Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Super fast fibre Boost - very poor

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Popular Poster

About 3 months ago I upgraded from fast fibre to super fast fibre ( think they called it adding a fibre boost). The service is rubbish as I ever hardly get anywhere near 70 mbs which I am supposed to get. I have rung talk talk so many time times over the last 2 months and not resolving the issue. The problem is though it is often mostly in the daytime when I can call and sadly that is probably the only time of the day (afternoon) that I can actually get anywhere near 70mbs. Like now I have just done a speed test and it is 65MBS but most of the time (particularly in the evening when I need it most) it is not much better than standard fibre and a lot of time worse. Sometimes as low as 1.5 mbs. It really is a joke and I am fed up with it - and I am tied to this company for another 18 moinths.

They always try to make out it is my laptop that is configured wrongly - but I tell them it's not and I do the speed check on my phone to show them it is the same on another devise which is the same low mbs most of the time  - really poor service.

I am really fed up with calling them as it takes for ever and they never resolve for more than half. a day. They can reset it at the their end and it may improve but a few hours later it always drops again.

What can I do ?

Highlighted
Popular Poster
I thought this community was supposed to help us ? No one has answered my enquiry or come over to help!!
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @jonkino ,

The staff here will be able to take a look at this for you, but it will take them a day or two to get around to your post. It is best to not post again in this topic until they reply as adding new posts to your topic can delay it from getting picked up by the staff.

It is fairly normal for speeds to drop a little at peak time, however clearly your speeds are dropping considerably, and you would not expect them to drop this much. The staff will be able to check your connection and router to see if they can see any issues.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi jonkino,

I'm really sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks consistent. Just to confirm, does the speed still only drop of an evening? Have you also run a wired speed test when this happens to rule this out?

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Thanks for the comment - I will await to hear from staff. Cheers

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Thank you for your reply. That is the problem with the service, everytime Talk Talk check this in the daytime when I call, they say it's ok. But it isn't because it drops considerably at various random times in the day. This afternoon it has been fine as I have checked it three times on the Talk Talk Speedtest page and it has ranged between 55mbs - 68mbs which is great but you can guarantee that tonight is till drop to about 30mbs on average. I will do tests again tonight at intervals and post up tomorrow the results.

No I haven't done a wired test (you mean using ethernet cable?). I will do that tonight if it does drop considerable and post the results.

So to summerise. This afternoon three speed tests all fairly good: 55 mbs / 58 mbs / 68.7mbs / and just now 56.9 mbs

Thank you

john

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Further to my previous message.

Tried some evening speed tests to see what was happening to demonstrate. I have tried in different rooms and it looks like the router is not reaching out to the living room or upstairs. Check this out below.

I did tests minutes apart in different rooms and get completely different readings, which I know is bound to happen buy sometimes we are talking a big difference. Obviously in the daytime I am sat in the room where the router is so it always seems ok. In the evenings I am sat in the living room relaxing - but also still on the lap top from time to time checking emails etc and the signal is bad and the smart TV which is using the internet is just completely loosing the signal as it so weak. That should not be happening. I am in modern house with thin partition walls - surely the internet should work well throughout the house? Do people think I need a different router or some kind of booster system? 

Time.     Down /  Up.          Room Location when doing test

20.40 - 28 mbx / 17.2  - tried from the living room.

20.44 - 70 mbs / 18.6. - sat in same room as router (1.2 mts away from router).

20.47 - 34.6 mbs / 18.5  - tried from the living room.

20.57 - 34.7 mbs / 18.3 - sat in living room.

21.00 - 52.1 mbs / 18.6. - sat in same room as router

22.32 - 34.9 mbs / 16.7 - sat in Living room

22.34 - 60.2 mbs / 18.6 -sat in same room as router

23.16 - 69.8 mbs / 18.6 - sat in same room as router

23.17 - 34.3 mbs /17.5 - sat in Living room

23.22 - 25.9 mbs / 17.2 - sat in Living room

Please let me know what to do next.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid
You need to really test with just cable only and see what you get; Wi-Fi can be dodgy sometimes as other conflicting signals can play havoc with it sometimes.

You could try changing Wi-Fi channels see what that does. What about the freg` have you tried testing on both at same time the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz split them up give different names and see if changes
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi jon,

Thanks for the additional information. Have you tried different wireless channels and also separating the SSID's?

Split your router's SSID (wireless network name)

Change your wireless channel

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

H

I have no real idea about this what you suggest doing?

"You could try changing Wi-Fi channels see what that does. What about the freg` have you tried testing on both at same time the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz split them up give different names and see if changes". 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi.  OCE_Michelle

I am not sure what you mean about this and I don't really know how to do this?

"Have you tried different wireless channels and also separating the SSID's?" 

Why should I need to do this ? It's been okey until I recently upgraded?

John

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @jonkino ,

Ideally you need to do some speed tests wired (connected using the ethernet cable). This will allow you to prove if your speed issues are related to your Wi-Fi signal, or a problem with the broadband signal coming into your router from outside. If you consistently get good speeds wired, but your speeds fluctuate and drop a lot over Wi-Fi then that at least proves that your router is getting a good internet signal, and the issue is likely to just be with your Wi-Fi.

The two links that @OCE_Michelle provided are two things that you can try to help troubleshoot issues with poor Wi-Fi signal, the main reason why you might get poor performance over Wi-Fi is if your router is broadcasting its signal on the same channel as another nearby router (i.e. your neighbours), the signals will interfere with each other and it will significantly reduce the possible range and strength of your Wi-Fi signal.

You can use free smartphone apps like this to see what channels the Wi-Fi networks within range of your phone are using, this can help you change your router to a channel that is less congested.