I was switched to Faster Fibre under an Openreach upgrade, the go live date was 3rd February, but this morning found out it was live from 1st February.
The Internet connection seemed sluggish on Sunday 2nd and today after the upgrade had fully processed, it still is.
My homepage used to load quickly, but now takes at least 20 to 30 seconds to show.
Earlier today the speeds were 19.9 mbs download and 7.1 mbs upload, roughly half the average advertised at 38 mbs.
I had a web chat with the Tech Team and a call back is due between 2:00 pm and 4:00 pm today to try further options.
In the meantime I looked here and tried the disconnection of the Router for half an hour, after which the speed was only 8.9 mbs and 1.7 mbs, later it was 22.4 mbs and 7.00 mbs, currently it's down slightly to 21.4 mbs and 7.00 mbs. Will the speed increase over time?
Fibre is all well and good, but from the telephone pole to the master socket in the hallway is about 100 foot line or so of copper cable, this is approximately 44 years old. So am I likely to get anywhere near the advertised average speed of 38 mbs?
Anyone have any suggestions or advice?
Solved! Jump to the Best Answer.
Can you please update your community profile to include your:
We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.
Thanks for updating your Community Profile.
I've completed a line test which has detected a possible fault with the landline service. Is your landline service working ok? (any noise on the line)
When I 'text chatted' with Nokulunga in the Tech Team this morning (4th February), he arranged for a call to be made to explore further possible solutions between the times of 14:00 to 16:00, it's now 17:45 and no call has been received.
Also, after confirming to Debbie that the landline was working fine, although her investigations showed a possible fault, again no further contact or advice.
What's happening please?
Hi again Chris,
I've just run the tests again, initially it wouldn't work, I retried and got the following results -
23.8 mbs download and 0.0 mbs upload.
I then rerun this time the upload registered and the results for the second run are
23.8 mbs download and 7.0 mbs upload.
After I gave you the early morning test result, I performed a further test via WiFi and got -
20.3 mbs download and 6.9 mbs upload.
I noticed yesterday that the speeds increased gradually over the day, but the difference here between WiFi and cable aren't that significant, in fact the upload speed seems to have a maximum value of 7.0 mbs.
Thanks for running the tests. Do you just have the one telephone socket? Do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router?
There's the main socket in the hallway, that was installed roughly 1976 (it might have been upgraded at some time?) and is an old style BT with an ADSL filter to allow the telephone and Router to be connected, there is only one connection for a phone line, no separate plug in for the Router.
Plus there's a filter supplied by TalkTalk that fits on the lower portion of the box, in order to reduce line noise when Broadband was introduced from what was a dial up modem service that I had initially.
There are two extension lines solely for telephones, one in the lounge and one upstairs in the main bedroom, both sockets are fitted with an ADSL filter.
Thanks for the photos
Would you be able to disconnect the telephones an filters on the extension sockets and then switch the router off for 30 minutes then switch back on and we'll check to see if the speed increases