Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Switched to Faster Fibre.

ANSWERED
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Dave

Thank you for completing these tests. This helps us to rule out issues with the wired connection.

@KeithFrench provides really good advice on improving wireless performance. Keith could you help please?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for that and recommending @KeithFrench.

He may have his work cut out, I'm a complete novice when it comes to delving into the Router settings and making adjustments.

Regards.

Dave

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Dave57 

Debbie has asked me to help you, at six pages, I am not even going to start reading through all of the other posts, but I assume you are still using your DSL-3782.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

The DSL-3782 is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

Go to:-
Settings > Wireless (Wi-Fi)

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the 5 GHz "SSID" field. Then click "Save".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Having said that, there is another approach which can be better, which is to use Band Steering. This will automatically move any 5G compatible device connected to the 2.4G band to the 5GHz band. This is available on the DSL-3782 (V1.10), to use this facility, leave both network names identical.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@KeithFrench 

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for replying, hopefully now I'm on the last leg of getting the speed issue settled, it looks as if the line problems have been solved, fingers crossed.

Please could you send me the guide you mention in your post and I'll do my utmost to get the information you need to advise me of the best settings.

As an aside, having a quick look at the tray icon for WiFi, my laptop is showing 12 separate networks including my TalkTalk connection, plus one more for others. Most are showing less than full strength signals except for one.

It's listed as BTWifi-with-FON, which shows as mine, maximum signal strength, it's an unsecured network, I wonder if this could be the problem?

Thanks in advance for any assistance that you can give me, most appreciated.

Regards.

Dave

Highlighted
Community Star

Please see my attached guide on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@KeithFrench 

Thanks Keith.

I'll try it out and let you have the results as soon as I can.

Dave

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@KeithFrench 

Hi again Keith,

I've run the Acrylic application, seems as if the "Network Quality" tab is now only active if you purchase the Acrylic Pro version, but I've included a screen shot anyway.

I hope I've done everything right, I'm a novice on this, so if I've got something wrong, or you need me to run it again, please let me know.

Here are the screen shots.

Many Thanks.

Dave1. Signal Strength.PNG2. Network Quality.PNG3. 2.4GHz Networks.PNG4. 5GHz Networks.PNG

Highlighted
Community Star
Solution

Hi @Dave57 

The Network Quality tab is not really very important. Your 2.4GHz band is the problem and in your case, there is not much you can do about it. The problem is that channel 11 where your router is, is about the best channel, but you do not have a strong enough signal strength compared to the two others using this channel.

I would recommend considering, checking the router location next.

This is the best router location, but obviously, this is not always practical & a compromise has to be reached.

The general rule is to keep it away from:-

1. Cordless phone (DECT) base stations
  2. TVs
  3. Loudspeakers & any sub-woofers (including those used with a PC)
  4. Computer monitors
  5. Electrical appliances – they often transmit their own signals that can interfere with Wi-Fi signals.
  6. Bluetooth devices – they operate on the same Wi-Fi frequency as your broadband, which can cause signal problems.
  7. Mirrors – they actually reflect Wi-Fi signals, stopping them from passing through walls and reflecting them back into the room.
  8. Anything containing large amounts of water – things like fish tanks and boilers can absorb Wi-Fi signals like a sponge.
  9. Large metal objects – radiators, for instance, will have the same effect on your Wi-Fi as mirrors. If you have a tower PC case with an internal WiFi card, the metal of the case can block signals to & from the antennae if they are located behind the tower case.
  10. If you are using a USB Wi-Fi adapter, use a USB socket on the front of the PC, as there is more open space around it than at the rear. If a USB extension cable is used, try to ensure that it is fairly short, so as the power from the computer is not attenuated. Long extension cables can cause the adapter to not have enough power from the computer to work correctly.

As a very general rule, the signal travels best on the same floor as the router and to the floor below. It does not always propagate very well to a floor above the router. However, with more modern routers, if they have a higher specification, they may be able to get the signal upstairs OK, but your ability to receive it also depends on your device's network adapter being of a higher specification, as well as its age.

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@KeithFrench 

Hi Keith,

Thank you for the reply and recommendations.

From the list, nothing really applies and it looks as if there is little I can do, as you say the strongest 2.4 MHz channel is 11 and there are two stronger signals on that already.

The Master Socket is located in the hallway of my house, that makes Ethernet cable rather impractical and connections awkward.

