cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Swapping from fast broadband to Fibre Optic !

ANSWERED
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Steve82
First Timer

Hi,

We've recently swapped over from fast broadband to Fibre Optic. My computer is upstairs and the Router downstairs. With fast broadband I was constantly showing as five bars and signal strength 'Excellent'. Since swapping over to Fibre it keeps fluctuating.

Is this because we've only just swapped over and its all sorting itself out ? Thank you

KeithFrench
Community Star
Solution

No, this sounds like purely a wireless issue, if it is the same router on before & after your move to fibre, someone near you may now be using a channel that conflicts with yours. Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

If you have the HG633, HG635, DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, they are dual-band routers & offer both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http😕/192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and if the HG635 a password of "admin" as well, or if the HG633, DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

HG633/635 go to:-
"Customise my wireless network"

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "Wireless 5 GHz SSID" field. Then click "Save".

DSL-3782 go to:-
Settings > Wireless (Wi-Fi)

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the 5 GHz "SSID" field. Then click "Save".

TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub

Go to:-
Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi 5Ghz gear icon > Basic

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "SSID" field. Then click "Apply".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Having said that, there is another approach which can be better, which is to use Band Steering. This will automatically move any 5G compatible device connected to the 2.4G band to the 5GHz band. This is available on the HG633 (V2.00), DSL-3782 (V1.10) and the TalkTalk Home Hub. To use this leave both network names identical and on the HG633 enable Band Steering from the initial Wi-Fi menu.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Steve82
First Timer

You Sir, have been a MASSIVE help here to me. Going into the Router settings and having the 5 ghz has helped sort this. Everything you have replied with has been easy to follow and you have made it vewry simple for me to understand.

Thank you very much !!!

Steve82
First Timer

How do I undo 'Best answer'. I meant to award this toKeithFrench.

KeithFrench
Community Star

You can't undo a best answer, but you can have more than one.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Cumbrae30
Team Player

Hi, I am about to update from fast broadband to fibre, does it happen smoothly or were you without broadband for a period of time?

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Cumbrae30 

I have posted on tour own thread that you have created.

Keith

Cumbrae30
Team Player

It happened very smoothly.

It is months after now and occasionally while I am watching a programme the programme switches itself to an alternative programme itself.

Does anyone have the solution to this please

Community Team

Hi Cumbrae30,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own thread and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks