Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Superfast broadband and router

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Popular Poster

I have historically paid for a faster service and am currently on superfast to counter poor speeds. It's not poor speeds as an average, just poor for my service. I am getting 18-36 mbps and my guaranteed speed is 48 mbps. After speaking to CS who said I was getting 48.7 mbps and then to the complaint line who said I am getting 60 mbps (I have screenshots proving my speed) a replacement router was (very) reluctantly agreed.

My issue is that I have been sent the replacement a HG635 which I got rid of a few years ago for my current DSL 3782 in an effort to obtain better speeds. Surely going to older technology is not going to increase my speed?

Does this sound right? I am seriously losing patience with TT after many years of not getting the service that I am paying for. What is the very latest best performing router?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Andysam13

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi andysam13,

Welcome to the Community

The HG635 doesn't have older tech than the 3782, they are both current models

Your current sync speed is 67.8Mbps. Do you experience low throughput speeds on devices connected to your router by Ethernet cable or wifi?

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Slow speeds on both, Chris and wi-fi dissemination throughout the house is terrible. Speed right now is typical of what we normally get, screen shot attached from a few mins ago. Is the HG635 as good as the 3782? I have researched on here on there was about nearly 2 years ago saying the HG635 was obsolete?

A few months ago an engineer attended and used his router to test the line and declared it "fast enough" but stated he wasn't sent to test or change our existing router. Trying to explain everything to a call center operator working from a script has been extremely frustrating!

2019-07-05.png

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Slow speeds on both, Chris and wi-fi dissemination throughout the house is terrible. Speed right now is typical of what we normally get, screen shot attached from a few mins ago. Is the HG635 as good as the 3782? I have researched on here on there was about nearly 2 years ago saying the HG635 was obsolete?

A few months ago an engineer attended and used his router to test the line and declared it "fast enough" but stated he wasn't sent to test or change our existing router. Trying to explain everything to a call center operator working from a script has been extremely frustrating!

2019-07-05.png

Highlighted
Popular Poster

The comment about the obsolescence came from a Community Team member BTW.

Highlighted

Hi andysam13,

"The comment about the obsolescence came from a Community Team member BTW."

Really, I certainly wouldn't describe the HG635 obsolete,we still supply it, could you post a link to the thread containing the comment please and I'll take a look?

Did you run this speed test on a device connected to the router by Ethernet cable? Was it the only device connected to the internet at the time?

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/HG635-vs-HG633/m-p/2014545

The speeds are no different wired to wireless. We usually have 2-3 devices connected at any one time, but I stop all use when testing. I must have at least 100 screenshots of speeds below my guarantee.

Highlighted

Thanks for the link - fivishtt isn't a member of the Community Team and what he says about the HG635 being obsolete is just his opinion (which I disagree with)

Could you run a couple of speed tests at least 10 minutes apart on the My Account speed checker, on a device connected to the router by Ethernet cable

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

OCE_Michelle

Community Team

Hi andy555,

We no longer supply the HG635 router. Just to confirm, are you referring to the wired and wireless speeds?

Thanks

Michelle said we no longer supply it, not that it's obsolete. Michelle's comment is aimed at the OP, a TalkTalk residential customer, when she said we no longer supply the HG635 she was referring to normal residential customers, we still supplied the HG635 to our Business and UFO customers 🙂

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Faster on ethernet (45mbps)  but the same low speeds reported on 2 different laptops (circa 25mbps at maximum)

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Is the HG635 the best router that TT can supply to me?

Highlighted

Thanks for running the tests, do the speeds improve if you move the device closer to the router?

"Is the HG635 the best router that TT can supply to me?"

Our latest router is the wifi hub, we can't supply it free of charge but it can be purchased from our online store.

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Those test are next to the router, unplugging the cable and using wi-fi whilst next to it.

I do find it odd that TT aren't willing to rectify this issue for a customer that has been with them for around 10 yrs.

Highlighted

Unfortunately we can't guarantee wireless speeds as so much depends on the local environment 

Is the router situated close to other wireless or electrical devices that could be causing interference?

Chris