would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Switched to Faster Fibre.

ANSWERED
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi,

I've been expecting some sort of reply to my post of this morning, reporting on the state of the Faster Fibre service after trying out the D-Link Router.

I've not heard anything back yet, are you able to suggest anything else which might resolve the problems with the Internet connection dropping and the slower than advertised average speed that I am getting?

Thanks.

Dave

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Dave,

Presumably the Openreach engineer has tested the quality of the copper and fibre connections between the exchange, their cabinet and your house? Also, the distance from your house to the cabinet in the street where your telecomms line is connected can affect things too. As I understand it, at 1200 metres from the cabinet (actual cable route, not "as the crow flies"), you're likely to get no more than about 24 Mbps max as a sustained download speed. Any further away, and your max sustainable speed is likely to be slower. Conversely, in order to get around 38Mbps, you should be no further away from the cabinet than about 500 metres.

Can't think of anything else that might help - that's the limit of my knowledge, I'm afraid.

Regards,

Geoff

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@Geoff_B 

Hi Geoff,

As far as I know, all that should be good, but the actual connection into the house comes from a wire from a telephone pole and would be approximately 100 to 120 foot and is roughly 45 years old.

Whether either tested for faults in any connections with that is doubtful, as each time they've called the weather was extremely windy, especially unsuitable for climbing up to do any checks.

I'm just now waiting for one of the OCE's to come back to me with any further suggestions or advice, but the longer this goes on, the less I hear from them.

I wish I hadn't been transferred from Fast Broadband, things might not have been perfect, but it was a lot less hassle.

No doubt I'll have more problems in August when the contract expires and TalkTalk will try to increase the monthly charge as I'm on 'Faster Fibre'.

Regards.

Dave

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi,

Things haven't improved over the weekend, since connecting the D-Link DSL3782 Router.

The Service Centre function on my account page still shows the Internet is disconnecting and the speed is currently 38 Mb.

a speed test taken this morning at 10:30 shows the following -

11 ms ping, 13.9 Mbps download and 7.5 Mbps upload.

The download speed again is still very erratic and the figure of 13.9 Mbps is the slowest recorded since being switched to Faster Fibre, the upload figure remains constant throughout.

I understand that there is an outstanding fault recorded for my address, any idea of what is happening, or any further suggestions? ,as I have not heard from anyone since last week.

Also, I asked about what I need to do to return the D-Link Router to you, no details were enclosed with it, but have not had a reply on this either.

Thanks.

Dave

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Dave

Apologies for the delay.

The line test has not detected any faults however there were re connections on the line but the connection appears to have remained stable since 22/02.

Is the connection still dropping?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I can't say I've noticed any dropping of the connection while I'm online, it's sometimes just very, very slow.

The Service Centre page on my account still shows a '!' in an orange triangle against 'Your Stability' and has done so since just after I was switched to Faster Fibre. I assume that this updates each night at midnight, when the systems checks are performed. Changing the Router over has not altered this warning.

There is also a '!' against 'Your Line Speed' as well, that is puzzling me, the estimated speed is supposed to be between 25 Mb - 40 Mb, the test last night reduced it from 39 Mb when I last checked Friday to 38 Mb, both being near the very top of the range, yet it still shows as a warning, strange.

I would be ecstatic if the speed when doing a line test was anywhere near the supposed average of 38 Mb. Is this 38 Mb the figure at the exchange, or what I should expect to get at my home connection?

Although on a test the old Huawei HG633 hit a download speed of 37.3 Mbps, twice very briefly when connected via a cable, it very quickly dropped to anywhere between 18 Mbps and around 24 Mbps and continues to fluctuate each time a test is done, the lowest speed reading was that obtained today at 13.9 Mbps, using the D-Link Router. The upload speed is reliably constant at 7.5 Mbps to 7.6 Mbps whichever Router is used. 

I don't know what else to try, I'm not sufficiently technically confident to alter any Router settings or channels. I see that they are set to automatic, and the IP address to dynamic, whether this has any baring on the problems I don't know.

Any further advice or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Regards.

Dave

Highlighted

Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply.

If you don't check the speed (run speed tests) how is the performance of the connection? Are pages slow to load or do you experience buffering?

Are wired connections any better performance wise?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

Either way things are the same, pages sometimes are slow to load and on my Homepage, Yahoo, if there's a video within the story, there is buffering occasionally, not always.

There is little difference in performance when using WiFi over a wired connection, however, it is not practical to use a wired connection, the master socket being located in the hallway of the house.

The response is much like the speed tests, in that it can vary wildly, whereas when I had Fast Broadband things were much more stable.

Dave

Highlighted

Hi Dave,

Sorry for the delay, one of the line tests is now detecting a possible fault. Could you let me know if you have a dial tone please?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for the reply, sorry for my delay in getting back to you, I've been checking things out

There's a dial tone on the telephone and I'm able to make calls out.

Initially when a neighbour tried to phone in, although the display on the phone lit up, there was no sound, pressing the receiver button on the cradle initially made no difference, but then the call suddenly connected.

They retried immediately and this time the phone rang as normal.

A further test call was made 10 minutes or so later, that too was OK and I was able to answer it as normal.

Details on the Service Status page of my account still shows the Internet as disconnecting, with a warning and also against the Line Speed, although it shows today as 39 Mb up from 38 Mb yesterday.

Speed tests today are fairly much the same as always -

09:15 - 11 ms ping, 20.5 Mbps download, 0.0 Mbps upload - possibly due to an update running silently in the background.

09:17 - 18 ms ping, 17.5  Mbps download, 7.5 Mbps upload.

09:25 - 19 ms ping, 19.8 Mbps download, 7.5 Mbps upload

09:37 - 10 ms ping, 21.3 Mbps download, 7.5 Mbps upload

Hope the information helps.

Regards.

dave

Highlighted

Hi Dave,

Thanks for checking. I've re-run the line test again since your last post and it's now showing a different fault (loop fault) which can sometimes be caused by internal wiring or equipment connected to the line. Would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket so we can run this test again please?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've done as you suggest, taken off the front plate and connected the Router to the socket with an ADSL filter.

If it's any help, I was a short while ago in the middle of a phone conversation when the line went completely dead, including the caller display, then came back again a few seconds later.

That has never happened before.

Regards.

Dave

Highlighted
Popular Poster
i switched fastest speed 39 nut 57 as prommised
R Tuckwood
Highlighted

Hi Dave

Thank you. I've re-run the line test again now and it's now clear. Would it be possible to run another 3 speed tests at the test socket, however could you leave at least a 5 minute gap between each speed test please. Could you also use the TalkTalk Speed Tester so we can see the results.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi roytuk,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own thread and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

I've run the tests requested via the TalkTalk Speed Tester, here are the results I got.

12:49 - 17 ms ping, 15.8 Mbps download, 7.5 Mbps upload.

12:54 - 10 ms ping, 19.2 Mbps download, Failed couldn't connect to server.

12:55 - 11 ms ping, 20.4 Mbps download, 7.5 Mbps upload.

13:00 - 11 ms ping, 18.9 Mbps download, 7.4 Mbps upload.

Thanks.

Dave

Highlighted

Hi Dave

I've checked the line test again and it's still clear with the router at the test socket.

Can you run some wired speed tests just so we can confirm if this is only affecting the wireless speeds?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

I will do, it'll take a while, it's oh soooo sloooow, even connected via a cable this morning, it's taken me 15 minutes just to get to answer your message.

Back as soon as I can.

Thanks.

Dave

Highlighted
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

That's the speed checks completed, I run them both with an Ethernet cable and using WiFi, here's what the results were.

Using an Ethernet cable

09:10 - 11 ms ping, 36.3 Mbps download, 7.5 Mbps upload

09:15 - 10 ms ping, 36.4 Mbps download, 7.5 Mbps upload.

09:20 - 11 ms ping, 36.2 Mbps download, 7.5 Mbps upload

and with WiFi

09:25 - 11 ms ping, 19.4 Mbps download, 7.4 Mbps upload

09:30 - 11 ms ping, 19.4 Mbps download, 7.5 Mbps upload

09:35 - 11 ms ping, 20.1 Mbps download, 7.5 Mbps upload

Obviously a great improvement using a cable, and this time the readings were consistent, but it's not ideal as the master socket is situated in the hallway of my house, looks as if other nearby WiFi signals may be interfering with mine as during the WiFi tests the Router was only 4 to 5 foot away from my laptop and the results were in the range previously given

Any further suggestions or advice please?

Thanks.

Dave.