would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Stuck below estimated speed

8 REPLIES 8
jamesg990
First Timer

Hi,

I joined TalkTalk Faster Fibre last week (previously with Virgin Media so haven't used phone line before).

My estimated speed when signing up was 71-80 Mbps, but I only got 20 Mbps. TalkTalk said the speed would adjust, but it remained at the same speed. After a few days, I checked on this forum and saw mention of a test socket that would bypass the phone extensions.

I plugged into the OpenReach test socket and now get around 72000 Kbps Actual Rate and Maximum Rate in the router config page, where it was previously around 20000 Kbps.

However, my download speed (speedtests and downloading files) is still only around 20 Mbps.

My router is the TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub version SG4K10001E00t.

I don't need the phone extensions and am happy to remain connected to the test socket. Can TalkTalk now increase my speed up to the maximum?

Thanks

James

john_star_man
Chatterbox

Hi James, Interesting - I have similiar issue - Plugged my new router in yesterday & should be getting 70+ and I only got <2 download even though when I connect direct to router using cable it reports my incoming internet speed at >70...

This is really frustrating.  John

Divsec
Community Star
Hi James, welcome to the community and to Talk talk. You arrived by the same route as me and I am happy I made the change. Apartments anything TT can do a big influencer in your speeds is the local exchange and a bit of kit called DLM. Over a period of about 10 days this monitors the line and then optimises the line. TT prioritize stability over speed. Still what you are seeing isn't good enough.
First thing for you to try is disconnecting your router for 30 minutes, this breaks the connection with the DLM kit and causes it to re-evaluate the line.
In case this doesn't work I've flagged your post for assistance. In the meantime please check your community profile and add your landline phone number, I know you don't use it but it will be mentioned in your account.
The team here work office hours and I would expect you to hear shortly.
Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
Divsec
Community Star
Hi John, welcome to the community. Sorry you are having problems. If you would like assistance please start your own thread and thus receive personal assistance.
jamesg990
First Timer

Thanks. I will power off the router for 30 mins and report back.

john_star_man
Chatterbox
Thks Divsec - I already started a thread earlier today. I will try the 30min trick when I get home - thks
jamesg990
First Timer

Many thanks for the advice. After the 30+ min power-off, the download speed increased to 69 MBits/sec which is very close to the estimated speed when I signed up.

Divsec
Community Star
Brilliant. Thanks for reporting back. Let's hope it stays like that for you. Enjoy
Community Team

Hi James,

I'm glad to hear this and thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks