to see how the connection/speed compares?

Thanks

Debbie

ZeniCepian
Team Player

Thanks Debbie, yes I'd like to try that.

Zeni

OCE_Debbie

Hi Zeni

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

ZeniCepian
Team Player

Thanks very much for the new router Debbie, it is installed and working but unfortunately I've still only the same disappointingly low 20 Mbps with my Faster Fibre connection. However this has been stable for two days so fingers crossed that you have solved the periodic drops to 5 Mbps.    

JHW20
First Timer

Hello,

We have a similar problem.  Over the last few months we have had to re-boot the router from time to time.  Over the last month it has been daily and we have to re-booted 2 or 3 times. Checking our status always comes up with - all OK. Our router in an HG633 - is this the right one for Faster Fibre?

Appreciate any comments.

ZeniCepian
Team Player

The reported issues occur with the DG8041W router

JHW20
First Timer

Thanks Zen. . However, our problems are with a HG633 router that requires re-booting so we can get onto the web.  If it is a bad day we have to reboot 3 or 4 times ina day.  Yet the service area on the TalkTalk web (when we have re-booted) says "all ok"..

OCE_Debbie

Hi ZeniCepian

Apologies for the delay.

How has the connection/speed been since your last post?

I've checked the connection stats and your line is currently in sync at 21.7mb.

Thanks

Debbie

ZeniCepian
Team Player

Thanks Debbie, current speed is 19.7 Mbps download and 0.9 upload. To date it has stayed around this value unlike with the original router that frequently throttled down to 5 Mbps. As requested I have returned the original router to you. Thanks for your help

OCE_Debbie

Hi ZeniCepian

Thanks for letting us know.

Debbie

ZeniCepian
Team Player

Sorry Debbie,

The same fault has returned, regularly getting 3-4 mbs wifi and cable, once the router is rebooted the download returns to 20 mbps. Not impressed as I'm paying for faster fibre

Best Regards

Zeni

ferguson
Community Star

Unfortunately faster fibre slows down with every metre of copper wire between the cabinet and your home.

Could you post the DSL connection stats from your router?

Subject to that wait until the support team are back online next week.

ZeniCepian
Team Player

Thanks for the suggestion.

The copper wire to my house passes through trees, it has I understand been spliced after a storm. It passes over an electricity sub station. Barely standard for voice telephony it is no way adequate for 2021 data connectivity.

Here is the DSL data

DSL synchronization

Connection status:
ShowtimeUpstream line rate (kbit/s):1151
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):28058
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):1151
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):31624
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):5.8
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):2.3
Line standard:Vdsl2_ANNEX_B
Upstream line attenuation (dB):11.5
Downstream line attenuation (dB):30.8
Upstream output power (dBm):0.4
Downstream output power (dBm):12.9
DSL up time:0 day 17 hours 15 minutes 24 seconds

OCE_Michelle

Hi ZeniCepian,

Apologies for the delay. I've re-run the line test again now which is clear, however I can see re-connections on the line. Just to confirm, is your connection also dropping or is this the router being rebooted?

Thanks

ZeniCepian
Team Player

The connection is not dropping. I have to restart the router to reset get decent speed. After it drops to 5-6 I have to restart

OCE_Michelle

Hi ZeniCepian,

Thanks for confirming. If the speeds increase straight after a router reboot then this would suggest a possible router issue, however I can see that you have already tested with a different router. Just to confirm, is the replacement router the same make and model as your original router? When the speed is currently dropping to 5-6mb, are wired devices also showing the same speeds or just wireless?

Thanks

ZeniCepian
Team Player

It has just happened again, watching a program on demand and the program just halted

Speed test on wired connection shows 9.5 mps (attached)

The DSL details (attached)

I rebooted the router speed is now 25.7 mps.

I believe the connection outside my property is so poor and unstable the router and your server negotiate down to a slow speed. When I reboot it resets then degrades to the poor service I generally experience.

Slow Speed.pngDSL.pngAcceptable Speed.png