Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Superfast fibre only 38mbps

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

I recently upgraded to Superfast Fibre broadband with the contracted offer.

I decided to go the whole hog because it was only an extra £2.50. 

I was told there was an adjustment period of 14 days to tweak the line so I decided to see the download speed I was getting and got 38mbps. 

I know that's not slow but I'm paying for upto 67mbps so whats the point in paying for that service if I'm not getting it, I might as well be paying for the Faster Fibre broadband plan and be geetting the same speeds?

I called TalkTalk and they said that the speed I was getting was still an acceptable speed under the Openreach guidlines and if I downgraded or removed the superfast boost my speed could be effected. 

This is what I think..My phone line can't physically receive faster than 38mbps and if so why was the plan offered to me when this could have been tested before? 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi stephenh72

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Done..

Highlighted

Hi stephenh72

Thank you.

I can see that the speed has increased past 40mb. Please can you power down your router for a full 30 minutes and run a speed test following this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Restarting the router after 30 mins has decreased the speed to 27mbps.

Highlighted

Hi stephenh72

Are you running a wired or wireless speed test?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

I ran both wireless and just to confirm I ran it wired. both the same result.

I'm now upto 45 download and 12 upload. Not slow but still not close to 67mbps.

Highlighted

Hi @stephenh72

Can you check the Telephone to see if there is any noise or interference on the line. 

Thanks 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Sorry for the delay. No interference.

Highlighted

Hi stephenh72

Thanks for your reply.

Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

yes

Highlighted

Hi stephenh72,

Do you just have the router connected to the test socket via a micro filter? Do you currently have anything else connected to the test socket in addition to your router?

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Microfilter with router and phone.

Highlighted

Hi stephenh72,

Thanks for the information. Your current speeds are within the predicted range for your line and above the guaranteed minimum.You can cancel the speed boost if you don't feel the additional speed is worth the extra cost.

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

OK, So what will happen to the speed if I remove the Superfast Boost.

Highlighted

Hi 

If you remove the boost,  Your download speed wont go over 40mbps , and your upload speed wont go over 10mpbs

Regards

Highlighted
Popular Poster

So it wont drop below 38mbps?

Highlighted

Hi stephen,

Are you referring to the sync speed or the throughput speed? The maximum sync speed without the speed boost is 40mb, however the throughput speeds are usually around 80% of the sync speed.

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

I mean the speed that the Speed test records. In layman's terms. If I'm only getting 45mbps maxed out on Superfast Boost and I remove it then what am I expected to get if I remove it and run a test on Fast Fibre? Shouldn't I get the max throughput of 38 mbps because it's proven that I can get 45mbps?

Highlighted
Philosopher

If you remove the boost, the router should sync to the cabinet equipment at 40/10 the capped rate for a line without the boost.

As for speed test results, WiFi can be variable depending on where you are in your home, the number of devices connected and possibly interference from neighbours, depending on how close they are.

A wired speed test with just ONE device connected, should give you a result very close to your sync speed.

My sync speed is 31.2/5.08

Wired speed tests always give me 30/4.9 and this has been the case for years.

My best WiFi test still gives 29.4/4.8 on the 5GHz band using a very new laptop and a completely clear channel.

These are actual real-world results.

Martin