Seems as if I've gone as far as I can with this.

Looks as if I'll eventually be asked to pay extra when the contract comes up for renewal for something that I didn't ask for or want in the first place and can't receive any extra benefit from, Fast Broadband was perfectly fine and a lot less trouble.

Thank you for your time and effort with this problem..

Regards.

Dave

@OCE_Debbie - for information

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Dave57 

No, it is not as far as you can go at all, I just wanted to rule a few things first. You will need to forget the 2.4GHz band though. In your case, like so many others, the success of broadband has meant your area is too congested for it to work OK.

You can still consider these two options as Ethernet cables are not practical:-

1. Invest in 5GHz network adapters
  2. Use power line adapters to extend Ethernet connections over your electrical wiring.

Keith

Highlighted
First Timer
Years back I got so fed up with having to cart my computer et al to the other end of my home when 'testing' my computer/broadband connections at the 'first line in' socket that I had my Master Socket moved by Openreach, it's now under the desk where I sit. They took the wire up the wall (above the original socket) into my loft, across and down into my computer room (I live in a bungalow). Just a suggestion that may work for you - wasn't sure if you knew it can be moved.
Good luck.
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@KeithFrench 

Hi Keith,

Thanks you for the extra advice.

Funnily enough, I've already ordered a power line adapter from the TalkTalk accessories site, to see if that makes any improvement, although a friend has advised that they too suffer from signal reduction, but it might work.

I know the networks are congested, but as a layman, it brings into question if the 'super routers' are fit for purpose, my house is a small semi-detached, basically a two up two down and next door adjoining has no Internet at all.

That means the interference from the two other sources is from elsewhere, I find it strange that whatever provider and router they have manages to produce a signal stronger in my property or at least strong enough to give me problems, than the strength of signal produced from the TalkTalk router, seems the HG633's and DSL3287's couldn't broadcast their way out of a damp paper bag. Yet apparently I'm supposedly receiving excellent signal strength from both models.

I could't see the TalkTalk signal interfering with their network, the way theirs does with mine.The signal speed on Wi-Fi is about half that of the one from an Ethernet cable.

@Dappy suggests considering having the master socket moved, I'm reluctant to have that done, it would be expensive to have OpenReach do this, plus it wouldn't fully address the WiFi issue either.

I'll see what happens when I try out the power line adapter, then I'll have a look to see what 5 MHz there are and possibly try one of those.

Regards.

Dave

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@OCE_Karl 

Hi Karl,

Earlier this month you were kind enough to send out a D-Link DSL-3287 Router in the hope that it might cure the problems encountered since OpenReach upgraded the local services to Fibre.

It hasn't, and the old Huawei HG633 seems more responsive, although it too is far from perfect, I've arranged for a returns bag to send the DSL-3287 back to TalkTalk, the returns bag is being sent out to me today.

I've also made enquiries to have the service returned to Fast Broadband when the contract comes up for renewal in August, I've had enough with something I didn't want in the first place and seems unlikely that I'll get full benefit from.

The old Broadband was much better and more stable and hopefully will be again than Faster Fibre has been in the last few weeks.

Thanks for trying and to everyone else that has provided services, advice or assistance in the past few weeks.

Regards.

Dave

Highlighted

Hi Dave

Thanks for letting me know.

Regards

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
First Timer

Hello, i have just been reading through your recent posts, i also have been suffering with the same problems as you have mentioned. i signed up to faster fibre broadband last september, for the first 30 days of the cooling off period i was getting a download speed of 38.7mbps and a upload speed of 9.7 mbps and i was very pleased with that but after the 30 day period had expired the speed had dropped increments. I contacted TalkTalk tech team and they arranged for a engineer from BT Openreach to call to my property to install a V4 line socket but there was no change to the various speed issues that i am still experiencing. TalkTalk so far have sent me 2 Routers and a further two visits from BT Openreach, my internet connection is hardwired from the router the speed i am getting now is between 29.8 mbps and 30.7 mbps and the upload is constant at 6.6 mbps. I will be glad when my 18 month contract expires as i do not think it is worth £26.00 a month for the hassle it has caused and i regret changing from normal broadband to faster fiber.

Highlighted

Hi silver star 4709,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own thread and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster
thanks my problem with speed is not wi fi wired
R Tuckwood