Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Super fast fibre problem.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Team Player

A  couple of months ago I upgraded from normal fibre to superfast. For a couple of weeks it was excellent, speeds of 130-140 Mbps. For the past few weeks the desktop has been slower than my old standard broadband  was and sometimes even as low as 1.5 Mbps, but my phone is more or less always at the 130-140 Mbps. I`ve installed a new network adapter because my old one was probably around 6 years old but it`s made no noticeable difference.

Any ideas?

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi stevelane

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 160mb.

Please can you power down the router for a full 30 minutes and then run a speed test following this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Thanks for the reply😉

If I do a powerdown of the router and the white box underneath it, usually for a minute or so it does get faster but I will try a full 30 minute switch off and update. 

Highlighted
Team Player

Strange. I powered down the router and Openreach box for 30 minutes, tried checking with Talktalk`s speed checker and it gave me "Site can`t be reached" so I tried Speedtest.net and that loaded but couldn`t connect. I finally got Bing`s checker to work and the result was 10.82 Mbps.

I`ve used Talktalk`s checker and Speedtest previously and they always work.

Edit: I can run a check on my phone with both Talktalk and Speedtest.net with no problem.

Edit 2: 😁  All the above are with Chrome, I tried with Opera and they work no problem, result is 18.44 Mbps wifi and 151.56 Mbps wired, that`s with Speedtest.net.

Talktalk:

Wifi

All done!

We've finished measuring your speed, and here are your results.

19.6 Mbps

Your average download speed

29.6 Mbps

Your average upload speed

Wired

All done!

We've finished measuring your speed, and here are your results.

151.6 Mbps

Your average download speed

29.5 Mbps

Your average upload speed

Highlighted

Hi steve,

Thanks for the update. The wireless speeds are a lot lower than the wired speed. Do you see the same wireless speeds on different devices?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player
I just have the one desktop computer but the speeds are better on our phones, more or less as they should be.
Highlighted

Hi steve,

Thanks, is it just the desktop computer that is experiencing the slow speeds? Is this connected using any powerline adapters?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player
Yes, just the desktop Michelle. and no, I don`t use adapters. I think I`ll just leave it wired, that`s my best solution.
Highlighted

Hi steve,

Ok thanks for confirming and please let us know if you would like us to try and offer some advice on this.

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player
I certainly will, many thanks for your time, much appreciated.
Highlighted