cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speed unexpectedly dropped - was c22Mbps now c14Mbps (noise margin profile stable at 6dB)

36 REPLIES 36
aolmum
Wizz Kid

...also noticed in results that my Hub seems to have gone down sometime in past day, yet I wasn't aware of any powercuts at home and no-one seems to have unplugged the hub for any reason (did have a few powercuts about two weeks ago, then had firmware update in past week to  version SG4K10001E00t, but each time, speed remained around 22Mbps).

In addition, the Maintenance Log entries seem to be missing (were definitely there before firmware update).

Not sure if relevant, but had a Kid Safe issue fixed in past day -  not aware if any remote access/restart was applied to achieve it:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Home-Safe-Super-Safe-Boost/Kidsafe-Blocked-Website-List-no-longe...

Oddly, having just ran a Service Status test, it is telling me my broadband connection is healthy, however it is also saying:

"health check on your service shows that you may not be using one of our latest routers. You might be using an old TalkTalk router or a third party router"

yet I have been using latest Home Hub since received late November!

Screenshot_2019-01-24-00-36-26.pngHealthy but not new router

Screenshot_2019-01-23-23-38-55.pngSpeed Tonight

Screenshot_2019-01-23-23-38-17.pngUsual Speed

Screenshot_2019-01-23-23-57-18.pngLog awol?

aolmum
Wizz Kid

Also from Service Status which I just ran, my speed today was measured at it's usual 23Mbps, albeit it is now 14Mbps:

Screenshot_20190124-004954.png

Community Team

Hi aolmum,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however the sync speed has dropped. Just to confirm, are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line or no dial tone?

Thanks

aolmum
Wizz Kid

Thanks for checking too, @OCE_Michelle 

No obvious problems with landline. No potential sources of interference added in Hub location area either.

As pointed out above, too, my profile seems unaltered, with noise level steady at 6dB.

Odd that your system also seems to think I am using an old or non Talk Talk router, when, as already said, I am using the latest Talk Talk Home Hub with the latest firmware version (albeit apparently with missing log reports now).

Community Team

Hi aolmum,

Ok thanks for letting me know. Have you recently added any new equipment to the line or made any changes to the set up? Does your master socket also have a test socket?

Thanks

aolmum
Wizz Kid

Hello @OCE_Michelle 

No changes to equipment, set up etc.

Yes, master socket has a test socket. I'll try and get some time later to test via same.

Meantime, despite me having been online, via wireless, for past hour or so (and yes, via the Hub), Hub now thinks no device is using it. Given this, speed drop and missing logs, I'm starting to wonder if the new Hub is 'poorly' and in need of some attention:

Screenshot_2019-01-24-09-55-26.png

Community Team

Hi aolmum,

Ok thanks. Could you bump your thread tomorrow and we can re-check the connection stats to see how the sync speed compares at the test socket. In regards to the logs, I'll raise this to our Products Team and will let you know as soon as I know more.

Thanks

aolmum
Wizz Kid

Ok. Switched modem off for 30 minutes. Now up and running via test socket. Speed back up to c22Mbps. As requested, will leave running via test socket overnight:

Screenshot_2019-01-24-11-32-23.png

Have also ran an independent speed test, just over wi-fi, with similar results:

Screenshot_2019-01-24-11-47-01.png

Community Team

Hi aolmum,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how the speeds compare over the next 48hrs.

Thanks

aolmum
Wizz Kid

Hello @OCE_Michelle 

1) Sync and speed have remained good over past 24hrs in test socket. I shall leave on test socket over weekend and post update on Monday.

However,

2) Still unable to view logs though, as per screenshot posted earlier in thread.

3) Still issues with devices not always showing as connected (again, mentioned and screenshot earlier in thread). For example, the Device I am currently using is, when I logged into Hub five minutes or so ago, not showing as connected, yet it was showing as connected when I logged into Hub earlier this morning and the Device has been in constant use since (with reserved IP).

4) Service Status still thinks I am either not using the latest Talk Talk router or am using a non Talk Talk router, despite fact I am using the new Hub (and have been since end of November).

As previously said, 2) and 3) above only seem to have been an issue since recent firmware update.

Community Team

Hi aolmum,

Thanks for the update. I've passed all your points over to our Products Team now and I'll let you know as soon as I know more.

Thanks

aolmum
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Michelle 

Sync speed has remained consistent, with Hub in test socket over weekend, as have download speeds when checked at various times, so I shall power down again at some point today for 30 minutes, and swap back to main master socket.

Other issues, as advised earlier in thread, remain outstanding, though:

Hub still not accurately reflecting active devices.

Still cannot view logs.

Friendly names come and go, even if ISP set to reserved before friendly name is entered.

TalkTalk service status still thinks I am using an old or non TT router, when I am using Hub.

