Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Streaming TV a pain

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi, 

Streaming progs or films from BBC iPlayer, ITV HUB, Netflix and Amazon Prime, the screen intermittently freezes, for anything from a few seconds to five minutes or longer - doesn't really add to the viewing experience! This happens with increasing frequency from mid-afternoon until about 23.00hrs. 

I get the icon on my JVC Smart TV telling me that there is no internet connection, which after a period of time reconnects. I am using TPLInk range extenders and connections at either end, to the router and TV, are through ethernet cables.

Speed test on my TV typically shows a download speed of approx 20Mbps but during issues shows 'not connected to the internet'.

The issue is intermittent so speaking to the help line is pointless as is doing a connection test in the service centre, unless you are extremely lucky and hit an issue just as you are testing!

Any ideas on what can be done to solve this issue?

Rgds and thanks

Highlighted
Community Star

The obvious first step is to try testing with a direct ethernet connection between TV and router which should establish if the extenders are causing the problem.

Highlighted
Chat Champion
Hi,
thanks for the comment, had the same thought although it seems unlikely to me! However, to exclude all possibilities ordered a 10 metre ethernet cable yesterday and expecting ti to be delivered tomorrow. Will post back if it solves the issue, but don't hold your breath!
Highlighted
Community Star

OK, keep us posted. 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi roddy5

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi,

Wouldn't you just know it, since I first posted we haven't had any issues with  internet TV!!

The weather has been better with no high winds or rain and its been a tad warmer. I thought maybe it was due to high usage in the post school day times or when people got home from work - but Sat and Sun were OK as was Monday and schools not yet on half term.

So maybe its weather related or was just one of those things.

But just in case of future issues, I have my 10 metre ethernet cable at the ready, plus as a reference I have measured the internet speed at various steps e.g., 

-router 37.6Mbps

-TP link route extender just before TV 28Mbps

-speed test on TV 20Mbps

So if we have problems in the future, maybe when the weather deteriorates or something else, we have a good base line to compare with.

Rgds

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi roddy5

Thanks for your reply.

If this does appear to be weather related then if you do experience this issue again could you also check the landline for any noise when making calls?

Debbie