cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Switching providers and connection quality query (using new hub)

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
First Timer

Hi! I'm switched my provider from Virgin (fiberoptic broadband) to Talk Talk (Faster Fibre) using uswitch and it's due to go live in a couple of days. I already have a hub from previous provider which is an entirely separate fibre connection and goes directly outside the house. The new hub that I received yesterday connects to the telephone line. My questions are: 1) How can TalkTalk guarantee fast fibre internet connection if it sends me a hub that connects to my old telephone line, which is obviously not a fiberoptic wire. 2) If the connection is bad when my broadband goes live, can my existing fibreoptic (virgin) connection be used in the future for TalkTalk fibre broadband? The reason why I'm asking is that I just know from experience that old telephone lines do not associate with fast fibre broadband, and it will lead to too much trouble and countless telephone conversations which won't lead to any results. Many thanks! Aleksei

Highlighted
Community Star

TalkTalk's Faster Fibre product is FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet), the last part of the connection comes down the old copper phoneline. Contrary to popular belief Virgin Media also use copper cable for the last part of the connection, although in their case it is coaxial. It is not possible to interchange connections between Virgin and BT Openreach sockets, the networks behind them are entirely separate.

Highlighted
Philosopher

Also, there is no "transfer" from Virgin to TT, the only thing you can do is port over your phone number.

Your Virgin service will continue UNLESS you cancel with them.

Martin
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

This article may be a good read. 

Anisa Khalifa
Highlighted
First Timer
Thanks! Very useful information
Highlighted
First Timer