Screenshot_2019-01-28-12-08-12.pngSync speed remained constant in Test Socket

Screenshot_2019-01-28-12-08-36.pngI'm connected - yet Hub says no devices connected!

Community Team

Hi aolmum,

Thanks for the update and please let us know how the connection compares once the router is located back at its original location. The other points you've raised are still with our Products Team.

Thanks

aolmum
Wizz Kid

Update for @OCE_Michelle 

Powered down for 30 minutes today and swapped connections back into the front of the master socket rather than in to test section.

When powered back on, Hub synced at 22.8Mbps, so remained as was.

Screenshot_2019-01-29-16-44-41.png

Speed test (just via wi-fi) ran and was at 21.2Mbps, so all seemed ok.

However, as a final check, I ran a TT Service Status, and received somewhat odd result messages (see screenshots below), given that 20Mbps is within my estimated speed, not below it. 

Why am I getting these messages on Service Status (seems a bit ironic given there were no such messages when my sync speed last week unexpectedly dropped to c 14Mbps)?

Screenshot_20190129-163732.png

Screenshot_20190129-163913.png

Community Team

Hi aolmum,

Just to confirm, did you get the same message before you moved the router?

Thanks

aolmum
Wizz Kid

Hello @OCE_Michelle 

No, the message on Service Status when sync was down at 14Mbps last week, can be seen in post#2 above. At that point, the Service Status wasn't even registering that the sync had gone down to 14,  only that it thought I was using an old or non TT router.

Hub itself has not been moved, it has always been adjacent to master socket, so was in same position when in test socket.

The messages on the Service Status page yesterday, per screenshots at post #14 above, make no sense whatsoever, hence why I posted them for you to check. Although not visible on those particular screenshots, it was also still reporting that it thought I was using an old or non TT router.

As said, Hub is in sync at 22.8Mbps, with speed tests returning between 21 and 22Mbps (both using independent and Talk Talk speed tests, the latter of which should show on my records), even though just over wi-fi, so is working fine now, it is just the Service Status results that are odd, given they say 20Mbps is below 14 - 23Mbps, when clearly it isn't and indeed is towards top end of that range.

The problem seems, therefore, to be with your Service Status itself.

Following screenshots are from past few minutes, and Service Status still at odds with actual Hub sync rate, as well as still thinking 20Mbps is lower than 14 - 23 Mbps, which of course it isn't:

Screenshot_20190130-084512.png

Screenshot_2019-01-30-08-41-30.pngScreenshot_20190130-084026.png

Community Team

Hi aolmum,

Ok, I'll feed this back and please let us know if the speed does drop again.

Thanks

aolmum
Wizz Kid

...warning logged twice in the space of about an hour (yes, I can now view some of the logs, albeit not without issues), the latter seems to have been around time connection went down (it may also have gone down when first warning logged, but no one in household was using devices at that time, so if it did, we didn't notice). Yet, I am a personal customer (so Vlan 101, as per screenshot), not a business customer, so why a Vlan 36 warning?

A telephone call of a few minutes ended around time the first warning was logged and an approximate half hour telephone call also ended around time of second warning. There was no interference of any nature noticed during either call.

Screenshot_2019-01-31-22-43-18.png

@OCE_Michelle  (or any OCE), hate to find myself having to ask for assistance again so soon, but what do you suggest now, as this is becoming frustrating, especially as the Fibre package has only been in place since end of November.

Most issues since start of this thread, including latest, have happened since recent firmware update on Hub. Before that, Hub ran for almost 5 or 6 weeks without issue

Screenshot_2019-01-31-22-20-07.png

Screenshot_2019-01-31-21-21-22.png

Screenshot_2019-01-31-21-56-35.png

Screenshot_2019-01-31-21-24-28.png

Update this morning:

Have just switched off/unplugged Hub for 30 mins (it was still only synced at 10.4Mbps before this). Kept it connected to master socket but not test socket. Powered back up and has Synced at 22.7Mbps, so it doesn't look like DLM was cause of the drop last night to just over 10Mbps, otherwise surely it would still be stepping up from 10 and not have reached 22.7 already?

Screenshot_2019-02-01-09-40-03.png

Speed test (just over wi-fi, and not that close to Hub at time) also back to more usual result:

Screenshot_2019-02-01-09-49-27.png

Only other difference noticed is that Downstream power dBm is back to its more usual 10.4, whereas was 7.3 last night:

Screenshot_2019-02-01-09-57-37.png

Community Team

Hi aolmum 

Apologies for this.

I've made a change to the firmware, please can you test this and let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

aolmum
Wizz Kid

Meantime, any idea why Vlan36 when I am not a business user, or was this connected to the previous Firmware issues?

Anyhow, in case it is of help, I finally managed to find last night's info logs for around 18:25 and 19:25 ( not easily done as info logs are not presenting in date order, and can only go back through them one page at a time - a separate issue in itself that several other customers have already raised):

Screenshot_2019-02-01-10-11-04.png