cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Still no sign of superfast fibre boost after 5 days.......

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Popular Poster

I have recently upgraded to faster fibre with speed boost and Chat tell me that the boost is visible in my account. I cannot get over 30mbs, the boost was to give me 64mbs. TalkTalk says that the boost is active, I have been through Chat 4 times now with no success and noted below the other checks. Help please anyone given I now suspect that speeds greater than 30mbs are just not available where I live despite the fact that TalkTalk sell the service.

So I have a faster fibre account promising download speeds of 36mbs albeit have never achieved better than say download 30mbs and upload 7mbs when carrying out hard-wired speed tests. I also now have the new TalkTalk WiFi hub and have checked that both 2.5 and 5.0 ghz channels are operational.

Given our currently available speed I agreed what I understood to be a superfast fibre boost where the chat technician suggested we would get download speeds of up to 64mbs albeit appreciate this is a maximum and average speed will be lower than this.

Day 5 of the boost and NO increase in speed despite 4 sessions now with the TalkTalk chat team. I have turned off the router on 2 occasions over the past 4 days for several hours to reset the system which has not helped and assume the DLM should have settled down by now to our increased speed.

When I log into our new router it is telling me that max download speed is circa 34mbs despite the boost which the chat team tell me they can see in my account. Line tests are not highlighting any issues.

I am running out of ideas other than running a new temporary CW1308 twisted cable from the incoming BT box direct to the router however am not convinced the problem is with the internal wiring given I am already achieving circa 30mbs......

Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received given I am struggling to get much useful help out of the chat team?

Highlighted
Philosopher
It looks like you have been sold the boost in error.
If your original sync speed was not 40/10 then you line in highly unlikely to support anything faster.
Martin
Highlighted
Popular Poster

So the TalkTalk Chat tech knew my account, address, etc. so at a slight loss that he would suggest a boost to 64mbs if it is not available in my street and I note that TalkTalk are actively selling superfast fibre, hence are you suggesting that they are selling something that cannot be achieved?

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi rsmith1966,

I'm sorry for the delay in responding and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential voice fault. Are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line or no dial tone as this can affect the broadband connection?

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your reply and to confirm there has been an issue with our phone line for quite some time now albeit this doesn’t appear to have impacted on the circa 28mbs to 30mbs we typically experience with our broadband however a recent occurrence is that our landline phone connection has significantly deteriorated to the point where the phone is unusable so this does justify further investigation. Just to reconfirm however that the reduction in phone line quality started several weeks before our new router arrived and we established the faster fibre boost and the speeds are similar before and after, albeit I do not disagree that a reduction in phone line quality could well be impacting our broadband performance.

A couple of other things to add: when I log into our new wifi hub it is telling me that the max download speed is circa 32mbs and circa 7.0mbs upload, hence is this a function of the quality of the router connection to the outside world or is it the limit of the speed available at our address;

Given that TalkTalk utilises BT’s infrastructure to deliver the service, I have checked the maximum speed that BT offer at our address and this is limited to circa 35mbs to 36mbs subject to their plan;

I have also spoken to one of OpenReaches Bright Sparks Engineers  who again has confirmed that the phone line serving our property from either the green cabinet in the street and or the telephone pole will not support a speed greater than say 35mbs, hence to achieve any greater speed he is suggesting that the incoming line needs to be replaced from the street box to our master phone socket;

This adds to my fears that speeds higher than 35mbs are maybe just not achievable at our postcode?

So in summary: we definitely have an issue with our phone line which needs attention, however as noted it would appear that the external BT infrastructure may well need to be updated for us to achieve the speeds recommended by your chat team, albeit I would be more than happy to be proven wrong.......

I look forward to any further feedback Michelle and once thanks again.

Rob S 

Highlighted

Hi rsmith1966,

Could you give a little more information about what you mean when you say that the line has deteriorated. Is it noisy? If it is then what type of noise is it (crackle, hiss, static, buzz etc)?

How many telephone sockets do you have?

Is the telephone line still poor with a telephone connected to the test socket and all other telephone equipment disconnected 

BrightSpark engineers are our own engineers, they not from Openreach. When did the BrightSpark engineer visit?

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Morning Chris, Michelle,

So to answer your couple of queries as follows:

• The static on my phone line is more of a loud crackle, its not continuous and actually mimics the timing/frequency of the ring tone;
  • I have 3 phone sockets albeit one of these is an old master socket from a previous C&W cable connection and no currently operational master socket;
  • I plugged our BT Freestyle phone into our other phone socket last night, same line interference and although the land-line rings when I ring from my mobile, you cannot answer the call which eventually goes to answerphone - please note this could be the BT Freestyle phone, hence I do need to get another hard-wired phone to plug into either of the sockets to see if its the line;
  • As previously noted our line has been logged as having some level of issue for quite some time now (reduced internet speed, the phone line issue is a new issue) so an Engineer was sent out towards the end of September 2019 to look at both the line and scrolling of wifi on devices internally. He checked our set-up internally, didn't really look at or test the line and split the WIFI channels into the 2.5 and 5.0 ghz to help with the scrolling given we could then allocate different devices to different channels;
  • The Engineer although meant to be a BrightSparks Engineer was dressed in BT OpenReach uniform, so assume TalkTalk outsource some of their engineering to OpenReach?

Aside from the above nothing else has changed, router speeds still sitting around the 30mbs mark and I becoming more convinced as suggested by the OpenReach engineer that higher speeds are not possible with the infrastructure serving our property however would love to be proven wrong and get the circa 40mbs to 64mbs download speed I ahve bene promised.

I look forward to any further feedback and again thanks in advance for your help here.

Rob S 

Highlighted

Hi @rsmith1966

Our test indicate a bridge tap, which is internal wiring, we would need to arrange a home visit. This could potentially be chargeable.

We would need to confirm some details in order to arrange this so I have sent you a PM on the community. 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

So now have a new Openreach NTE5 master socket with VDSL/ADSL filtered faceplate and an ADSL2 J11 to J11 hardwired connection from the master socket direct to the router. All incoming and internal lines are sound.

Download speeds have improved fractionally from circa 30mbs to 30.4mbs, upload speed has increased from circa 7.0mbs to 9.7mbs. Router log-in is still telling me that max download speed is 32.4mbs and 10.0mbs upload. Phoneline issue is the same as previous.

Does this infer that its the incoming line that is limited given the download hasn't moved, the upload has increased by circa 40% from a low starting point?

Rob S  

Highlighted

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the update 

Your line profile is limiting your speed, could you give it another 24 hours to see if DLM moves you to a faster profile.

Can you still hear the loud crackle on your phone line?

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Thanks Chris,

Will do in terms of monitoring the download speed for the next 24 to 48 hours to see if there is any change/improvement.

Phone line just as bad so have ordered a cheap hardwired phone which will arrive tonight which I can plug into the master socket just to check that if its the line and not our existing BT Freestyle phones. Ill report back tomorrow or Wednesday and lets see where we go from there.....

Rob S   

Highlighted

Hi Rob,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know if there is any improvement in noise with the replacement phone. If not then we can look into this further.

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Michelle, Chris,

So plugged a brand new BT hard-wired phone into both one of my extension sockets, the cover plate of our Openreach master socket (split phone and ADSL) and the rear test socket of the master socket and the same result from all three, no dial tone, when dialled from a mobile the phone flashes but does not ring and cannot be answered. This issue with the phone line has been ongoing now for a couple of months (its not been affecting us given we only really use mobile phones now), prior to our broadband speed boost, hence do now assume there is a phone line fault that may well also be impacting our faster fibre boost speed.

I have checked the incoming BT line, white and orange cables are properly connected into the external junction box, also a hallway junction box and into the rear of the NTE5 master socket so it would appear that there are no cabling issues immediately adjacent to our property externally and or with the line internally and the broadband is still performing OK with a hard-wired ADSL cable for faster fibre, just no sign of any increase to the faster fibre boost speeds.

In terms of broadband speed, ran a check again last night and was getting 28mbs download, 8.5mbs upload however this was at a busy time (6.30pm) for the service. A remote connection test of my line is reporting: The health check we carried out on your broadband line shows that recently you have not been receiving the estimated download speed we guaranteed when you signed up to TalkTalk. Estimated speed: 39 Mb - 64 Mb; Recent speed: 32 Mb

I assume its now time to get a Bright Sparks or Openreach Engineer around to check the BT lines from the street cabinet to my property?

Rob S      

Highlighted

Hi Rob,

I've logged this over to Openreach as a non-appointed task. If you don't hear anything beforehand can you bump the thread on Friday and we'll check for updates 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Will do.

Thanks Chris...

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Chris, Michelle, Debbie,

Quick note just to say that I have been notified today that the probem/issue with our phone line has now been rectified so fingers crossed when I can check later on our phone line will be back up and running and internet speed increasing.

Am I correct in assuming that any increase in download speed will not necessarily be immediate on the basis that it takes the DLM 24 or 48 hours to increase our profile?

Ill let you know how I get on.

Rob S

Highlighted

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the update. Sync speed is now 54.7Mbps. DLM will continue to monitor your connection and adjust the profile as required. If your throughput speeds haven't improved can you switch your router off for 30 minutes then switch back on and retest 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Morning Chris,

Phone line back up and running so all good there thanks......

I checked our internet speed first thing this morning, download sitting around 32mbs, upload at nearly 13mbs so thats a 100% improvement in upload and as you suggest ill turn off the router for the requisite 30 minutes tonight and then see what happens over the following 24 hours.

Thanks for your help here and fingers crossed the download speed starts increasing.

Rob

Highlighted

Hi Rob,

Ok thank you and please let us know how the speeds compare over the weekend 🙂

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Chris, Michelle, Debbie,

So as per previous reply, phone line back up and running and still working well.

Internet also much improved with typical hard-wired speed test confirming 51mbs download and 13mbs upload which I am happy is probably as good as its going to get albeit will keep an eye on it.

Thank you all for your help here........ much appreciated.

Rob S