would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speeds halved after moving from an other ISP

23 REPLIES
Highlighted
Brett72TT
Participant

Well not a great start, I was getting 27Mbps with my prvious ISP, move here and it under 14 now,
Staff read their script very well but thats a wasye of time,
Am I right to want to cancel already ?
I have no confidence on the phone or Chat bods, they have no technical knowledge at all,
if it doesnt say on their screen, they ignore you, won`t even answer questions about what my IP profile is , its the basic information you need before knowing what my line is doing or capable of doing.
So frustrating. . . 

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Brett72TT

I've drawn this topic to the attention of the TalkTalk Community support team and an OCE will respond to you right here to help you.

You may have already done this bit but ensure your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your landline phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and save changes. The Community support OCE will then be able to link this topic to your TalkTalk service account.

Leave your router powered and connected to the line until you hear from an OCE.  The OCE will be able to check the line performance and the router and will have options to discuss with you including escalation to Openreach if a fault is present.

You'll have received in the welcome pack and at the point of sale a Speed range for the line and a minimum guaranteed speed. This is based on Openreach survey data. You can check that out for your line at BT DSL Checker Just enter the post code and house number or name and press submit.  The line profile is standard. Optimised for a balance between speed and stability.  The profile is not selectable on demand.

Bear in mind that the TalkTalk entry level product is Openreach 40/10 i.e. 40Mbps downstream available from the street cabinet.

Gondola - Taking a little break *
Community Team

Hi Brett72TT,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see quite a few re-connections on the line which can affect the sync speed. 

Just to confirm, is the connection also unstable? Are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line?

Thanks

Brett72TT
Participant

No noted disconnections or issues with voice, no noises online(quiet test carried out),
Weird how changing from one ISP to another has halved my speeds, with no other changes bar the new router and new account.

Brett72TT
Participant
Also when I rang CS earlier I got the message welcoming me to TT, and my account would be active in the next 5 hours, the same message I got yesterday,
My old ISP also said that their connection would cease on the 17th, is there some kind of delay or issues,
Vodafone are saying i should get my old speed of 24-29 Mbps with them, so I think it may be better to go with them,
so my old speed of 27 Mbps was normal.
Brett72TT
Participant
HG633
Device ID:
00E0FC-C4R8W17805956884
Hardware version:
H.1.01
Software version:
v2.00t
System up time:
0 days 15 hours 51 minutes 18 seconds
Brett72TT
Participant
DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2_Vectoring
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
Interleaved
DSL up-time:
0 days 15 hours 48 minutes 54 seconds
Community Team

Hi Brett72TT,

You are on a 40Mbps profile but router is only currently syncing at 14.1Mbps. Can you switch your router off and leave it off for 30 minutes then switch back on and check to see if the speed has increased, if not then we'll ask our network team to take a look at this for you

Chris

Brett72TT
Participant

Done that and no change . . .

Community Team

OK, thanks. This has been raised to our network team so I've asked them for an update. If you don't hear anything later today or over the weekend can you bump the thread again on Monday

Chris

Community Team

Hi Brett72TT

The next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further, to do this can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also PM you to confirm some other details

Thanks
Chris

Brett72TT
Participant

I am confused what you think an engineer will find, I unplugged a HH5 and plugged in your rubbish router, the speeds went from 27 Mbps to under 14 Mbps,
the only thing that changed is YOUR equipment . . . 

Community Team

Apologies, hadn't realised that you'd had 27Mbps with TalkTalk using your old router, are you able to test with the old router again?

Chris

Brett72TT
Participant

Oh dear Chris,
Would you like to read my post and get back to me ?

Brett72TT
Participant

After a phone call from a higher manager who spoke very poor english, and seeing this YT video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBxP3JU1q3w

Im out, I am leaving, I cant be doing with the hassle and threats of bills from engineers when the only thing that had changed was your equipment,
Lies about people ringing that never call, half a day off waiting for the call and nothing,

You complain but they have no idea, 
you need call centres in the UK, not south africa or the Phillipines,

I cant believe that TT are still in business if you Goggle issues, its everyone,
im yet to see anyone get their issues truelly sorted,

Oliver(not his real name I bet) who called today had NO idea why he was calling me, 
I was sent the sms saying I would get acall about the complaint, all he asked was have you got a new router . . 
Without testing the swear filter, TT are flipping disgusting.

ferguson
Community Star

Just to clarify, which is what I think OCE Chris was getting at, you had 27 meg previously with a different router, but not when connected to the TalkTalk service? Or have you only had the TalkTalk router connected since switching? These are sync rates, yes? In which case it would be either your router is faulty, or Openreach have messed up in moving you across, because the fibre service comes down exactly the same network regardless of provider. The OCE will be back online on Monday so if you are prepared to wait a bit longer I am sure they can resolve this for you.

Brett72TT
Participant
You mean the router they send out with old firmware on, so from day one you have to ring them to get that update, inadequate equipment supplied to customers from day one.
ferguson
Community Star

v2.00t is the latest firmware version on the HG633, so I don't think that's the issue here. 

Brett72TT
Participant

The router was sent out with V1.2t on, so inadequate from the start, needed a upgrade from the second I was with TT, 
thus requiring a call to TT straight away,
Why do they send out equipment with known issues then ?
Just shows the lack of brains within TT, and why I have no confidence that anyone within TT is actually capable of sorting the problem,
Switch it off for 30 minutes lol lol lol lol lol.

Community Team

Hi Brett72TT

I've checked and your router is now running V2.00t firmware.

Your sync speed is below the predicted range.

Next option is to arrange an engineer for you. Do you wish to progress with this?

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat