Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Switched to Faster Fibre.

ANSWERED
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi,

Morning, I've done as you suggested and left the Router on all weekend after the visit by the OpenReach engineer on Friday 7 February.

I've run speed checks over the weekend and one this morning at 09:05 am.

Today's result is -

11 ms response time, 20.8 mbs download and 6.8 mbs upload 

This is pretty much the area for the other tests done over the weekend and although the download is the highest figure since Friday, it's no where near the average quoted of 38 mbs. The upload figure is more or less consistent with figures either 6.8, 6.9 or the maximum of 7.0 mbs. 

Any further suggestions please?

Thanks.

Dave

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Dave57

I can see some re connections on the line. Is the connection dropping?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

Sorry I pressed the wrong button there, clicked on 'Best' rather than reply.

As far as I'm aware there been no dropping of the connection, all seems to be working, but some slow access to the web.

Regards.

Dave

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

I've just checked the speeds again, at 10:30 am - they're now

10 ms response time, 22.3 mbs download and 6.8 upload.

A slight improvement on earlier figures.

Dave

Highlighted

Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply.

If the speed doesn't increase any further then we may need to arrange a Openreach engineer visit to the property.

Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

If you are able, please refer back to the pictures I sent to Chris last week, (message 17).

The master socket is an old style BT one, it does not have a test socket for the Router, it's connected by an ADSL filter via the telephone line.

The socket may have been upgraded in the dim and distant past as it says BT on it, but the set up including the 100 foot plus of copper cable line into the property from the nearest phone pole, is more or less the same as it was when installed in (I think it was) 1976, when it was Post Office Telephones.

Regards.

Dave

Highlighted

Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply.

I've just checked your photo, thank you. If you remove the 2 screws on either side off the face plate is there a test socket underneath?

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

No, it's just another socket that fits the connector for the telephone, no separate test socket for the Router, I've been asked this question previously, that was when I'd just joined TalkTalk from BT and due to the BT services being rolled to other providers via the 'Local Loop Un-bundling' I lost my Internet for about three months.

I think if it helps the socket was fixed in February 1982, previously the phone when first installed was hard wired to the system, sockets weren't in use back then.

The only reason we had the socket fixed, is that at that time telephones were only available to rent from BT and ours got eaten by our Old English Sheep dog who took exception to it ringing when no one was at home, so it had to be replaced and the engineer fitted the socket at that time..

I hope this information helps.

Dave

Highlighted

Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you leave the router switched on and post back on this thread tomorrow. We can then check the sync speed again.

If the speed hasn't increased then we can look to arrange a BB engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for your reply.

The speeds seem to fluctuate, I tested again at 11:10 am the details obtained were

10 ms response time, 20.0 mbs download and 6.8 mbs upload speeds.

A further one taken at 12:00 pm,

11 ms response time, 20.5 mbs download and 6.8 mbs upload speeds.

I'll follow your suggestion as regards the Router and will come back to you tomorrow.

'Bye for now.

Regards.

Dave

Highlighted
Community Star

@Dave57 wrote:

No, it's just another socket that fits the connector for the telephone, no separate test socket for the Router....

Sorry to butt in, but you wouldn't have a "separate" test socket for the router, just a regular phone socket. If there is indeed one of those beneath the faceplate could you try connecting there using the plug in microfilter? Forgive me if I have got this all wrong!

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@ferguson

No problem at all, thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that tomorrow morning, but I've just finished an hour long call with the technical department and a manager called Joe, he's arranged for an OpenReach engineer to call tomorrow afternoon to test the outside line.

Everything else that's been done so far hasn't unfortunately cured the problem, it wouldn't surprise me if it's not something to do with with the wiring, the main line into the house is 45 years old and has possibly seen better days. 

Thanks.

Dave

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi,

Yesterday I had a conversation with Debbie as regards the speeds on the system since being upgraded to fibre.

Since then, I have received a call from TalkTalk, from Joe in the technical department, he ran further tests last evening for about an hour, although after making adjustments, the upload speed has increased slightly to the average of 7.0 maximum I had previously, it's now up to

7.1 mbs this morning.

The average download speed is currently 19.1 mbs with a connection time of 11 ms.

He has arranged for an OpenReach engineer to call this afternoon between 13:00 and 18:00 to check the line coming into the house. 

It could be where the fault lies, as mentioned previously it's now approximately 45 years old, the Internet wasn't around when it was first installed.

One thing I can try is the suggestion by ferguson to see if plugging the Router directly into the connection socket using a micro-filter makes any difference.

I'll try that now, and will come back shortly with the results.

Dave

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi,

I've just run several speed tests by removing the front plate and filter from the Master socket and using the filter, plugged the Router directly into the internal connection within the box.

I disconnected the telephone and with only the Router connected obtained the following speeds when trying the test.

10 ms connection, 17.1 mbs download and 6.0 mbs upload 

repeats of the test gave the following results -

10 ms connection, 19.8 mbs download and 6.0 mbs upload

11 ms connection, 19.6 mbs download and 6.0 mbs upload

It appears that the filter that is attached to the line does have some positive effect on the upload speed achieved.

The download figure has increased slightly over the first test run with the front plate and filter fitted.

I've just rerun the test after reassembling the socket and here are the figures now. -

10 ms connection, 19.3 mbs download and 6.7 mbs upload. 

Dave

Highlighted

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the update, please let us know how the engineer visit goes

Chris

Highlighted

I've removed the "best answer" as requested on your other thread 🙂

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris,

Openreach have been, the engineer, Simon has just left.

A new modern socket has just been fitted with separate connections for both the Router and the telephone line, he adjusted something at the exchange as well, he said he got speeds of 30+ mbs, that I assume is at the exchange, but after reconnection here, they are currently

11 ms with 20.2 mbs download and 7.2 mbs upload

So, I'll monitor them to see what happens.

There's a slight improvement in the upload speed and the download seems to be picking up as well. I just rerun it and got the following -

11 ms with 20.4 mbs download and 7.2 mbs upload.

Joe is due to telephone me back later this week, so I'll monitor the situation and and report back to you once the system has had chance to adjust.

Many thanks to you all for your help.

Dave

Highlighted

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the update, glad to hear you've seen some improvement 

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi,

Joe, the Technical Manager is due to telephone me sometime before 13:00 today as a follow up to the visit by OpenReach on Tuesday.

Just to keep you up to date, I've left the Router on all the time since the visit Tuesday afternoon. A reading taken at 10:15 am yesterday gave results of -

11 ms, 20.6 mps download and 7.2 mps upload

Today at 08:15 am the details were -

11 ms, 19.6 mps download and 7.5 mps upload.

However, iTunes was performing a background download, which I wasn't aware of, so rerunning the test at 08:45 am I now get -

11 ms, 19.2 mps download and 7.5 mps upload.

The upload seems to be increasing, the download speed however, is not.

The download speed is no better than before the switch over to Fibre, sometimes worse, yes you might reach somewhere near the supposed average speed of 38 mbs at the exchange, but by the time it gets to me, I'm lucky if it's over half that.

I hope TalkTalk take this into account when the contract renewal is due in August.

I wasn't keen on the upgrade, as I knew that it wouldn't have much effect, managed to cancel it once, but it was reinstated. I don't want to be paying for something that I can't get.

I'll let you know the result of the call from the Tech Team later, I just hope that he doesn't "tweak it" anything, as last time that too reduced the overall speeds received.

Dave

PS: just run another test at 09:00 now -

11 ms, 19.8 mps download and 7.4 mps upload.

Highlighted

Thanks for keeping us updated Dave.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.