cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Super slow fibre broadband..... still

20 REPLIES 20
Conversation Starter

my fibre broadband is still below 12mbs. it was well above 30+mbs a couple of months ago.  we have had engineers out to this and it is still poor.. we also pay 2.50 a month for the extra boost, which is pointless so I want that cancelling. 

The problem seemed to occur around the same time as adding the Boost.

Highlighted
Community Star

How do you connect wireless, wired, or a mixture? If a mixture is a wired connection better than wireless?

It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is.

To help diagnose this issue, please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http://192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password: admin        (unless you have set your own password).

If you use the HG633 & DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, they have their own unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.

Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.

On the HG633 this is at:-

Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information

On the DSL-3782 go to the home page & copy the stats from the DSL & IPv4 pages.

If you have the new TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub this can be seen via:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage Advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub

Click on the General tab then scroll down to the page to the xDSL section & copy & paste them into your reply.

Next can you also go to this speed checker (it is useful to have speed test figures taken at the same time as gathering the router's statistics):-

http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

Alternatively use:-

https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

Do this on both wireless & wired (if you have wired), but with never more than one device connected at a time.

Please can you paste the results here?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi warmfrost,

If you'd like the boost removing, could you contact our Loyalty team, they'll be able to do this for you

Line test is showing a potential voice (telephone) fault, are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service such as noise on the line?

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

hi Chris,

i was on the telephone to my mother for a while earlier and the phone made a squealing noise and then cut off, I didn't think anything of it at the time... could this be the reason for the slow broadband?  the dial town is steady and I didn't notice any crackling on the line.  it just squealed and then cut off.  I have used the phone again since then.

Highlighted

Sorry, this could have been me running the line test, did it happen at around the time of my last post?

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

it was sometime around 10 - 10:30am this morning..

Highlighted

Hi warmfrost,

Yes, that will have been me running the line test, apologies

How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router and one telephone?

Does your master socket have a Test Socket

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

hi,

we have 2 sockets.  the master socket in the bedroom with the router and telephone connected to it and a socket in the living room with just a telephone plugged into it.

the master socket has an adsl socket and a telephone socket, im guessing the test socket is behind the faceplate.

Highlighted

Hi warmfrost,

Your sync speed has now improved to 62.7Mbps, but the line test is reporting high errored seconds. Would you be able to connect the router to the test socket for 48 hours so that we can see if this improves your connection (yes the test socket is behind the face plate)

Please note, removing the master socket faceplate will disconnect your downstairs socket

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

hi chris,

I have connected router to the test socket.

Highlighted

OK thanks, can you bump the thread on Friday and we'll see if there's been any improvement over the previous 2 days

Chris

Highlighted
First Timer

My speed is 0.1MBS installed on 03/07 and they WILL NOT let me cancel? Sorry to sort of hijack your thread but they don't seem to be showing any of my complaints on here.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

hi chris,

the speed has improved to around the 40mbs mark.  the router is still connected to the test socket at the minute.  

Highlighted

Hi warmfrost

I've checked the connection stats and the speed has dropped to 55mb. There are errors showing on the line and the connection is dropping. Apologies for this.

Have you recently tested with a different router, cable and filter? I can then escalate this over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I have had the same problem with a different router, so i was sent the router i am currently using and the problem is still there.  Speed has dropped from around 40mbs last night to around 25 mbs now.  My router is still connected to the test socket.

Highlighted

Hi warmfrost

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you also send me a Private Message to confirm the name on the account, I can then raise this fault.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi warmfrost

Thanks for the Private Message.

I have escalated this fault over to our Network Team and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi warmfrost

The next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit to investigate further.

Would it be possible for the account holder to contact us so we can arrange this visit?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I will give you a call in the next couple of days to arrange a visit.