cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Sudden drop in speed

18 REPLIES
Highlighted
fluffytbw
Conversation Starter

Today all of a sudden my speed has dropped from 20Mbps all the way down to 0.88Mbps. Any insight would be helpful. 

Link speed showing 1263Kbps

Router is the HG635 and on Fibre. 

Also it drops connection altogether from time to time. 

Community Team

Hi fluffytbw,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've completed a line test which has detected a potential fault and the connection looks really unstable.

Just to confirm, are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as no dial tone or any noise on the line? Does the master socket also have a test socket?

Thanks

fluffytbw
Conversation Starter

I have also been on live chat about this but they don't see a fault on the line?

I am currently in work until 5.30.

But I did check the phone last night and this morning and it is fine no issues I could see/hear.

On checking the router I did notice the upstream nosie safety coefficient rise to over 6000 (db) which is beyond high.

When the service dose run for 5 mins I try and google somthing which brings up a fault saying

''Your Connection is not private'' this shows on my laptop, desktop, phone and tablet.

I have the new NTE5/C master socket with the MK4 Vdsl face plate with a Cat6 RJ45 to RJ11 cable from face plate to router which all this was done over 2 Months ago.

I have no extensions within the property.

Community Team

Hi fluffytbw

Thanks for your reply.

Have you also tested with a different router?

Debbie

fluffytbw
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie

No sorry I don't have another router to try at home. 

Community Team

Hi fluffytbw

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

fluffytbw
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie

That would be great as it would rule out the router as the fault.

Thank you.

Community Team

Hi fluffytbw

I've ordered a replacement router, please allow 3-5 working days for delivery (you'll also receive a returns bag to send the old router back in)

Please let us know how you get on.

Chris

fluffytbw
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris

Many thanks. I will try my old cables tonight and also remove the Vdsl filter just to make sure these have not gone faulty and will keep you posted.

Cheers

Community Team

Hi fluffytbw

Thank you, please let us know how you get on.

Debbie :-)

fluffytbw
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie

I have tried new cables and filters last night with the same results. 

New router has arrived today plugged in but still the same max link speed was 2Mbps but dropped after 5 mins 

Community Team

Hi fluffytbw

I've logged this to our network team as a fault is being detected on the line.

Regards

fluffytbw
Conversation Starter

Hi Arne

Thank you do you have any sort of time frame of when this will be looked in to and repaired? 

fluffytbw
Conversation Starter

Just got home and went to use my phone and the line is very noisy. Hope this is fixed soon. 

Community Team

Hi fluffytbw

Apologies for this.

This fault has been passed to BT Openreach for further investigation and we have received the following update:

An engineer is on the way to complete tests, you don't need to be at home. We will update as soon as we can. 

Thanks

Debbie

fluffytbw
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie

All done had a pinched cable on the pole which had badly perished. He has sorted the cable and now nearly back to normal, down speed is a little slower than what it was but will let it settle for few days. Then come back to update you. 

Regards

Community Team

Hi fluffytbw,

Thanks for the update :) How have you found the broadband speed since your last post?

Thanks

fluffytbw
Conversation Starter

Hi 

Speeds are stable at the moment and still below the 20Mbps I was having before. I have put my old router the HG635 back on as I require the 1Gbps network speed which the HG633 is only 100Mbps. But will keep an eye on it and keep you posted throughout the week. 

Regards

Community Team

Hi fluffytbw,

Ok thanks for the update. It usually takes DLM between 24-48hrs to start increasing the speed if the connection remains stable and the errored seconds are low.

Thanks