Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speedtest High but downloads low with perfect signal

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Chatterbox

I have never had any issues with by talk talk fibre package. Speedtest is always between 50-60mb.
However over recent times Ive had very slow download speeds on my desktop pc and other devices. inc firesticks.
I have ran speedtest and ranges from between 0.6mb to 2mb on firestick which as i stream alot causing huge buffering issues. Desktop download speed is very slow 0.6-0.9mb.
My devices have excellent signal and tested via my mobile phone speed test too.
Am I being throttled back
I expected to find speedtest speeds to be very low and explain the issues however not the case.
Ive turned router off and on to reset a few times however the speed on my pc downloads and also my firestick streaming is painful in comparison to what it used to be. I havent made any changes

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @woodland81 welcome to the community your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during tomorrow.

I'm guessing you're connected with WiFi? If yes the cause of your problem might not even be in your home, interference coming from a neighbour could be a problem. 

Initially I would suggest Split your router's SSID (wireless network name) to see if 2.4 or 5ghz has issues. 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Chatterbox
Yeah firesticks are connected via wifi but the desktop download is very slow and even when i had a few browsers open for streams, they were buffering, device manager was showing network usage was fluctuating between 15mb-20mb.
Even when speedtests were bringing back 60mb for wifi via phone and wired desktop

Firestick were getting 0.3mb last night
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @woodland81 did you already try splitting the phone ssid? 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi woodland81

Sync speed looks ok however the line tests are failing on the Voice circuit and picking up a battery fault and possible disconnection fault.  These issues will have an impact on the Broadband and need to be addressed.

I've logged this out to BT Openreach for a Non Appointed engineer - Non appointed means the engineer will be dispatched to look at the line without requiring an appointment be made with you to visit your property.  

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Thankyou that is reassuring that an issue has been found and being dealt with.

It explains the good speed test but speed failure. no need to try the splitting (frequency channels)

Highlighted

No Problem 🙂

Check back tomorrow and I can review the engineer report and see what they find.

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Any updates ? 😊

Highlighted

Hi

No notes as yet, the fault is still under investigation by BT.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Any update so far ? Ive not been home today to test it, i know it was still dodgy yesterday evening

Highlighted

Hi woodland81,

Sorry for the delay. I've checked and the latest update is that this fault was being investigated by an engineer late yesterday afternoon and is still being investigated at the moment.

Thanks

Highlighted
Chatterbox

all sorted?

I did have a couple of days where my internet would just disconnect all together

Highlighted

Hi woodland81

The Openreach engineer left notes to advise that the fault was resolved, fault was found on underground cable.

Are you still experiencing this fault?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chatterbox

i am getting a better speed now. But it is down to around 36mb on speedtests.

Previously 60+ as i was paying that Add-on to double my speed.

Will this return back up to 60?

Highlighted

Hi woodland81

Can I just check, have you powered down the router for a full 30 minutes and then run a speed test?

Thanks

Debbie