Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Super Router - Port Forwarding Stops Working

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

In your application, surely the internal port should be 80 not 8080, as your camera would seem to be using port 80. Whilst it won't affect the port forwarding, the DNS server settings in the camera should be set to 192.168.1.1, otherwise, your DNS requests from the camera will be inefficient.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
bamboccio
Team Player

I tried changing the DNS settings in my WebCam using:

But still after a while the webcam displays no IP address as per image before.  I now thank that the issue on port forwarding  could be related to the WebCam IP registration somehow becoming lost (the WebCam still works and I can access it at that IP address but the address does not show up in the router).

Many thanks!

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

The DNS should be 192.168.1.1 as I said in the camera.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
bamboccio
Team Player

Thanks - I will update the DNS in the WebCam.

The port is actually 8080 as there is a stream coming from there (it works on the internal address e.g. 192.168.1.2:8080/mjpeg provides the stream.

Also note that the port forwarding works in the beginning with th stream being available at myIP:1080/mjpeg

I try changing the DNS and report back.

Simone

Highlighted
bamboccio
Team Player

So the Business Support have politely declined to provide any support on the issue.

I now wonder if it is expected that, in the router interface, the WebCam, when I hoover over it with the mouse, initially shows MAC and IP address and then after a while it does only shows the MAC address.

Would you be able to confirm?

Thanks a million

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

It does forward to the MAC address, not the IP address. I think your problem is a bit more basic, I said in an earlier post your port mapping on the internal port on the HG635 points to port 8080:-

Port Mapping Application.png

However, your camera is listening on port 80:-

TPLInk cam HTTP port.png

Try changing the internal port on the HG635 to port 80.

Keith

Highlighted
bamboccio
Team Player
Hello,

I explained it before: port 80 is the port used by the management interface while port 8080 is where the video is served. I want to expose the video interface not the management interface.
As I said before the port mapping works for a while and then stops. I will try port 80 for the sake of it but it will not serve my purpose which is to see the video. Having said that I can test to see if the port stays open.

Thanks
Highlighted
bamboccio
Team Player

Hello,

As expected, port 80 exposed the managed interface.  It worked only for a while and then it stopped.  The issue appears to be consistent.  Any other ideas of what to check?

Many thanks

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

Thanks for that. I have tested 8080 on a residential router & it works fine. I cannot test on a business HG635 for obvious reasons. Are you sure that 8080 is not being randomly closed on the camera itself?

Keith

Highlighted
bamboccio
Team Player

I have tested port 80 too which is used to serve the management interface which is always up so I would say that the port does not close but would you be able to suggest a port forwarding test that I could do using say a PC?

Many thanks!

Simone

Highlighted
bamboccio
Team Player

Also in your test what happen if you remove the device that you are forwarding to, does the external port closes?

What happen if the device joins the network again?

Thanks

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

Unless the application on your camera opens the port ready to receive a connection, you will never get anywhere, even if the port forwarding is 100% correct. So if you disconnect the camera, port forwarding will never work.

From a PC connected locally to your router and with everything on the camera connected & the camera has opened port 8080, go to:-

https://portchecker.co/

On that page test port 1080 (as that is the external port) & it should report as open. If it does then from a smart phone that is disconnected from your local router, test a connection to the camera via mobile data. alternatively test from a PC connected to a different broadband.

Keith

Highlighted
bamboccio
Team Player
Hi Keith,

In my case port forwarding works for a while and then stops: I can access via static ip from an external network and port checkers shows the port as open. But then it stops.
Highlighted
bamboccio
Team Player
I asked the question of what happens to you if you remove the device to try and debug my setup. I know your trying to help and I am grateful.
What happens on your router? Does the port on port checker stays open? Or does it close?
Highlighted
bamboccio
Team Player

I could post a photo of the port being open on port checker and then closed. 

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

As I said before, it is the camera that opens the port, so if you disconnect it, then the port will be closed.

How often does the connection fail? Can you do a continuous ping to the camera's IP address from a PC on the local network to try to ensure the camera cannot go to sleep networking wise?

This is one of the reasons why we cannot support business customers on this forum, I don't have the business broadband or the router.

I am just a customer trying to help you despite not being paid for this at all.

Keith

Highlighted
bamboccio
Team Player

Hi Keith - I will try attaching the webcam to a network cable and see if that stays connected.

Highlighted
bamboccio
Team Player

The network cable stops the issue.  The port has been open for a day now.  So this must be a problem with the WiFi connection somehow dropping and then the port not reopening.

How can I get this fixed?

Thanks

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

Yes that could well be it if you are suffering from bad Wi-Fi interference.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

Please see my attached guide on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith